Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mower

FPS report please

Guest Mower

How do the FPS compare so far to other PMDG products?Thanx.

Marginally better than the MD11, there isn't much in it to be honest, but the VC is much nicer in the Jetstream that is for certain.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Chris,I don't honestly have a major issue with the frames on the JS, was something I was dreading but If you tweak you scenery settings slightly you can get a good compromise.But all in all its pretty sweet !

By tweaking the J41's config manager, I get upwards of 50 FPS in the VC in flight. On the ground it is usually 30 or higher. Definitely better than the MD-11 on my computer.J41settings.jpgNote I don't ever use traffic in FSX... the main killer of FPS. I always fly multiplayer. Rarely I use UT2 in single player, but I've not tried it yet with the J41.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I haven't bought the MD-11 so I can't compare it to that but it is MUCH better than the 747X. I am running on Q6600 Stock, 4GB of RAM @ 800MHz, GeForce 8600GT 256MB and I am really satisfied with the performance. Very smooth. I am also running FEX clouds at 1024 X 1024 and GEX and got the sliders pretty up there. Using Nhancer as well. looking at your specs, you should really have no problems at all. I was impressed how little impact this plane had on the FPS and how it ran on my not-so-special machine.EDIT: I haven't even played with the Config Manager. Everything is High/Full version and the refresh rate is all at 100%. I might be playing with it later on but I really don't see a reason to.

I haven't bought the MD-11 so I can't compare it to that but it is MUCH better than the 747X. I am running on Q6600 Stock, 4GB of RAM @ 800MHz, GeForce 8600GT 256MB and I am really satisfied with the performance. Very smooth. I am also running FEX clouds at 1024 X 1024 and GEX and got the sliders pretty up there. Using Nhancer as well. looking at your specs, you should really have no problems at all. I was impressed how little impact this plane had on the FPS and how it ran on my not-so-special machine.EDIT: I haven't even played with the Config Manager. Everything is High/Full version and the refresh rate is all at 100%. I might be playing with it later on but I really don't see a reason to.
My framerates have actually dropped in comparison to the MD-11 and 747 and there is at least a 10 FPS difference. I am going to keep playing around with the config manager until I find the right balance.

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

TIP : If you should opt for one low model option then that should be the VC one not the external one. Vangelis

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

FPS drop significantly when looking at the flight deck door in the VC of the Jetstream. Other than that, it's a pretty solid simulation, fps-wise.

Erik L.

Depending on my settings in FSX and ATI I get approx 20-30fps but at Nice airport (Aerosoft) with my engines on fire it went to 7fps! that was a hairy landing (my first one).I usually lock to 36fps and most addons will comply, this one seems a little greedy but its managable.My specs are (off the top of my head) E8600 3.3Ghz (used to be 3.8OC but I destroyed a HD somehow) ATI HD4870 512MB, 4Gb ram(slowish) cheap asus MB, 22 inch monitor maxtor 10,00rpm HDD.Slightly below average FPS generally speaking.Dan.

By tweaking the J41's config manager, I get upwards of 50 FPS in the VC in flight. On the ground it is usually 30 or higher. Definitely better than the MD-11 on my computer.J41settings.jpgNote I don't ever use traffic in FSX... the main killer of FPS. I always fly multiplayer. Rarely I use UT2 in single player, but I've not tried it yet with the J41.
These settings cause a significant increase in performance for me. Normal panel options, low external model, and high VC settings (see wings +ice) makes an enormous different.Turning everything on makes for a slide show for me.... although, I notice no major difference between high and low quality.

These settings cause a significant increase in performance for me. Normal panel options, low external model, and high VC settings (see wings +ice) makes an enormous different.Turning everything on makes for a slide show for me.... although, I notice no major difference between high and low quality.
You won't notice a difference in quality. What you will notice with the optimized models is that you will not get visual icing effects (or passengers if you choose that option). While the ice is not texture or polygon intensive, they do add a significant number of "draw calls"... which for lower systems running FSX can lead to lower frame rates, especially when entering areas of high density autogen, heavy traffic, or complex airports.Even if you never leave the cockpit, the external model still generates overhead, so consider playing with those options first before moving to the model options for the VC.The "normal" resolution displays are 1/4 the resolution of the high definition displays, and as such, have considerably less overhead than the high resolution displays. While not as sharp, they are still very readable. These normal resolution displays may also benefit people who run their monitors at lower resolutions and who may be experiencing a shimmering effect when looking at the displays, especially when looking accross the cockpit to the first officer's side.The sliders for the displays to help as well. Try lowering the FO display refresh rate (unless you are flying from the right seat). If worse comes to worst, you can set the FO display refresh rate to zero to completely disable those displays, giving your PC an additional boost by clearing up all calculations necessary for drawing them.

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

TIP : If you should opt for one low model option then that should be the VC one not the external one. Vangelis
Why's that exactly? I've gone without passengers and icing for a long time. Planes are flown from the cockpit anyways, especially when its a cockpit as beautifully done as this one.I think it looks rather stupid seeing a wing shadow and light effects just randomly hanging in the air. Visible wings are a must for me.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I think what Vangelis is trying to say is that if flying in the VC and you are monitoring the instruments or looking forward toward the runway, for example, a lower resolution will make flying smoother whereas reducing the resolution of the external model won't make much difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, Vangelis.

This isn't proven, but at least in this J41, unlocking the FPS has considerably increased the smoothness in the VC for both me and my friend. For those of you struggling with performance, give it a try. This normally results in an even more stuttery experience in my other planes, but with the J41 it seems to love being "unlocked".

spacer.png