Sign in to follow this  
Guest nitram

Force feedback... is it worth getting?

I'm considering purchasing a new stick and throttle. Before I do, I'm wondering if those who have a force feedback stick really think it adds that much more to the sim's imersion factor, or it doesn't add much reality at all? Rich@KLEW

Depends on who you ask, I have a sidewinder FF2 joystick and I love it! I cannot imagine NOT having FF. That is the main reason I haven't gotten a yoke as I understand there are not any, if affordable ones, that have FF (that and the fact I fly helis 80% of the time ;-) ). Not every aircraft takes advantage of the FF, some you can actually "feel" when you are turning and banking, pretty cool. I have read that there are those that don't use or prefer it, so I guess it is personal preference. I have had FF since I started simming and the only time I have not used it was when I did an upgrade and lost it for a brief period, what a horrible time that was! LOL I say go for it, you can always turn it off ;-) Hope that helps!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest nitram

It depends on what you fly. I have a logitech joystick (that isn't used much now) that I used for Helicopters and Airbuses.I have a CH yoke that I use for smaller aeroplanes and jet airliners. Apart from Taxing the force feedback gave very little 'imersion' in the sim. A CH yoke has a 'resistance' to movement that I find gives the impression of flying forces. The only force feedback that I know of in real flying is a 'stick shaker' that is deliberately driven to warn of stalls.If you fly small planes, once you are airborne you should be using the trim controls and will have very little hands on anyway. With bigger jets it will be the same but with the autopilot taking over.The Airbus stick has no 'force feedback' in real flying. Most flying is visual or instrument controlled. Force feedback although a nice idea is soon forgotten once you use a yoke and pedal setup.(Just my opinion though!)The best feedback would be my own flight sim platform/capsule, but that's a whole new ballgame!Regards Nitram