Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

All dressed up and nowhere to go...

Well in anticipation of FS2004, I picked up my new machine last night.Here's hoping that it will see me through at least until the next version of MSFS post 2004. :-)Here it is...Intel Pentium IV 3.0GHz (800FSB) Socket 478 pins CPU w/Hyper-Thread Technology MSI 875P NEO FIS2R, AGP 8X, i875P ICH5R Chipset with Gigiabit LanKingmax 512MB PC3200 Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM CAS-2.5- 400MHz Rated x 2 (1 stick per channel)BUILT By ATI (Original) Radeon 9800PRO w/TV Out & DVI 128Meg DDRTEAC DV-W50E, 4x DVD-R/ 2x RW, 16xCD-R, 8xCD-RW, 16xDVD, 32x CD-ROM Internal Drive Only Western Digital Raptor 36.0GB HDD IDE, 8MB Cache, 5.2ms, 10,000rpm , S-ATA, w/DataLifeguard WD 40Gig 7,200rpm HD for dataATX 470W Pentium IV Power Supply CESkyhawk Jupiter Aluminum CaseHyundai -ImageQuest P910 , 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby

ChrisYou have splashed out :-)Oh well what we do for this hobby:-)I updated to a Dell with an Intel Pentium 3.1 and a 9700 Pro.I went for a Ultrasharp flat screen monitor which im delighted with.You can bet that by six-nine months after release we will be mid power machines.Peter

Guest metamarty

I joined the club too. Now have a 3.0 ghz/800 FSB P4 with hyperthreading, 120 Gb Serial ATA harddisk and 1 GB PC3200 RAM and a Gforce 4 Ti4400. I only need to upgrade my 15.4" TFT, since it's getting a bit too small. I'm still wrestling with framerates though. I loaded the AFCAD schiphol files and was shocked that I can't get any higher than 15 fps on this machine.

> but judging from past releases of FS, the system to run it properly with all the add-ons you like hasn't been designed yet :).

Hi Peter, all,Yes, I pretty much did this before FS2002 and FLY1 and Sierra Pro pilot and FS5 I think. It all part of the hobby I guess :-)How are you doing Peter, well I hope. I will possibly be in Farnborough aroung July next year for about 6 weeks. Maybe we can catch up :-). I have a relative living about 5 miles from the front gate whose neighbour is a retired BA 747 skipper. He is going to get me into the trade days if I can make it over there.Cheers mate,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaMy temporary sig :-) :-) :-)Intel Pentium IV 3.0GHz (800FSB) Socket 478 pins CPU w/Hyper-Thread Technology MSI 875P NEO FIS2R, AGP 8X, i875P ICH5R Chipset with Gigiabit LanKingmax 512MB PC3200 Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM CAS-2.5- 400MHz Rated x 2BUILT By ATI (Original) Radeon 9800PRO w/TV Out & DVI 128Meg DDRTEAC DV-W50E, 4x DVD-R/ 2x RW, 16xCD-R, 8xCD-RW, 16xDVD, 32x CD-ROM Internal Drive Only Western Digital Raptor 36.0GB HDD IDE, 8MB Cache, 5.2ms, 10,000rpm , S-ATA, w/DataLifeguard WD 40Gig HD for dataATX 470W Pentium IV Power Supply CESkyhawk Jupiter Aluminum CaseHyundai -ImageQuest P910 , 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby

Guest cw1011

I decided to wait. I'm driving a 2.6 gig P4 on an dell 8100 case and motherboard (using a powerleap adapter to allow the 423 pin socket to take the northwood chips) with about 700 or so megs of fast RAMBUS and a Ti 4200. I just can't see the extra 400 mghz + hyperthreading being that significant - especially since there is no performance gain with the DDR over my expensive RAMBUS (its a good value in terms of speed/price - that's why the computer makers like it). With a lot of AI installed running at 40% and FS Genesis Mesh - I'm still in the mid teens at busy airports, and down in nearly single digits in the clouds. And this is FS2002 - before we even to go the volumetric clouds and active weather in the new version.I'll sit tight until the next generation of Intel chips and probably buy a box with a very good water or compressor cooler for overclocking. Tom's Hardware has taken a 3.06 gigs up to 4.1 gigs with a compressor cooler - and its stable. I'm done with Dells though. You can't overclock them through the bios and I plan on stretching my next machine for as long as it will go. Colin