Sign in to follow this  
Guest rogue1

Library Performance

For the last four or five days we have received a number complaints, both in email and posted on our forums and newsgroups, about the slow down in the library and the frequent "server too busy" notifications. I would like to show you some information that clearly shows the issue.The first image is that of the number of downloads over the last 7 days. This was recorded at 0400 on Wednesday, March 8th.

As you can see, the file library suddenly leaps from an approximate average of 70,000+ downloads a day to over 192,000 on the 4th of March. Guess what happened on that day? The posting of the Canaray scenery package.Now let me show you another image of the bandwidth consumed...

Same deal. We are averaging 500+ megabytes of bandwidth a day until the 4th of March. Suddenly we jump to over 3 TERABYTES. In the three days from the 4th through the 6th, the library served up a total of over 7 TERABYTES of files to the 450,000+ members of our library system. TERABYTES... I encourage everyone to go out a get a quote for what 7 terabytes of bandwidth costs. You will be shocked. And that is for just 3 days.It is disheartening to get complaints and to realize that there is an apparent total lack of understanding from some in the simming community about the very infrequent periods when a "we're too busy" response results from a download request, or that the download speed has dropped to "just" 20 KB/Sec from the normal "xxx,000" KB/Sec.Those that complain should understand that on an average day our library's performance is outstanding, especially in light of the fact that access is given evenly to all downloaders, and for FREE. We don't charge for premium / 1st class / preferred / whatever, access. But I can tell you that after this episode I am beginning to think we have two alternatives: disallow any file that WE anticipate will be popular for fear of what it may do to performance so we don't have to listen to the abuse, or to do as others have done... Charge for preferential treatment and limit bandwidth for all those that don't pay to some miserly amount and with limited download time over a 24 hour period...I don't think people appreciate what they have in AVSIM, and I am getting very tired of the attitudes of some. I will leave it at that.

Guest rpjkw1155

Well said, Tom. I agree 100%; now and whatever AVSim decides to do in the future. Sorry for the abuse you've suffered; patience seems to be sorely lacking when it's needed most.Bob

Guest allblack

Agreed.My only comment is, don't slam the majority for the fact the minority are a pack of ***kers....The majority of people here would not give you this grief, though I fully understand your.....disappointment.I love Avsim! Cuts into "quality time" at night with my partner. Eventually she will realise that Avsim is a 24-hour website, and then I'm in huge trouble ; )CheersTimNZWN

We carry spousal / partner / friend insurance. If you get into really deep kimchee, give us a call. We have a number of lawyers from New Bedford, Mass, who for a case of cheap wine and air fare, will take care of the problem. :)EDIT: Just to respond to the serious part of your message, we do understand that the few who complain are a very small minority of the community. But, having said that, some of the email we get and the forum / newsgroup postings are way over the top and hard to accept. We are, after all, just human too.

Tom, You mean you guys are humans!! Jeesh.. Considering the incredible job you do.. for all the rest of us.. I thought you were at least SUPER HUMAN !! If not downright extra-terrestrial magicians.. :>)Thanks from the other 99.99999% of us.

Guest Michael

Hi; Thanks for the info. It's somewhat scary isn't it?Thank -you for the free access to the library- it is very very much appreciated! Cheers!P.S. I'd do a jig for 20 kps- I'm on shaw lite speed it's cable, but barely:)

Guest allblack

I know what you are saying Tom. I work for a bank, and we get many messages from customers via email and Internet Banking.And there are some real pricks out there!And they're the minority, but jeez they can really *iss you off aye!Fortunately for you, you can tell them to.....go away.....and not have to worry about losing your job!CheersTim

Tom, I fully support you guys and understand. It amazes me to see so many negative posts when a new developers website exceeds it's bandwidth and then they jump on them and complain, some just have no clue (or life!).Just post the complainers to the general forum and let us have at them, LOL (a dose of their own medicine)Thanks for all you guys do to make this hobby as great as it is.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

I for one am very grateful for everything AVSIM has done for this community and hate to see it dissed. For you sourpusses, Just imagine for a moment if you will, the simming community without AVSIM. Would you prefer to slog your way through a "Allnodesarebusy.com" or some other alternative pay per view service? I think we're all a bit spoiled at times by the services provided here. Best to keep it in perspective and realize the enormous investment in time, energy and resources, financial and otherwise, by so many that have made it what it is today. A slow or throttled download once in awhile and expecting some civility is a very low price to pay.Ok, I'm just rambling now. Keep up the great work Avsim. Jay EklundCAT VI Senior Captain KDENhttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/812321/764.png

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it

I think that patience is one of those elusive qualities that the majority of people seem to adopt late in their lives - if ever. Nowadays everything has to be "Now!", unfortunately. I wonder how many of those who scream murder at the slightest drop in speed of their precious transfers from the library over here ever take the time to actually ENJOY what they download? Or is it just the superficial excitement over a new acquisition which is forgotten the very next day?I agree with others who responded to this post - it's a minority. A vocal one, but still a minority. I'll add my thanks and appreciation for everything that is AVSIM and silently slip away to the treasures of the Library. More to download! Aahhh... ;)Thanks Tom & AVSIM!Regards,Jure

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Tom it's too bad that a small number of people in this world are so selfish (and greedy I might add) I believe that it seems to be a part of daily living in general these days that it's allways good to just sit and cry when one can't get instant anything. That haveing been said please keep in mind that the vast majority DO understand that you might just have to wait for things in life and if a download takes a little longer on some days oh well that's life. I for one NEVER take for granted for the services that you and your staff provide. A greatfull Dan Martin

Guest thedoggg

No complaints from me, that Canary island scenery was worth the wait.

Hi Tom,Just wanted to say how sattisfied I am for AVSIM's great Free! library service. Usually you get wat you pay for but with AVSIM file library this isnt the case :-)You guys are a cornerstone for the FS community. May I suggest that we refer the few whiners to get their files over at "all nodes are busy.com" ?Enough said.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

If they're not happy with the service, they're free to go elsewhere.This can be quite easily achieved by making sure they always get a DNS error trying to reach the site :)

Guest deKoven

I look on my time at Avsim much the same way I would look at an invitation to a friends house. One does NOT antagonize one's host (at least not if you want to be invited back.) Count me as one of those who are very grateful that Avsim exists. I come here almost every morning for my news and, often enough, downloads. I'd hate to have had to pay for all the stuff I've DLed. :D