Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfgiants13

Landing

Guest sfgiants13

Over half the time I land, my aircraft goes right through the ground! I look in the spot plane view, and the top of the cabin, is barely visable because the rest is underground under the scenery. Is that a scenery problem, or is that a landing problem of mine? How I land is with the nose barely up. The only time I land successfull is with the wheels flat and then bounce up 5 feet off the runway, then land smoothly. How am I supposed to land so that won't happen?

Guest Jimbofly

Usually if an aircraft falls into the ground it is because there is a bug with the contact points of that aircraft's model (the .mdl file).If you want to land without bouncing all I can say is that it will take practise, and loads of it. The first time I played FS3 (I was 14), I not only had trouble touching down, half the time I missed the runway completely!! Now I can land anything I purchase/download quite well, and I can attest that to the many hours a week practise over several years to achieve that skill. You'll find it'll be the same with you.Ideally when you land you need to touch down approx. 5kts over the VS0 speed, which is the minimum flying speed in dirty, or flaps/gear down configuration. Try to approach the runway at 15kts over the stall speed for most light aircraft, and when you're over the runway threshold maintain that power lever and pull back gently on the stick. Keep pulling back on the stick in a way that you approach the ground but don't actually make contact with it. When you're just above the ground reduce power to idle and let it drift onto the tarmac. It should be noted that in a large jet aircraft power still needs to be applied when you touch down, because in a go-around situation you need the turbines spinning because of their slow spool up-down characteristics.I hope this reply helps with you endevours!James

Guest sfgiants13

Ok, thanks man. It seems kind of weird. When I fly my virtual airline flights, I never have a crappy landing. They're always good ones. But, when I fly my own flights, the landings look pretty good, but as I said, the aircraft goes through the runway.