Sign in to follow this  

Turbulence?

I'm just full of questions this week!I'm curious about the various addons that simulate turbulence. I know that Active Sky wxRE simulates turbulence. I know that FSUIPC ( :) ) can suppress or add turbulence to clouds. Active camera adds ground roll vibrations (not sure if that's really a turbulence or not). Upcoming (today?) extreme weather simulates all kinds of turbulence, but seemingly by altering the motion of the aircraft.I remember seeing in the FSUIPC docs that turbulence can have a drastic impact on frame rate, particularly with large amounts of AI. My question is which kind of turbulence affects frame rate? With ultimate traffic, should people with middle of the road systems be turning off turbulence altogether (its not very realistic anyhow)? Or, is that statement in the FSUIPC doc's a bit of an overstatement?Thanks for any input.sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I don't know if I've ever seen any impact on fps with FS's default turbulence. I've never had a need for third party add-ons to duplicate this.... When I want to try flying in the chop, I usually just set up some gusty wind at approx. a 45 deg. angle to my path of flight.... I get a very nice lateral and vertical effect on the aircraft, as the sudden drops in airspeed, combined with the changes of force in relation to the flight path, cause altitude, heading and roll to jump.A third party program may impact fps if it is changing weather variables at a very fast clip. FSUIPC had a great feature for FS2002...a variable wind direction which simulated turbulence rather well. For a program to be writing changes to that variable on a frequent basis may be cause for a performance slowdown...-John

Guest product

Good questions all- I personally can't stand flying without a few bumps to bring the experience to life. Just wish FS small aircraft responded more realistically to turbulence than just bouncing up and down without any real course deviation. Fells like its more for show than real impact in the flight model.Best,Joel

Lago's Air File Pro Extreme Weather is a great enhancement in the experience of weather during flight and a serious threat to keeping course :). I experienced no stuttering (hehehe) or frameratedrops. Adding AI always cuts into framerate with or without heavy weather. Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Flying.gif

RobdeVries.jpg

>Lago's Air File Pro Extreme Weather is a great enhancement in>the experience of weather during flight and a serious threat>to keeping course :). I experienced no stuttering (hehehe) or>frameratedrops. Adding AI always cuts into framerate with or>without heavy weather.>> >Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries>http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Flying.gif>>>We always try to keep use of resources as low as possible. With AFP this worked out very well as I was not able to measure the effect of it running or not. We have a internal tool to measure FrameRates and it measures anyhting up to 0.5% difference in test runs that last over an hour. AFP never registered any noticable difference. In fact in 3 of the 5 tests it looked like it made FS faster (of course that's impossible:-)Mathijs KokLAGO