Sign in to follow this  
MarkRey

PSS Bus Users

Hi all, I had a question for the PSS Bus users out there. I was curious how long it took for your to basically know what to do from a cold/dark cockpit until engine shut-down at the destination airport, that includes to MCDU functions, autopilot, the over-head panel functions.I just bought this bird today, and honestly I havn't the slightest clue on what to do. I have been reading the most important parts of the manuel piece, by piece, and I'll try to get that done. So how long did it take? And did it just involve practice, and lot's of time on the bird? Any tips, tricks to help me understand this quicker would most certainly be appreciated.Thank you as always for any feedback,Cory Klimko

Guest Timbo

Reading the manual is a great start. It's also good to use their tutorial flights for the first few times up. It walks you from a cold and dark startup to shutdown at the gate.[table][tr][td rowspan=2]http://timbo87.home.attbi.com/sig/valiant.gif[/td][td]

Tim Pinkawa

[/td][tr][td]

Alpha Sims Texture Artist/Panel Designer

Tims FS Studio]

[/td][/tr][/table

Guest Lobaeux4

The PSS 'bus is like all others in the fact that once you get a flow going you COULD go from total dark cockpit to full up ready for takeoff in just a few minutes. How do you get there? Practise. Once you read the manual, follow the tutorial flights and then practise a few times, you should ahve a good flow going.

Thanks all for the replies. During that time flew a flight. Was pretty confused, but was pretty suprised never the less.Thanks again,Cory

Hi Cory,this bird definitely has a few new things for you to learn, even if you're familiar with all the other quality add-ons, such as PIC, DF and the PSS Boeings. The point being it's an Airbus, not a Boeing :). But fortunately, with the excellent manuals PSS provided you should get to grips with it in no time. My suggestion is to invest in some ink, print out all the manuals and tutorials and don't be afraid to hit the 'P' button if something unexpected happens. Look at your panel state, compare it to the manual, and you'll know the ins and outs of the plane sooner than you'd think.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest SIX

Hey Cory,I bought A320 from PSS a year ago and tried it and misreably retreated in defeat for almost 8 months. I hated it. Then I sat down at the computer for a good weekend and decided I WILL FLY THIS BIRD! :) I can jump into a Boeing cockpit and fly fly fly. But the Airbus is not a Boeing and can't be expected to act like a Boeing, either.It took me a good three day weekend to learn how to operate it from a cold and dark whereas I didn't need the manual any more. Three months later I can literally open up FS and do a cabin prep that bird quicker than any other bird I fly. Basically, it boils down to this from a cold and dark. Turn the batteries on (1&2). Turn the external power on. Start the APU and get your bleed going, turn your packs off and turn your beacon on. Then turn the fuel on. Then open your pedistal and start your engines from the control valves on the pedistal. Your running!Then you have to program your FMGC. But that is easy as pie too. There are things in the tutorial that they don't explain and quite frankly are useless unless you HAVE to be perfectly realistic. Here are a couple items in the FMGC that you don't have to fiddle with:1. Flaps settings - in the manual it says to put it at "3/dn.7" however that is just a reminder for you to set your flaps at 3. You don't have to put anything there.2. In APPR mode it calls for you to put the QNH (Altimeter) for the descent so the cabin can depressurize properly. Nice, but not necessary, same with everything else on that page: wind speed/direction and temprature.Basically, this is all you have to do to get the FMGC going in less than 30 seconds with full functionality:1. INIT: To/From "KORD/KATL" and select "Align IRS"| Next page to ZFW (Zero Fuel Weight) check your Load Editor in the PSS folder. | Fuel weight: Found on the EICAS display.2. PER: Right click on yoru V1, VR and V2 and they will auto calculatre for you. Don't worry about anything else here.3. PROG: Make sure your CRZ is correct; if you don't you won't get the correct cruising speed from the autopilot when you are at the desired flight level.4. F-PLAN: Select the dept airport. Select Dept and then the runway and SID (Standard Departure) if desired. Now enter your route! This is the greatest thing to me about the PSS FMGC. You can simply left click on the button beside the waypoint you enter and then enter the "Via/GO TO" with the high altitude routing/ and waypoint information. For example, from BNA I want to go to ARG via the J46 alt route. So, I put in J46/ARG and the computer will fill in all the waypoints from BNA to ARG along the J46 route. AWESOME! Those waypoints aren't necessary for KORD to KATL, the route is actually ORD1.DNV BNA GQO RMG.RMG2. For the arrival, do the same as the dept. Select the runway, then the STAR and then the transition - if applicipable. 5. RADNAV: I don't even know if this is necessary, and I am leaning on NOT NECESSARY. But, on departure the tutorial calls for inserting your first VOR. So I put in DNV and the course is 174 degrees. If there is a NDB off of the first runway, like most have I put the freq for that in the ADF line. That is IT.Your ready to fly now! If your doing anything mroe than that your are taking too long and your eyes are about to burn because of you are not doing anything but looking at the PDF manuals, tutorials and trying to figure it all out. Read through this a couple times. It is easy as pie. I hope you know how to configure your A3xx so that you can turn the scoll lock on and off and thereby use the keyboard instead of pecking away at the keyboard on the FMGC?? Here are a couple tips I have learned the hard way on how to fly the bird.1. When I reach the dept runway and want to take off, I hit "+" two times and get the "MAN FLX 42" on the left CRT. At that point, I have to reset my speed or I will stall shortly after take off. No biggy, just what I have to do. At that point your in manual speed mode, that is ok, because when you select the autopilot it will go back into automode, but your not stalled :)2. On intercepting the ILS/GS on approach: 140 kts is tops - period. Any faster and it will sometimes not catch the ILS/GS. Make damn sure your RADNAV in the FMGC ILS/FREQ is right for the runway your trying to land on. If it isn't reselect the runway in the flt plan quickly. 3. BIG ONE: When you get on the ground and if you want to take another trip without restarting the sim you MUST not only open the FMGC and select "DATA" then FMGC RESET, but you must also simply turn the Flight Director off and then back on. If you don't, the bird WILL nose dive on take off. It just takes practice. I hope this helps somebody out there. I tried to boil it down to what is NECESSARY. The tutorial PSS provides is great, but it leads you to believe there is more to it than there really is. As I said before I can have my bird from cold and dark to a fully running and pushing back bird in less than one minutes and that is WITH the FMGC fully programmed. CLICK, CLICK, CLICK - FLY!-----------Wilson HinesChief CaptainBush Logistics Corp.http://heavylhc.comAOL IM: dal276wh

I find the learning curve for myself on these complicated panels and aircraft is about a week. Granted it would be less if I could spend 24/7 infront of FS. But the PSS A3xx, the PSS 747-777, PSS Dash 8 and the Captain Sim 727 all took me about a week to master and get the most out of them. Now I can sit down fire them up no problem and get underway without having to consult the manuals. I have also printed the manuals so that it makes it easier to reference back while I am in the cockpit just incase I forgot something.

WOW, thanks you all. That really help, and Wilson, those tips on the bus seem great, going to try right now after this post. Anyway, yea I have the manual printed about, and certain pages marked to access better, but I still have to pause the thing sometimes.I just have one more question. Last night I did a quick flight, and I was going hay-wire, because the speed, V/S, and altitudes we're all wierd, like it wouldn't try to maintain speed, the littl white dots only were displayed, and was in the open climb mode, then switch to expidite climb, and it maintained a good speed, whats if mode that has the computer take over and fly the climb, and the speed settings with autothrust?Thats about it, those are my only problems is with the AP, and getting that to work in-flight.And THANK YOU very much for all your replies. Its going to certainly help.Cory

Guest Matthew Murray

Hello, The Airbus FCU (Flight Control Unit; the User Interface with the Autopilot) has two modes; Selected or Managed. In Selected Mode, the pilot has dialed in say a Speed, Heading, or Altitude. The plane will fly this accordingly. The speed/altitude/heading will always be visible in Selected mode. In Managed Mode, the FCU Display Units show dashes instead of a number. You have to push each of the knowbs to get into managed mode. In Managed Mode, the Autopilot is being fed lateral/vertical and speed informationg from the FMGC (Flight Management Guidance Computer) and will follow the flight-plan and vertical profile that you have entered into the MCDU. Hope this helps. Also another great thing about the Airbus is that you can dial in your altitude, say you are at FL370 and your next assigned altitude is FL270, however ATC doesn't want you to descend when the computer wants you to, but still having the altitude dsiplayed as FL270 and flying at FL370 until ATC clears you to the altitude. Saves alot of time and is fun hehehe

-----------------------[bR]Matthew Murray[bR]Jet-Precision[bR]

http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Well some good news. I flew my NWA A319 from MSP to MKE, I made a flight plan via FSNAV and transferred it over (I'll need to get alot better before I start using the MCDU by myself :/) And did what Wilson said in the post, that worked perfectly, and very quick. I started with a cold/dark ship, took about 5 minutes (eeek) to get that up and going, and then off I went, hit NAV and that flew, I used I had selected modes for the climb, I had my cruise alt in, V/S, and speed, that worked fine, I was reading the flight lesson along the way, and on the FMA that modes reflected what the author said on the lesson, so I was happy, descent was great, no problems. And then I tried to figure out the ILS, when I went to the center throttle quadrent, to enter the ILS freq, it only allowed me to enter the .34 part of the freq, I couldn't change the 123. part. So I did a visual :) Another thing was I was in NAV mode, and on my final fix which was the turn to the runway, the jet just continued on the same heading, and didn't turn, I also experienced this on departure I think leaving the first waypoint? Does this alwasy happen? On departure I pushed the HDG button, it corrected on got on plan, and on final, I just shut down the FCU, and manually took her in.Can someone explain that? And I'm sorry I have so many question, just want to get this plane going :)Thank you all again for the replies. It really, I mean really helps a ton. :) :)Cheers,Cory

Hey Cory,Far as I know you have to use the mcdu rad/nav page to insert nav1/nav2 freqs - also in the mcdu did you select a runway for your arrival airport? If you do this the ils freq and course will be automatically tuned/set when the 'bus enters 'approach' phase. Regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Guest Marc Sykes

Yes, you have to set your NAV frequencies via the RAD NAV page. If you have the right runway selected as the destination in the MCDU, the ILS frequency will automatically tune in NAV 1 once you get within range (20 nm). I recommend doing it this way rather than trying to enter the frequency manually; some folks report problems with localizer intercept when they do manual entry. From that point on, you need to hit the ILS button next to the FD on the glareshield if you want the purple diamonds for lateral/vertical guidance. If you hit the LOC button on the right side of the glareshield, it will intercept the localizer automatically. If you then hit APPR, it will follow the glideslope. (You still have to extend flaps and lower gear; I recommend you have full flaps by the time you intercept the glideslope, and lower gear when the radar altimeter reads roughly 2000 feet.) If you're going to have the autopilot take her all the way in, you should hit the AP 2 button for a full Cat III autoland. If you're planning to take over at some point before flare and landing, leave the single autopilot engaged and just disengage it when you want to take control.Hope this helps.Regards,Marc

Guest SIX

Yes yes, you hit the nail on the head. You need to change the ILS freq by going into the flt plan on the FMGC and selecting the rwy. That is it! -----------Wilson HinesChief CaptainBush Logistics Corp.http://heavylhc.comAOL IM: dal276wh

Guest Martin

Hey Wilson,I think you got the procedures down really well, in a nutshell, but there are some things I'd like to comment on (without being too nit-picky I hope, and probably missing a few things ;-)).>Turn the batteries on (1&2). Turn the external power on. >Start the APU and get your bleed going, turn your packs off>and turn your beacon on. Then turn the fuel on. Then open>your pedistal and start your engines from the control valves>on the pedistal. Your running!Speaking from PSS experience, and not from manual digging, you don't need to turn off the packs (I think they'll turn off automatically). Also you would usually enter all you need into the FMGS before pushback and startup (don't want to waste precious fuel while typing along on the MCDU keyboard!). So when you're ready for pushback, turn on the beacon lights and the fuel pumps, and then start the engines during the pushback (unless Ground has other plans).>2. In APPR mode it calls for you to put the QNH (Altimeter)>for the descent so the cabin can depressurize properly.Once again, too tired to look this up, but doesn't it have a more important function than this? (I mean important from an FS perspective of course. :-))>1. INIT: To/From "KORD/KATL" and select "Align IRS"| Next>page to ZFW (Zero Fuel Weight) check your Load Editor in the>PSS folder.The ZFW, if LoadEdit has done its job properly, should also be on the Notes part of the kneeboard.>5. RADNAV: I don't even know if this is necessary, and I am>leaning on NOT NECESSARY. But, on departure the tutorial>calls for inserting your first VOR.In reality this is good practise in many SIDs to crosscheck the map indications with raw data, and also it's handy to have the proper navaids tuned should the use of raw data be needed. But in FS, in my opinion, it's bordering on "too realistic".>1. When I reach the dept runway and want to take off, I hit>"+" two times and get the "MAN FLX 42" on the left CRT. At>that point, I have to reset my speed or I will stall shortly>after take off.Then you are doing something wrong. Are you hand flying when you are stalling?>2. On intercepting the ILS/GS on approach: 140 kts is tops ->period.Not sure exactly what you mean here. You should be able to intercept the localizer at more than 200 kts (maybe up to around 230 kts, depending on the intercept angle). When intercepting the glide slope you should have a lower speed, but around 160 kts should be fine.Also, before intercepting the ILS you should press the ILS switch next to the FD switch to display ILS indications on the PFD.>Make damn sure your RADNAV in the FMGC ILS/FREQ is>right for the runway your trying to land on. If it isn't>reselect the runway in the flt plan quickly.Check this earlier via the NAV/RAD page and you won't have to be so quick about it. :-) (This is probably mostly an FS problem, with conflicting sceneries and nav data that doesn't exist in the real world.)>3. BIG ONE: When you get on the ground and if you want to>take another trip without restarting the sim you MUST not only>open the FMGC and select "DATA" then FMGC RESET, but you must>also simply turn the Flight Director off and then back on. If>you don't, the bird WILL nose dive on take off.You don't have to reset the FMGS, but cycling the FD is a good idea. :-)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing