Sign in to follow this  
twisted8

FSX Style Clouds on FS2004?

From my experience if the cloud texture is too large it adversely impacts performance reducing FS9 to FSX style framerates on moderate machines. Hopefully REX for FS9 can keep cloud texture size down to a minimum...
Yea, i use these new 'HD' textures but only use the DXT 512 size for the cumulus. Look much better then FE clouds while maintaining good FPS.

Hello,Been using FSX for a while but I just can't get a decent framerate on FSX using 3 monitors with 3 different views on my 3.0ghz Core2duo. I'm trying FS2004 now and I'm getting much better results and looks like the high settings on FS2004 looks better than the medium settings I have on FSX. My question is what cloud pay/free-ware do you guys recommend to get closer to FSX's REX2.0 Clouds?Thanks!
Twisted 8: In FS2004.....How many FPS are you getting on your 3 monitors? I'm using 3-26" monitors but I was getting some "flashing" on my right hand monitor under heavy loads with mine set to 45 FPS. I pulled it down to 26 FPS and 98% of the time the flashing has stopped. I did notice that when my rig was locked in at 45 FPS with only the center monitor I received 45FPS. Under the same "load", if I added the 2nd monitor, now viewing with 2 monitors the FPS dropped to 22 FPS. If I added the 3rd monitor and now viewing all three monitors, the FPS dropped to 11 FPS. Each time the FPS were cut by 33%. Now away from big cities/airports and a low cloud cover (about 10 % with Active Sky 4.5) I fly with a fairly steady 26 FPS. How about you?? jerrycwo4P.S. This new rig has 3 video cards( one for each monitor) and the CPU is factory overclocked to 4.1 Ghz.

The Pablo Diaz clouds are really nice.Even the low res is better than any payware. I too have the layer of haze that follows me whereaver I go. I have always had it even with the default clouds. I don't know whether it is a function of FS9 or a video card setting. The only thing I have against the clouds is that in bad weather they are not grey enough and the bases are slightly concave instead of convex. I used a in the past a fix for the default clouds that was available on Avsim. I suppose it's a case of swings and roundabouts.Vololiberista

Hi,That is the FS haze layer that will follow you around. You may have had a texture that disabled this layer and now the original type texture is back.
Do you happen to know which texture that is?I've been looking but I cannot find it and it doesn't look very nice seeing that the restof the clouds are dynamic.Edit : would unchecking "Depict FS9 hazer layer" in AS6.5 get rid of that effect maybe?cheersJP.

Hi,I don't know the texture and yes that option in AS removes this. That is why we have that option!!

Is it necessary to have Active Sky installed to use this freeware?If you don't, what happes to the haze layer?

Is anyone having a problem downloading this cloud set? I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly but it appears this file (the link above in this post) is hosted on the Avsim server.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Is anyone having a problem downloading this cloud set? I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly but it appears this file (the link above in this post) is hosted on the Avsim server.
No problem downloading whatsoever and n

Guest Rob3578

WOW!!! This is some great freeware.I have been using Flight Environment but frankly these look better and I seem to be getting a better frame rate using the 1024x1024 versions. :(

Guest DarkAdrien
Is it necessary to have Active Sky installed to use this freeware?If you don't, what happes to the haze layer?
I'm using FSMetar and get this f**** haze layer. In FSMetar no option to disable it so I'm stuck with following clouds...If anyone has a definitive solution, please share :( Thanks

I'm using FSMetar and get this f**** haze layer. In FSMetar no option to disable it so I'm stuck with following clouds...If anyone has a definitive solution, please share :( Thanks
I also use FSMetar. The fact that AS6 can do it means that it is therefore possible to change it somewhere in the FS9 coding. But where? is the problem. Any ideas anyone?Vololiberista

Hi,Purchase ASv6.5 and the coding will take care of itself!Thanks,

Indeed,get AS6.5 ... just look at the support you are getting,and trust me when i say the program itself is just as good.cheersJP.

THose are actually really good!! They transform the FS9 skies :)A couple from my FS9 after HD clouds installation:
How do you get them to look so white? In some screenshots they look really realistic. I tried that pack and the clouds looked really strange, difficult to describe, all individual clouds were very defined, it did not blend at all.Are you using a weather program like Active Sky?Cheers,Sascha