Sign in to follow this  

Help with gpsout and WideFS

Guest fsjunkey

I have a desktop (server) and laptop (client)running WinXP. I finally got widefs on the laptop to say "connected" when I load FS2002 on the server. I tried using Delorme Street Atlas 2003 and Microsoft Streets2003, but can't get either to connect to gps. Do both computers have to have the same com ports? My desktop is (the server)com2 and the laptop (the client)is com1. Any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks for any help.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to use the WideFS client with the GPS software to talk to the WideFS server then I don't think it will work.GPSOut readme file indicates "GPSout.ini and .dll should both go into the FS98, FS2000 or FS2002 modules folder." It then talks directly to a com port on the same computer.WideFS client will work on stand along programs that use FSUIPC as the interface to the computer.

Guest UweR

Yep, you have to connect the two machines with a null-modem network cable through the COM ports and configure the moving map software accordingly. As I understood it, GPSout will not work on the USB ports or via LAN (thus no need for WideFS). How did you set up your LAN?Regards, Uwe

Guest fsjunkey

Hi. I'm trying to run my map program from the client computer. I have installed gpsout and WideFS server in the modules folder of the server computer. When I run Wideclient on the client computer, it waites for me to execute FS2000 on the server computer. Once it loads up, the client computer says "connected", then when I load up either map program, it's supposed to connect to the gpsoutfrom the server computer...but it's not connecting. I suspect it has something to do with the com ports, but I have no idea what to do next. I have the server computer to com2and the client to com1. Thanks for any help.

Guest fsjunkey

Yep, I am using a null-modem serial cable and have the network set to use TCP/IP, like the instructions said when using WinXP on both computers. Like I said in my previous post, I suspect com port problem, but I don"t know how to test them? Thanks.

Guest fsjunkey

oops, forgot to mention that I am using the latest version of FSUIPC and WideFS.

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

My setup of the GPSout - Delorme - Street Atlas USA The SERVER ini:[GPSout]Sentences=RMC,pGRMZInterval=2000Port=COM2 (see note below)Speed=4800GPSout is NOT need on the CLIENT!In the Delorme Street Atlas USA program select:GPS.Initalize..Magellan (wo/Wpt)..COM1 (see note below)..4800,8,N,1.. check the Auto Detect GPS Connection Box.NOTE: You can have any combination of COM ports. Just besure and specify which ones you want to you use in the GPSout ini on the SERVER and in the moving map program on the CLIENT. YOU must connect the the two ports with a NULL cable. If you have a standard cable, you can ADD a NULL adapter.The MEGALLAN (wo/Wpt) is probably a standard available on all moving map programs. That format will give you Lat/Lon, speed (mph), heading direction, and altitude.sidebar .. I bought my moving map from eBay. Not the current version, but the "outdated" $10 version that works great for FS needs. So what if the Mickey D has moved since mine was published. :-)Regards,BobSWe r rsam@mtco.com and if you need any additional help, feel free to email me. We also have FSUIP and widefs running along with the FREE FSGarmin 530. Fantastic combination. Also have SB running on the client when on VATSIN.

I Use GPSout and connect to a second PC running Garmin Mapsource.The connection is made through a null modem cable between the com ports.It toke me a while to tweak the GPSout ini file to get the result I wanted. The Mapsource map is changed in a moving map also showing the Speed (Ground Speed) - True Heading - Altitude (Above MSL).Make sure that the program you will be using as the moving map is set to recognize "NMEA" sentence input format.My GPSout ini settings are as follows:[GPSout]Sentences=RMC,PGRMZ,GGAInterval=1500Port=COM1Speed=4800This works fine for me