Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

martinlest2

How do I restart the engines in flight?

Well, I must be doing it partly right, as I managed to get 3 out of 4 going again - this after all four of my engines shut down en route to Madrid from Rio de Janeiro - my fault as I had underestimated the fuel I needed..On the overhead panel I already have engine ignition switched to Flt Start. I ran the scavenge pump and also opened the valves for the reserve tanks: engines 1, 2 & 4 immediately restarted. However, engine 2 remained dead. The warning lights on the main cockpit panel show ENG OIL PRESS 2 and HYD SYS PRESS 2 for engine 2. And on the over head panel, there is the green light 'Valve Open', just above Engine Ignition section. Presumably this valve needs to be closed to restart the engine?? But I am at a loss - what does this refer to? Which valve? I've scanned through the valves in the Fuel panel, shut off packs in the Hydraulics panel .. nothing works.Can anyone kindly advise? I've had this a/c for quite some time (CD-ROM version) - and just love it - so feel I ought to have mastered this ages ago! The pdf files haven't helped, though maybe I missed the bit I should be reading...Thanks,Martin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It may be, that you have somehow triggered the "failures generator" in RFP ( it does have one) and if so, the engine could not be restarted after a failure. I would suggest trying another flight and reporting back what happens. Other than that, dunno.Good luck with it.

Hi,when you attempted the engine restart what was the fuel situation?I'm reading you made manouvers without sense like to switch on the scavenge pump and open the reserve valves.If the fuel was finished in all tanks all manouvers are useless.If some amount of fuel was left into some tank the better manouver is to feed quikcly all engines from the tank where's available fuel and switch on all Flight Start switches in the Overhead panel than in the Console panel recycle quicly all Engine Start Levers to Cutoff and than to Idle again.I don't think that the RFP 742 software has a random failure like "All engines flame out" and it's very unlikely that you had a random failure "one engine flame out " at same time when you finished the fuel due to at one your bad error.Gianfranco

I don't remember what the fuel situation was - but there must have been some fuel in some tank - switching on the scavenge pump immediately restarted three of the engines. There was a little fuel in the reserves too (2.5%).The question though, whatever the reason for the shutdown, is how to restart 4 out of 4 engines: maybe it was just a glitch in the simulator rather than something I did/didn't do which kept engine 2 from restarting. Yes, it was my fault the engines shut off in the first place (doesn't usually happen), but I just wanted to know why engine 2 might have refused to restart when the others were OK. I needed to get the green 'valve open' light off I think (only No.2 was showing open), but nothing I did achieved this. Martin

The Green Valve Open light is just indicating to you that the Starter valve has opended, check the air bleed section of the FE's panel to make sure the engine is being supplied with air pressure and that fuel can flow to the engine on the fuel panel.

The Green Valve Open light is just indicating to you that the Starter valve has opended, check the air bleed section of the FE's panel to make sure the engine is being supplied with air pressure and that fuel can flow to the engine on the fuel panel.
The engine failure occurred during cruise at cruise Mach so the restart should be made using the engine windmilling and the ignition set on "FLIGHT START".Gianfranco