Sign in to follow this  
scott967

FS2002 to FS2004 File transferring Question...

Guest abent

This may indeed be asking for pure supposition, but do you think it will be possible to just copy folderslike 'aircraft', 'scenery', 'sound' etc from FS2K2 to FS2K4 and have everything work? Is it likely to have the same file structure making the above possible, or are the changes in the program likely to necessitate a more complicated type of file transfer? Again, maybe this is something that no one can answer 'til one gets a copy. Just thought I'd ask.I can't wait for FS2K4 :-yellow1 , but dreading all the file manipulation that MAY accompany the changeover.Thanks, Adam

Guest Joshieca

You should be able to copy the individual aircraft folders, one by one, not the whole root aircraft folder. Most of the aircraft that are FS2002 compatible should work in FS2004.- Your scenery will most likely not work, patches maybe needed to fix it, you should contact any of your scenery designers for more info.- Your AFCAD files will most likely not work.- Your voicepack edit's will need to be reinstalled via a new version of Edit Voicepack (I think Lars is working a new version)- Your flights plans will need some minor modifications and a new version of Traffic Tools to be installed.- Your sounds maybe transferable, but that depends on what sounds, aircraft or simualtor.In short, you will basically need to start from scratch. :( But that's the price we pay for progress. :)[div align=center][link:www.jetdoc.com/STO/]Visit The Bookstore & Gift Shoppe][/b

Guest A321

I thought scsenry would work,Why wont AFCAD's work?I think ill hold off ACOF untill I see some peoples thoughts and waht problems they have. I have spent too much mony on stuff, to have to buy it all again, or pay for updates..What do you guys think..

hi,Id like to be able to copy my Aircraft folder and my AI traffic .bgl file. I hope it works because when I get fs2004 I want to be able to just jump into it and start flying without having to manually install all my addons.Andrew

Hi Andrew,I'm afraid it won't be quite as simple as that. As far as AI traffic goes, you should be able to copy over your traffic.bgl and your AI aircraft folders, but as far as editing callsigns goes, you may need a new version of EditVoicePack. Addon aircraft are a different story. If they come with custom panels, you'll have to copy over the gauges as well. Some of those will have custom sounds in the main 'sound' folder, so there's another thing to copy. If they have their own FMCs, there's probably an extra folder for nav data somewhere - another thing to copy. Many aircraft don't have built-in lights, but use special effects instead - you guessed it, they're in the 'effects' folder. Some, like the PSS Airbus have gear textures in the main FS 'texture' folder. Find them and copy them.In short, by the time you're done with all that, you might as well have installed them from scratch. Cheers,Gosta. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

BTW does anyone know whether the airport aprons are configured to a more realistic capacity now (e.g. more realistic & complete gate database?ilari

>But that's the price we pay for progress. :)Progress, call including the 'Spirit' progress? Now others are already pushing 'brown paper and string' kites into the mix too!!IMHO MS have gone backwards not forwards with this version by not addressing the needs of modern flight simulation. Again, they are leaving it to the 'add-on' guys to provide both scenery (that outside the USA again of course) and aircraft which are made, in the real World, outside the USA ;-))Just my two pence worth from a frustrated Brit who will also have to wait until well after the 29 July to get his hands on the proggy :-))Peter LeadbeaterAir Pierre, Warrington, UK.

I read an open letter from Lee Swordy lately on AFCAD, and it appears AFCAD will no longer work and he isn't sure he will try to fix it for FS9. The reason, as I understand it, is that in FS9 the Airport Facility Data will no longer be kept in separate files. Instead, the facility data (which it sounds may look the same or similar) will be moved back into the scenery bgl schemes. There will the capability to exclude facility data, just like there is today for objects and NAVAIDs. So, a scenery developer can exclude the default facility data, supply his own, and it will take effect when the scenery is added via the scenery.cfg edit process. The downside is that it isn't clear how easy it will be to edit the data, but it seems to me that you could modify the basic AFCAD program to write the exclude, edit the data same as currently, and then save (compile) a bgl with the data, which could then be added as a new scenery.scott s..