Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

What a lame excuse

"Weather Maker No Longer to be Freeware?"I read this press release and the title of this thread immediately came to mind.To suggest they have a policy of not charging for software that is not entirely theirs and then to suggest that Pete Dowson's decision is prompting a rethink is weak as ....FSUIPC should not be the vehicle for this kind of rethink after all Pete Dowson has made noises along the lines of continuing to support freeware programs. If they have a product that will stand up to scrutiny and sell on it's merits -- by all means make it commercial but don't hide behind a smokescreen.Software developers that use a half baked excuse such as this deserve to see their potential market move away either to freeware alternatives or to current payware options that are up front and honest in their marketing. At the end of the day supporting a product that identifies itself as payware from the start will most likely result in the development of all the bells and whistles needed with the right level of support and in doing so consign pretenders to the trash can.

Guest Captain Barfbag

How many times have you downloaded an aircraft texture, only to open it up and find that the model is payware? Do you grumble about wasting bandwidth and push the Delete key, even though you just spent half an hour on dial-up? I know I do.It sounds like the Weather Maker guys are concerned about the same sort of thing. They don't want to put in a disclaimer that says, "You have to go out and buy ZZZ software before our product will be of any use to you." They want to package all the necessary parts in the download so you won't have to deal with it. This is a good practice, and I wish more people did it. (The downside, of course, is that it makes the downloads larger.)I work in the software development business. The true cost of delivering a line of code is staggering, when you count all the design, code, test and support that it involves. People who do this "just because it's fun" are doing us all a service, but at some point it becomes a burden. If some of these folks can get a little compensation for all the late nights and lost weekends they've put into this, great. And for all the work they've already done for for free, a hearty "THANK YOU!"

To whom it may concern -You are entitled to your opinions. But before you judge the press release let me give you the reasons behind it.Originally, weather maker was to be only a freeware product. We debated about that before release of the original version because of the amount of time in development. The ultimate decision for going with freeware was because we could not in our minds charge for something the was dependant upon someone else's work (Pete Dowson's FSUIPC). Since then we have been in contact with Mr. Dowson about paying him an percentage of our revenue if we begin to charge for Weather Maker Professional. That way it could cover our time in development costs. For every moment we spend on weather maker that takes us away from other projects that could render us revenue. We all have to live you know. Originally weather maker was to be only a one time project. But because of the overwhelming response, we decided to go further with it. Thus the Professional Edition.We still may issue it as freeware, ultimately it is my final decision. Hopefully, that has cleared up some misunderstanding. I just ask that the next time you have a question or issue, please contact me first before others. My email is: reedstough@calibresoftware.com.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Guest crashing_pilot

Hi Reed,if and when you make it payware,would you please make sure i can buy it with other means than a creditcard?i really like weathermaker:today i put in temp,dewpoint and the whole lot exactly as it was here,and it started to rain.....then going down for a drink,i saw it rained outside too...I DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS PROGRAM!thanks for makin' it guys!!!kind regards

Hi AndyWell we might as well face it.The heart of the hobby is being ripped out and being replaced with a cash register.There is really no use grousing about it as the majority of simmer`s now agree that being compensated financially is the way to go anymore and that the satisfaction of contributing to the community is not enough.There are still a few notable exceptions(ISD,Posky etc) to the above but I see a chain reaction coming that will rock the freeware world.I can inmagine what is going through the minds of these groups as they see all these former freeware programs fall to the siren song of the almighty dollar and why should`nt they go and get a slice themselves.I know I would in the current enviroment.I guess it`s up to the individual weather they want to keep reaching for that brass ring of the realistic FS experience and I for one am wavering.Well summer`s here in the U.S and getting some sun sounds like a good idea to me.Catch you on MSM mate

"Well we might as well face it.The heart of the hobby is being ripped out and being replaced with a cash register."There's tons of freeware still out there. Those who decide to go payware get a lot of press, but there's dozens of utilities, aircraft, scenery, that would last anyone a long time. Pete's deciding to go payware isn't going to end FS. Heck, we don't even know how FS2004 is going to work. Maybe Pete's utility isn't needed.When I was growing up, we had a radio station called KMEL that ran the blurb "If you don't like the news, go out and make some of your own." My challenge to anyone thinking freeware is going to die--go out and write your own utilities, design your own aircraft, your own scenery. Build up your own user base. If you find the cost and effort worth it, and both approximate what those going payware experience, then maybe you are in a position to critique those who decide they have to earn something to continue.I don't see anyone complaining about the pirated file that got posted in Avsim's library yesterday, yet their were something like 80+ downloads before it got pulled. There was one forum post on the subject. Yet freeware, dare it go payware, and it's the crime of the century!Sounds to me like a mixed set of values...

Guest sbdwag

Ive got a few hundred hours in this scenery but almost quit on it. Why because no one expressed any interest in it. Its the gimme, gimme, gimme mentality that make many of us not come back for more. When was the last time you sent a quick emial to anyone and thanked them!. Not very often I suspect. If people were alittle less selfish and learned to respect the individuals that slave over their freely given talents I suspect there would be many more good freeware scenerys and planes than there are now.And you know what if I was five times better at creating scenery than I am and I had a sellable product I would probable give it to my friends and anyone who politly ask for it in private. And the rest "charge em". If they want it no strings attached they could pay for it thank you very much.So dont go banging on people who charge for a well thought out and time intensive product. Many of those products could have been freeware if not for the gimme gimme gimme's out there!Dennishttp://www.wagsterstuff.com/private/edw02.jpg

Ci"When I was growing up, we had a radio station called KMEL that ran the blurb "If you don't like the news, go out and make some of your own." Well that explains a lot to me about your mindset as you took every part of my post out of context and turned it torwards your own agenda.I have been around this hobby long enough and deeply enough to see where the wind is blowing my friend.Instead of superimposing your thoughts on my post I suggest you read it again and take it for what it`s worth.

DennisIf you were addressing me I invite you to look at this thread.http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=57014&page=Have I posted?What did I say?Now I ask you,Do you feel foolish?By the way I like the looks of your scenery and hope you release it to the community.You know not everyone in the community is gimme gimme and some folks would use that and be grateful to have it.I know I would.

After your last "discussion" with me, I expected this response. My reply is not just directed at you, but at the other members of the forum who care to listen--and it may surprise you, but some do care what I have to say. Based on your petty tirade last week, I've pretty much shut your opinion out, and don't care to second guess what you mean between the lines. I also tend to see people who use words like "turned it towards your own agenda" as people who have a bit too much personal feeling invested in the hobby.

Guest sbdwag

No Not really I was just addressing the general mentality that pervades the FS community.Great SceneryTake careDennis

Ci i know what you are trying to do and I`m not going to allow you to bait me.You are irrelevent.I do find it interesting though that seeing that you`ve tuned me out that you found the need to reply to my post in the first place including quotes.Talking about personal.

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

My brothers and sisters as the hot rodding Rodney King would say:Cant Cant Cant we all just get along. :-(

Give it a rest, will ya! People who make it a point to personally attack everyone, and everyone's opinion, get removed from these forums. Without regard to age, race, religion, creed or color, I expect you to conduct yourself so when you disagree, you do so without telling others where to go, what to do, and when to do it. If you don't understand that, the only bait you need to swallow is the "get lost" bait. You can disagree with my opinion all day long. Say "John, your opinion s*cks". I won't take issue with it. But last week you launched an attack against me that you seem intent on continuing here, simply because I asked the moderator to remove a post with a potential libel lawsuit written all over it. Stop it, now, or else I will ask that you get yanked from the forums. Nothing personal.

CiAgain you try to bait me.I suggest you give it a rest as I`ve not attacked you except in your own perception.My original post expressed an opinion that you took offense to and responded.I responeded in kind.If you can`t take dissenting views I suggest a different venue would be something that you may want to explore.Have a nice day.:)