Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747-fan

Procedure for starting up dark and cold

Guest 747-fan

Hello, I was wondering if it's entirely necessary to load up the PMDG demo flight every single time you want to start the airplane up from dark and cold?Would this be the correct procedure?:1: Load the PMDG demo flight2: Select airfield of choice 3: Adjust time/dateAnd only then you'll be sure every panel state is proper? That's quite a lot of extra work IMO. First you load the scenery from the demo flight, then you load the place you actually want to fly and then you'll need to load the time/date textures if needed. With FSX using two minutes to load anything, that's a lot of waiting. Is there no faster way of getting a Cold and Dark J41 at your preferred airfield and time/date?That said, the J41 seems at first glance to be worth the hassle, but I'd really appreciate a "load panel state" or a tip on how to trick FSX into loading dark and cold without loading lots of other stuff first.

You can create your own scenario and save it, then reuse it at as many locations as you want. However, there are not panel states saved in separate files as in the more expensive simulators.I preferred setting up a layover scenario where aircraft is on GPU but everything but vapor cycle airconditioning (I'm in Texas) is shut down, tanks are down to 700 lbs and seats are empty. I can put that flight at my favorite gates at any airport.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest 747-fan

OK thanks for such a quick reply. By scenario do you mean save a flight? as in:1: Load up with default aircraft at desired airfield and time/date.2: Load J413: Shut down J41 (somehow, I can't find any proper step by step shutdown checklist) 4: Startup J41 (Somehow - I can't find the engine start checklist either)

Checklists are in the AOM, and additional pdfs for printing out Normal Checklists can be found through the start menu under pmdg.Let's say I want to set up a layover flight at KDEN Gate G103:Start FSX select JS41 in desired livery from free flight, select KDEN at G103, date/time etc. and Fly.Shut down engines, attach GPU and set up ramp manager items for the park, unload pax and baggage and set fuel as desired. Now you can also turn off electrical or leave her on GPU power. This takes less than 5 min and once saved, you could reuse the scenario either at KDEN or any place of your choosing.To load the saved flight, I start free flight with my default Trike at KIAH, once loaded then I select from FSX menu Flight Load, etc.Hope this helps. EDIT: I recommend flying the tutorial flight to become familiar with the cockpit and the various methods used in the simulation.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest 747-fan

OK thanks a lot for that info, just what I needed to get things clear.I'm going to do the tutorial as soon as I've got access to a printer for the papers.The checklists (at least the ones in the PMDG_J41_Normal_Checklist.pdf file) quite elegantly skip both the startup and shutdown procedures. EG. you go from "Before start checklist "to "After start checklist" without the startup procedure itself.I've started to make my own based on the tutorial pdf, which is more of a full depth text than a checklist. It takes 3 full pages to run through what I've compacted down to about 10 items in a home made "startup checklist" of sorts.

I've attempted three times to create a "cold and dark" situation. Each time I reload it, the batteries and generators are already on, and that's not how I saved it. Is there anything else I need to do to get this accomplished?Curt Branch

Same here, l`ve switched off all the switches sooooo dark and cold.. saved it.. exit fsx restart fsx load with the saved flight and the batt are on and condition levers are not set where l set them.any help on this would be great Unless someone has a saved cold and dark they want to give out?ThanksPaul

For some of us in beta testing, it worked better if we started FSX with the default Cessna in Free Flight, and then selected the saved JS4100 flight. Give that a try and let us know how that works for you.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Yeah, Kurt's point is that you should always load a saved JS41 flight on top of a default free flight. FSX doesn't pass variables to the loading processes otherwise and there is no way to restore conditions. I think this is one of the short comings of relying on FSX instead of the panel state file method used by the other pmdg sims.

Dan Downs KCRP

Perhaps a little off topic here, but I can't even load the tutorial flight. It is not in my saved flights at all...Any ideas?Andrew

Andrew,It is a little off topic, but we can handle it. :( Have you tried a reinstall?

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Look in PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS for file KHPNKIAD_J41.RTE.If not there then search for file, installer should have put it in default or browsed to location.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok guys l tried a different way, loaded PMDG 747 cold and dark.. loaded the jetstream switched off all the other switches and condition lever to cut off.saved it.. reloaded FSX and loaded the saved file... batt on and condition levers in taxi mode... what the?Is it soooo hard to have a cold and dark with everything in its right order.. l want it that l have to setup everything.any help?PleasePaul

reloaded FSX and loaded the saved file... batt on and condition levers in taxi mode
No need to reload FSX, just change to your default flight (which shouldn't be a pmdg aircraft, I use the trike ultralight).After default is loaded, select FLIGHT LOAD from menu and everything should be in its place.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok your saying evertime l do a flight l have to save the flight? what happens if l want to start at a diff airport? when l press load it says fly now which takes me to the last saved airport... why couldnt they just have done the same as the 747?Thanks budPaul