Sign in to follow this  
gosta

Can FSIUPC be legally licensed?

Maybe I've misunderstood the situation but I thought that Pete Dowson's work on 'his' interfacing module was originally conceived of and implemented by a fellow named Adam Szofren, author of the FSASM BGL scenery language and compiler (forerunner and former contemporary of today's SCASM BGL scenery compiler).Adam originally built his 3rd party interfacing module for FS98 and I thought Pete Dowson expounded upon Adam's original idea and coding under a freeware agreement. Can anyone clarify this situation?

Good question. Adam originally wrote the IPC interface. I myself wonder if Pete can license that portion of the functionality of FSUIPC. I guess that's Pete's and Adam's business. But FSUIPC is also a set of tools that went way beyond Adam's interface. That suite of tools is most certainly Pete's.What I don't believe Pete can do is go back to all those using FS2002 and current or prior versions of FSUIPC, and say "pay up."--and he hasn't done that to my knowledge, for good reason. I just recently won a legal battle, where a commercial vendor tried to change the terms of a license after selling us a product several years ago. The vendor thought they had protected themselves with a clause, but they ran afoul of case law. Without any more detail, all I can say is that our court costs ended up being paid by the vendor.But payware vendors using Pete's tool fall into a gray area. I can't even guess where the legalities are. But I hope Pete is well rewarded by anyone who has made a profit from his work.-John

<<>>You have hit the nail right on the head there, John.Donationware rarely works, so that well-meant effort was doomed to failure and has left Peter wallowing a bit, I think. To me, it is very clear and you have said it: Peter's efforts should be rewarded by those who make profit from his work. If he were compensated accordingly and proportionately by those whose payware depends on his interface, then he could still leave FSUIPC out there as freeware for freeware developers and for the end user.This seems to me to be such an obvious course of action to take. As to the relationship with Adam, I am sure that Peter has that well covered.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

hi,People have been asking or have asked the PSS team if the current freeware version of fsuipc will work in fs2004 with their addons and they have said it works... This isint meant to be an "Im never gonna pay for fsuipc no matter what" post ;-) . If My payware addons don't work in fs2004 without buying the new fsuipc then Ill buy it but Id like to know if the current version of fsuipc works in fs2004 as Ive heard some people say it doesent work but Ive also heard PSS saying it does work so I really don't know :-shy.Andrew

Guest JeanLuc_

I can't be sure of course, but just a quick question to help find the answer: did the FSUIPC designed for FS2000 worked as is in FS2002? ...

Hi John,>But payware vendors using Pete's tool fall into a gray area. I can't even guess where the legalities are.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg