Sign in to follow this  
MrSpeaker

Getting Angry

Man I've tried and tried to get this thing started and can't even do that, what is with the tutorial, it just does not have any flow to it at all. I load the tutorial flight and follow it step by step, the engines seem to start but then quickly stop, no smoke or anything, I just don't understand the way its written, like in the prefilght you have the generators on but why does it tell you to turn them on again in the start up, things like this are really confusing, and as far as the stop latches I have no idea what is going on, if start the saved flight tutorial are they are already off. I have no idea about this plane at all, and doubt I will ever sort this thing out, I find the whole thing very awkward, I hope someone will write a better tutorial.

Hi Ian,It takes time to get use to the complex plane, I had serious problems starting it at first, then I took a step back and read the forum and the tutorials and finally I got there, this thread here helped me alot to understand how to start the JS41 - You may be having a problem with the whole Stop Locks part, if so i would suggest having a quick read, http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=259595I hope this works for you, aswell as it did for me,

Hey!There is nothing wrong with the tutorial, I flew the tutorial before and it worked fine. However from one part and this seem to be your problem as well. When I loaded the turorial flight and was going to start the engines, the propeller was in the Feathered position, if they are the start motor won't have the power to rev up the engine. You'll have to use the Un-Feather pump located just below the throttle quadrant. You can read about thus in the tutorial. I tried to load the turorial flight once more, this time the propeller stayed in the Start position all time.I hope this sort your problem.Regards,Patrik S.

Man I've tried and tried to get this thing started and can't even do that, what is with the tutorial, it just does not have any flow to it at all. I load the tutorial flight and follow it step by step, the engines seem to start but then quickly stop, no smoke or anything, I just don't understand the way its written, like in the prefilght you have the generators on but why does it tell you to turn them on again in the start up, things like this are really confusing, and as far as the stop latches I have no idea what is going on, if start the saved flight tutorial are they are already off. I have no idea about this plane at all, and doubt I will ever sort this thing out, I find the whole thing very awkward, I hope someone will write a better tutorial.

Ian,No need to get angry, I understand you are frustrated in getting the J41 started up. Have you tried loading FSX with the default aircraft and then loading the J41? This will set up the J41 with engines and everything running which will give you the opportunity to take her up for a spin relatively quickly but you'd still have to make sure a few switches are in the correct places before you takeoff :)Once you've gotten comfortable with the J41 in flight and on the ground, you can start shutting the engines down but before you do, bring the throttles into reverse to engage the stop locks and then shut down the engines via the overhead panel there are 2 buttons marked "Stop". Flip the covers and hit the buttons. Don't forget to turn on the GPU via SHIFT+2 to bring up the ramp manager, in the lower right quadrant you'll see a power cart, click on that.Now your set up for engine start. Try the tutorial once more, I'll be here to give you assistance. The J41 is a different airplane apart from the 747 and MD-11, it takes time learning but once you've mastered it, it'll be worth it. If its any consolation, it took me some time to learn her properly, poor Robert, he had to put up with my constant questioning about the J41 system :)Cheers,

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

I have been slowly getting through the tutorial and I gotta say it's a very detailed, step by step, and simple to follow tutorial. You just gotta be patient, do NOT try to get in the air as soon as possible. Don't skip steps. Follow it step by step. It takes time to learn the aircraft, and really isn't this one of the best things about our hobby?I have pretty much finished the Engine starting part in the tutorial and everything is fine. No smoke or fire or any abnormal things happening. Like I said, take it one step at a time. I find this a great and easy to use tutorial. If you mess up, reload and go back. And of course, follow the checklists. I hope everything works out for you.Best regards,

Alright guys thanks for the soothing words :) The problem is the stop latches, I got kinda confused, they have to be on for engine start, I thought they had to be off. Im on the ground right now trying to get this thing set up and I notice if I press the unfeathered switch they do go into stop lock position, but then in about 2mins it goes back into feathered position, Im going to try doing a quick flight then shut down the plane properly and save the flight and hopefully this will engage the stop locks for the rest of my flights, thanks for the help guys.

they have to be on for engine start, I thought they had to be off.
ON for engine start, off for takeoff however.

It amazes me how many ask/demand a more realistic simulation and then turn around and get angry because it is not as easy to operate as a default airplane (ctrl+e).A real pilot has to study books and then get trained in the aircraft for some time before "yanking and banking".I think the solution is simple. If a person wants a high end realistic simulation, be prepared to use it accordingly..ie:closest to real world.If not, stick to default planes.I have read the tutorial twice. It is obvious, or should be, that someone(s) have spent quite a bit of time and care to create it. I find that there is much continuity in the tutorial. If you do not want to really read it thoroughly, and digest the material and yank and bank instead, then yes...it would not make much sense. Just like a real pilot...cool heads prevail.Go ahead and and lash out at me if that makes you feel better about yourself. However, you can not deny truth.

It amazes me how many ask/demand a more realistic simulation and then turn around and get angry because it is not as easy to operate as a default airplane (ctrl+e).A real pilot has to study books and then get trained in the aircraft for some time before "yanking and banking".I think the solution is simple. If a person wants a high end realistic simulation, be prepared to use it accordingly..ie:closest to real world.If not, stick to default planes.I have read the tutorial twice. It is obvious, or should be, that someone(s) have spent quite a bit of time and care to create it. I find that there is much continuity in the tutorial. If you do not want to not really read it thoroughly, and digest the material and yank and bank instead, then yes...it would not make much sense. Just like a real pilot...cool heads prevail.Go ahead and and lash out at me if that makes you feel better about yourself. However, you can not deny truth.
Nope Im not going to lash out at you, your right, but what I am going to do is take a break have a couple beers in the garage then come back and start again. This prop stuff is weird (but will be fun soon enough)

Nope Im not going to lash out at you, your right, but what I am going to do is take a break have a couple beers in the garage then come back and start again. This prop stuff is weird (but will be fun soon enough)
Right on mate!!!! Seriously, it's gonna take time and it will be a challenge but that's the point of a realistic simulation. So get a couple of drinks and come back and get started on it again. I have closed the sim for now because I don't got much time but I will get back to where I left when I have time. Patience and "thick skin" is the key when it comes to learning this stuff.Plus, that's how the real pilots do it, right? They don't learn everything in a couple days.And I forgot to say, be sure you don't get pulled over for FUI once you get back ;)

Ian,No need to get angry, I understand you are frustrated in getting the J41 started up. Have you tried loading FSX with the default aircraft and then loading the J41? This will set up the J41 with engines and everything running which will give you the opportunity to take her up for a spin relatively quickly but you'd still have to make sure a few switches are in the correct places before you takeoff :)Once you've gotten comfortable with the J41 in flight and on the ground, you can start shutting the engines down but before you do, bring the throttles into reverse to engage the stop locks and then shut down the engines via the overhead panel there are 2 buttons marked "Stop". Flip the covers and hit the buttons. Don't forget to turn on the GPU via SHIFT+2 to bring up the ramp manager, in the lower right quadrant you'll see a power cart, click on that.Now your set up for engine start. Try the tutorial once more, I'll be here to give you assistance. The J41 is a different airplane apart from the 747 and MD-11, it takes time learning but once you've mastered it, it'll be worth it. If its any consolation, it took me some time to learn her properly, poor Robert, he had to put up with my constant questioning about the J41 system :)Cheers,
I would if my Ramp Manger would come up. Very strange that it doesn't.

Once the prop is unfeathered, you have to pull the throttle into reverse, which will engage the lock. Then you can turn off the unfeather pump.

One thing I found was loading the flight right from the start screen does not work. The PDF says this but I didn't understand.It will put the plane in White Plains, but not set up as planned. You must start a flight, thenALT->Flights->Load.Kevin Manley

One thing I found was loading the flight right from the start screen does not work. The PDF says this but I didn't understand.It will put the plane in White Plains, but not set up as planned. You must start a flight, thenALT->Flights->Load.Kevin Manley
Man thanks, I did what you said and now the plane is configured perfectly stop lock on and everything, before the GPU was not attached, some of the systems were on, and the stop locks were off, now its perfect and ready to start the tutorial.