Sign in to follow this  
Puffmac

JS41 Startup Guide

My advice. DISABLE the engine fires! I've started them engines 100's of times and still get, on occasion, what your describing and never change procedures. If it dont start, n1 rising quickly (Jumps from 10 to 20% fast or 10....11......12),it AINT gona start .  I shut it down and restart and it works fine without changing a thing. Dont care about temps as it will cool down when she fires. Much will have to do with what previous aircraft was loaded also. Seems to effect it.

Interesting, Im going to try this out!

BTW this fine tutorial does not indicate when to use (or not to use) the two ominous looking red "LOCK RELEASE" buttons on the centre console to the right of the Unfeather switch.

This humble simmer is still burning engines...

That's simple. You shouldn't touch them in normal operations, they're there for inflight or emergency shutdown only. Hence them being ominous

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

This will definitly help me, I recently got the B4100 and I had troubles with lift off. I followed some YT tutorials but once I was giving full power I got alarm signals and there was not enough speed to gain lift. Other then that the plane also wanted to shift to the right, but that might be a problem of some rudder problems I have been experiencing.

I cannot find an edit button, so a new post it is.  I finally got it to work! I'm super happy of course, so I will share my startup procedure in plain text. (addressing only the important parts)

(for fuel yaw damper, grd pwr follow other tutorial in this topic)

Reverser back
Unfeather both (hold left, when back in ctr pos hold right) wait 10 sec
Reverser foward
Start both engines
Propctrl (most right lever) in max (flight) position
Reversers back
Feather both (hold left, when back in ctr pos hold right) wait 10 sec
Reverser forward

And there you go :)

p.s. I already heard on a different forum that it can be done easier, but this is the only way it works for me.

p.p.s. if you get a red flashing light and a config warning on the panel you need to activate your fmc and enter pos etc.

I have tried the tutorial flight step by step in the document and have even tried the procedures prior to start to properly set the start locks at the beginning of this post and nothing works for me. I cannot get the props out of the feather position so when I try starting up, the engine RPM never gets fast enough to fire on its own. The technique at the start of this post seems simple and makes sense and looks very well put together but I can't get any results by doing it. Throttles back in the reverse position, clicking the unfeathering pump switch both left and right, then back into the normal range...nothing happens to the props and I even had a separate view window watching them for any change and nothing happens. I have tried all sorts of variations on this, including putting the throttles back immediately after activating the pump switch, the recommended 10 seconds before re positioning the throttles, and even waiting longer before re positioning. None of these techniques unfeather the props. I'm at a loss at this point as I thought this was my golden ticket to taking this otherwise great looking plane into the skies, but I have not even gotten the engines running. If anyone knows of anything in the systems that would prevent this technique from working I'm all ears. I have ground power applied so there is electric power coursing through the airplane. Maybe there is another switch that is preventing this process but I have no clue what it would be.

I've written my own "Unable to start engines" troubleshooting guide, at http://viaintercity.com/forums/bae-jetstream-41-%28bae-js4100%29/faq-%28frequently-asked-questions%29-and-tips-for-bae-js4100/ which may help you.

I think your unfeather problems could be caused by how you load and shut down the J41; you should start you flight in the default microlight or Cessna with its electrics on and engine running, before you load the Jetstream 41. If you don't do this, strange behaviour can result (this is true for many sophisticated addon aircraft).

Once you've loaded the J41, then you can shut its engines down and you won't need to worry about unfeathering the props either, provided you move the thrust levers back to full reverse immediately after pressing the STOP buttons on the overhead.

One other thing, do not use the condition levers to shut the engines down, otherwise the props will definitely feather! The condition levers should never go below the taxi detent during normal operations because the engines are shut down using the "STOP" buttons on the overhead. Always make sure the conditions levers are in the taxi detent before operating the unfeather pump.

I hope one of my above suggestions will resolve your engine start issues and allow you to enjoy this wonderful aircraft.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks for the tips...I initially loaded via the Cessna, but it was still acting up. This time I loaded via the Cessna, then loaded the tutorial flight then re positioned and the props were already on the locks in the unfeathered position. FINALLY got to take it for a spin. I love most everything about this bird. My only qualm is there is no 2D panel. For my setup, VC only planes make it harder to fly as every time I need to spin my view to see gauges, plus zoom in, its hard to get my view back to outside and fly. The realism and look is fantastic, but from a smooth operation and functionality perspective, I do much better with the 2D panels. Maybe as an add on for a later version, they could add more pop up 2D panels like engine gauges. These are especially hard to view and zoom in on without losing full view of the outside world. Otherwise she flies just great!

Hello fellow simmers,

I went through the tutorial of J41 again to fresh up and also to check the Key-Combinations for the Views mostly. At first I'm sure that I saw somewhere in the tutorial, a Key-Combination or just Key hit, from the captain's perspective, looking higher, and I don't remember where was that! Can anybody tell me which Key is that please? I go over and over again through the tutorial and I can't see it, although I'm quite sure I have seen it the first time! It just makes me crazy!

Thank you in advance.

Hello fellow simmers,

I went through the tutorial of J41 again to fresh up and also to check the Key-Combinations for the Views mostly. At first I'm sure that I saw somewhere in the tutorial, a Key-Combination or just Key hit, from the captain's perspective, looking higher, and I don't remember where was that! Can anybody tell me which Key is that please? I go over and over again through the tutorial and I can't see it, although I'm quite sure I have seen it the first time! It just makes me crazy!

Thank you in advance.

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, but moving your view works with [space] + pointing with your mouse. To reset the view just hit [ctrl] + [space]

Regards,
Axel

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, but moving your view works with [space] + pointing with your mouse. To reset the view just hit [ctrl] + [space]

There is a two key combination I think that changes the view infront of the cockpit to look higher or lower

If I'm not mistaken it's Shift+Enter for higher and Shift+Backspace for lower. Or Ctrl+Enter/Backspace, one of those two.

There is a two key combination I think that changes the view infront of the cockpit to look higher or lower

[ctrl]+[return] = move seat backwards

[ctrl]+[backspace] = move seat vorward

[shift]+[return] = move seat up

[shift]+[backspace]= move seat down

[ctrl]+[shift]+[return] = move seat right

[ctrl]+[shift]+[backspace]= move seat left

[shift]+"arrow-keys" = turn head left/right/up/down

[shift]+[space] = reset view to default

I think that's it.

Regards,
Axel