Sign in to follow this  

FSUIPC/Peter Dowson

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about regarding FSUIPC becoming shareware or payware; whatever you would like to call it.There are a lot of other folks out there who are profiting from their endeavors be it aircraft or navaids. There are also folks among that group who are selling products that quite frankly wouldn't be that good it they were freeware.FSUIPC has enabled add-ons to work that otherwise would not function without this utility.I doubt that Peter will be charging an exorbitant price for FSUIPC and perhaps he should be liscensing the product to developers.At any rate I personally have no problems with the change.If you wish to fly realistically then I would say that FSUIPC is a neccesity and I'm quite surprised that it took Peter this long to make the change.It's still a matter of choice whether or not you choose to purchase FSUIPC so if you don't want to spend money on it then don't..it's that simple.Thanks Peter for all the work you have put into your many FS utilites.Hope you make a few bucks.Craig Evans/ftd1949@cox.net

Guest Captain Barfbag

Everyone should be aware that FSUIPC is more than just a repaint that someone puts together over a weekend and uploads for everyone to use. It's a significant software development effort just to make it work, and then there's continuing upgrades and support, plus maintenance of the web site for the product. Peter has made a real commitment here, and we should all be happy that he's donated so much of his time over the years to make so many other products possible.In a totally fair and just world, Microsoft would license FSUIPC, and pay Peter a royalty for every copy of Flight Simulator sold. It has become such an integral part of the sim for many of us that it really belongs in the product. However, this isn't such a world, so the next fairest thing to do is for us to support FSUIPC financially.

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Consider the people like myself who DON'T USE FREEWARE AT ALL! I pay for everything I use. So that means I should pay for a module that was chosen by the developer? I don't THINK SO! That is the responsibility of the Payware company to license the product from Pete and of course they will jack their price up on the end product.It's a no win situation that way. But I guess you get what you pay for right!

Guest paulri

Craig,I could not say it better myself. I agree with you 100%. I wish Pete all the best and like you, hope he makes some money off of this. Paul

Guest SlimDady

The thing is that if payware makers have to pay to liscene fsuipc, each time we buy an aircraft we will pretty much be buying the module again and again..I dont like that idea. I guess the only real way is to purchas your own compy of the module and the payware authors have to state that this module is required.Its too bad, its realy going to mess thing up for a while until a working solution is found.Hopefully the prices of payware wont go higher then the 30$ average. THey are already fairly high concidering you can buy the whole sim for a little more then that.

Guest frankcubillos

As much time as Peter puts into his development and the continuous improvements he more than deserves a few bucks for all the time and effort...I for one support and applaud Peter for his decision. Have plastic, will charge! LOL :-)---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize FSGateway/ProjectAI sig banner here

Guest kyle

Same here. It is a tremendous add-on Peter has created for all of us to enjoy and it is his choice. My support is for Peter as well, I will be in the line-up to purchase it when it becomes available.Good job, Peter!

if the major payware companies of the likes such as Pheonix etc need it to run their 777 or Airbuses, why does not Peter negotiate with these payware developers and split the revenue of what ever they make on a percentage basis to Peter.I.E if PSS makes $100,000 in worth of revenue for selling the airbus and Peter charges a 1% fee for using FSUIPC then Peter pockets $1000, similiar situation to all the other payware developers,therefore we end consumers do not need to foot the bill from our end,just a thought.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

I dont have a problem with Peter Charging any more than I would expect to get any quality addon for free.The problem Peter has is that people have never had to pay for FSUIPC and now expect it to be free as by right.Whats that saying ;-) "The more you give, the more is demanded of you and the less its appreciated".There maybe a grain of truth in that which is a sad reflection of our makeup.Because it is a utility which is now required by so many addons that causes a problem of who and how you charge and begs the question of whether it shouldnt be a Microsoft FS generic utility and part of the programme purchased from Peter and updated by Peter?Peter