Sign in to follow this  
Puffmac

JS41 Startup Guide

Hello,As promised, a guide on starting the JS41. This method has been done according to the AOM and Tutorial Flight PDF. It is tried and tested in a variety of situations. This tutorial is intended to be used by those having trouble starting their JS41. It makes use of the unfeather switch and assume that the properllers are in the feathered position, and thus causing the problem in the first place. This situation occurs in the Tutorial Flight.NOTE: IN STEP 2 PUSH THE SWITCH TO THE LEFT AND THEN TO THE RIGHT IN ORDER TO UNFEATHER BOTH PROPS SIMULTANEOUSLY. UNBENKNOENST TO ME AT THE TIME OF WRITING I WAS UNAWARE THAT BY PUTTING THE POWER LEVERS BACK TO THE IDLE POSITION AFTER UNFEATHERING ACTIVATES THE STOP LATCHES WHICH HOLD THE PROPS IN THE UNFEATHERED POSITION. THIS MEANS WHEN YOU START ENGINE NUMBER 2 YOU ONLY HAVE TO TURN THE MASTER START SWITCH TO R GND AND PRESS THE RIGHT ENGINE START SWITCH.JS41START2_01.pngJS41START2_02.pngJS41START2_03.pngJS41START2_04.pngJS41START2_05.pngJS41START2_06.pngJS41START2_07.pngJS41START2_08.png-Andrew McCluskey

• Upvote 1

Guest ACA861

Nice guide! Much more thorough than my video guide. I did not include the procedure for setting the start locks as I assumed people would be starting from the default aircraft state.With this guide being a better resource for new J41 pilots, I think it is time to unsticky or delete my video guide post, but it's up to you PMDG.

Just a curious note - has the unfeather switch got to be held to one side? I'm asking because if I move it then move away it returns to the centre position (even by hloding over then moving away).I don't know if it stays in place when the blades are feathered as I only tried it when they were unfeathered as thats the way I save the flight.I would also add make sure the fuel cutoff switches above the pump switches are closed as well (unlit)John Ellison

Just a curious note - has the unfeather switch got to be held to one side? I'm asking because if I move it then move away it returns to the centre position (even by hloding over then moving away).I don't know if it stays in place when the blades are feathered as I only tried it when they were unfeathered as thats the way I save the flight.John Ellison
No it doesn't have to be held. It's spring loaded to the centre position so you only have to click it over to start the pumps.Happy Flying,Andrew

Guest BlueRidgeDx
No it doesn't have to be held. It's spring loaded to the centre position so you only have to click it over to start the pumps.
You're certainly correct about the simulator...the switch is momentary. But I'm pretty sure that in the real airplane, the switch must be held in position to operate the associated unfeathering pump. There are some specific guidelines for the maximum amount of time the pump should be operated on the ground. But the sim has simplified this to a "one-click" operation.Nick

Excellent guide, thank you Andrew. I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to give us an artistic guide rather than a plain old written tutorial. :(

Erik L.

Excellent guide, thank you Andrew. I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to give us an artistic guide rather than a plain old written tutorial. :(
I'm just glad my efforts have gone appreciated!Cheers

AndyI just want to echo Erik's comments. Your guide is clear and concise and even better it works perfectly. :( Thanks for the effort and spreading the knowlege! :(

AndyI just want to echo Erik's comments. Your guide is clear and concise and even better it works perfectly. :( Thanks for the effort and spreading the knowlege! :(
Not a problem, sir! I hope it was of assistance to you.Cheers

Perfect! This is a "MUST HAVE" for every JS41 owner. I struggled for an entire day until I found this. Thanks very much.

I was having trouble starting this wonderful bird, and this tutorial really helped. For me...and it's probably just me... when pressing the unfeather pump switch I press it once to the left wait for the props to turn. Then sit in the FO seat and press it to the right and wait for the props to unfeather. For some reason if I press it left then right straight away - the left engine will start but not the right....weird.Thanks so much for this guide. It has really helped. Rhydian