Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marc Sykes

On Line Flying

Here's my question. I would like to fly on line using the nav data that is in FS2002. (I really don't want to buy charts and maps or spend hours on line downloading those that are free} VATSIM is cool but they use REAL WORLD charts (is that correct). I have never found anyone in MS game rooms flying on line. SUGGESTIONS appreciated. Rick

Hi,If you're looking for a very informal, let's get on and just fly around then The MSN Zone and GameSpy would be 2 I suggest. The MSN Zone as of this post has 94 people on-line. GameSpy isn't as well used as the MSN Zone but you can still find people on-line.I'm sure others will have input for you!!Have Fun!!Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

Guest Marc Sykes

If you go on VATSIM and the controllers aren't particularly busy and you put "NO CHARTS AVAILABLE" in the remarks field of your flight plan, you can probably get away without them. Most likely they'll just give you departure and approach vectors, kind of like FS ATC. Not exactly realistic, but hey, if that's what you want, go for it.However, I wouldn't say you should have to spend "hours" downloading charts online. Go to a route planning site (simatc.tellan.net is good) or the route planning forum here at Avsim and try to find the preferred route for where you're going. For example, if you're planning SFO-LAX, it's not hard to find out that the preferred route is PORTE3.AVE.SADDE6. You can go to www.myairplane.com and download both charts in about one minute (the PORTE3 is under KSFO airport info., and there's a separate section that lists all STARs alphabetically where you can find the SADDE6).Hope this helps.Marc