Sign in to follow this  
Guest rogue1

Library Performance

I really did not post the above to solicit or grovel for gratitude, though I am sure the staff of AVSIM and certainly I do appreciate your thanks and encouragement.My intent really was to point out that we do provide a pretty good service, all in all, and for free and that albeit a minority, there are folks who take for granted our contribution to the community. When we witness the departure of freeware authors from our hobby, or to commercial endeavors because of the words of a minority, we can certainly relate. We see it every day in our email, pm's, and forums, but addressed to us.I have said this before and I think it needs saying again... AVSIM is the greatest FREEWARE product / service in our community. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and doing that for nearly 10 years... A sustained effort that I don't think anyone can match. I can't think of any other freeware in our community that matches the effort or personal investment of time (read "our lives") than AVSIM. That isn't intended to besmirch or denigrate the efforts of other freeware contributors, but hopefully to put AVSIM and the efforts of all of our volunteers, into perspective.

Guest alex333

It *is* a very, gvery good service tha Avsim is providing. And I cannot understand, why there is so much impatience and lack of thankfulness around here.Avsim, along with all those freeware authors, really gives an outstanding contribution to our hobby. Yesterday I searched the web for some simple clipart pictures. I could not believe my eyes when I found almost everything was payware, even some small dotted lines. And then I thought: What am I expecting? Must everybody offer his/her work for free on the net, so that I can have it immediately while forgetting to say thank you?Avsim does so, it offers a huge pool of fs resources for FREE! I can only hope that those who were complaining read this post along with those tables provided by Tom.But in the end, that won't probably change very much, because there will allways be people who didn't learn anthing else but to take everything for granted....I just hope that Avsim will continue to offer superb service under the current conditions. Maybe a heartfelt "thank you" from all of those who don't complain will help :)Greetings from GermanyAlex

Guest franksalot

Hi Tom,Well here in the UK I got up from my bed at 0545 to download the Canary Scenery - time well spent. I think Avsim has done a fantastic job, as always. Give my congratulations to all concerned.KenSomerset, England

Guest Bill Hinton

Tom,I still remember when Avsim was struggling and you were ready to pull the plug. Many of us encouraged you to continue with the great Website. I also remember that you banned people from the forums (don't know about the file library) when they did not behave properly in "your housd". You know that I have always, and all ways, appreciated Avsim and will continue to do so. Thanks, again, for the service that you provide to the FlightSim community.

Hi Tom and the entire staff,Hang in there guys. You know how much we all appreciate your hard work and dedication to the community. And if you don't know...well...we shall continue to remind you!Three cheers!Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hi Tom,Pretty Good???? Amazing, I'd say.I, too, want to thank you for all the work you have done and for everything you provide. I totally appreciate what you offer for forum and download service and everything else. And when the downloading is slow, I come back later. No big deal. The fact that you offer so many files 24 hours a day at such fast download speeds is stunning.Are you based in MA, too? I didn't realize that. If not, why choose lawyers from New Bedford? Is there something about them I don't know, and wish I had learned before?Thanks,Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Actually, they are not lawyers. They are a gaggle of fishermen friends of mine who "take care" of issues for me. Fishing out of New Bedford isn't what it used to be and they work cheap... :)I lived and worked in Falmouth and North Falmouth from 1980 to 1987. Once a "capey" always a "capey". :-lol

Is there a way to limit the number of downloads of popular files? Perhaps another site that has limits, and after a period of time as download rate calms down migrate them to the regular library?I realize you know a heck of a lot more about this than I do. I was just wondering what the possibilities are, 'cause I think it is important, and will only get worse, especially as more and more people join the community.I'm imagining community size is growing exponentially, especially now that MS has acknowledged the community exists and is supporting it to a degree. And I expect there will be a huge jump with FSX (though the little boy in me dreams that all issues will be solved and FSX won't need any updating :)).Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

If we limit downloads we might as well go "premium, first class, whatever". For us to setup another server won't really address the issue (but would add over $7,000 to our immediate costs). We would still have finite bandwidth - a huge amount to be sure, but finite never the less. The alternative is for us to "up" our bandwidth limit. Unfortunately, doing that is not a simple linear increase in cost... It goes non-linear and very steeply at that. Beyond what we pay now it would impose a CONSIDERABLE cost impact on the users of our system. In short, we go pay-for-access to increase bandwidth, or we stay as we are and ask users to be patient and to understand the situation. After all, an average of 550 or 600 gigabytes a day with peaks to 3+ terabytes a day is nothing to sneeze at. Folks just need to take a deep breath and appreciate what is being served up by AVSIM for free. If their expectations overcome common sense, then the alternatives are not pretty.

Guest rogue1

Maybe a disclaimer on the File Library main page:"Downloads from the library may at times be slow, this is usually due to a large and popular newly available file. Rest assured, we are aware of the problem and are doing everything we can to improve download performance"You can use that free of charge. My contribution to AVSIM. Although most people do read anything on that page, at least you tried.Thanks, Team AVSIM.Jim