Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Driving me nuts....

Okay, I've managed to download the Radeon Omega Drivers v2.4.43 based on the Catalyst 3.4 drivers for my newly acquired Radeon 9800 Pro and the installation proceeded smoothly.BUT, and it's a very big but, I've tried every which way but can't seem to overcome the 60Hz refresh problem. My display sticks stubbornly at 60Hz despite repeated fresh installations and the use of Omega's Refresh Force Utility. In desperation I tried PowerStrip but even it seems incapable of holding my chosen refresh rates: 100Hz for 1024x768 and 85Hz for 1280x960 are two examples. Of course it may well be that I don't fully understand how to use PowerStrip properly for this purpose.I never had this problem with my SONY CPD-G200P with my previous GeForce4 Ti4400 and the Omega 43.45 driver set. RivaTuner soon fixed that for me no problem. Sadly RivaTuner does not seem to work with the ATI cards.I've followed all the advice provided by the Omega author, including repeated fresh reinstallations of the drivers and ensuring my monitor is on at reboot (why would it not be, I ask myself?!), but all to no avail.Oddly enough the correct refresh rate is reported for each resolution in Monitor Display Properties but this is not reflected in reality. The flicker persists and when I bring up the monitor onscreen menu it confirms it's refreshing at 60Hz no matter the chosen current resolution.It really is frustrating and I'm hoping one of you can help. As many will appreciate it's not very comfortable looking at a screen for extended periods while it refreshes at 60Hz.Thanks,MikeWindows XP Home (SP1)

Hi Mike,did you check, if there are new drivers for your monitor - even if it's plug-and-play, it may need an XP driver to work properly. I got one for mine via Windows Update, and I can now set every refresh rate I like (well, within the monitor's limits, of course).Apart from that, try setting one refresh rate for all resolutions, e.g. 85Hz.Just a suggestion,Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Thanks Gosta but still no joy I'm afraid.The Sony CPD-G200 is plug-and-play and I had no problems with the installed monitor driver (CPD-G200P) under the GeForce4 Ti 4400 coupled with the Omega 43.45 driver set. The refresh rate problem did present itself immediately after installation of the card but was quickly resolved with the help of RivaTuner.What I cannot understand is why I appear to have no control whatsoever over the refresh rate settings. As I type this the monitor is flickering along at 60Hz and it is getting progressively more irritating.Is this all down to the Omega drivers for the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro? If so, should I just accept that maybe the author has not yet covered all the bases and just go ahead and ditch the drivers and install what was provided on the installation CD that came with the card?Seems a shame as my experience with the Omega nVidia variants was very good.Anyone else had problems along these lines and found a solution?Mike