Sign in to follow this  
GHD

Multiple Monitors. What video card?

Hi All, I have obtained 2 tft 17" monitors and am looking for a video card to run them on!I have recently bought a Geoforce 4 mx card and noticed that it has a Nvidia N-Veiw function. i have contacted the card manufacter who state that the only way to run a dual monior set up is to have a card with multiple VGA ports. This is where i need your help!!What card has multiple VGA ports???I don't want to break the bank so a mid range one will do! As long as the quality is ok of course.CheersDarenAMD 2800XP 333FSBMIS Motherboard512 DDR RAM80GB HDDG-Force 4 MX:-zhelp

The GF4 MX in my P1.5 has a VGA and DVI port. You can get a DVI to VGA converter and plug a second VGA monitor into the DVI port.

Guest goon

Pick up just about any old PCI VGA card, and use that for your second monitor. I just put my 2D panel on my 17" and use my 19" for VC and external.

Guest Stompy

I've got a GeForce 4 Ti4400 that also has both VGA and DVI, and I too used a converter. If you wanna do this from one card, at least you get more performance with a new one (maybe). :-) Mine was pretty much the midrange as far as the 4000 series was concerned. Plus, I'm running WinXP, so multi-monitor support is built in. When I started the process of adding a second monitor I did the same research, and was advised against using the nView program. I didn't, and it's been working fine ever since. Of course, if you don't have XP.....

Hi guys, Thanks for your advice! I have looked at the back of my Geoforce 4 MX card and only have 2 sockets! A VGA socket and a TV OUT socket! Alas no DVI!!! I have noticed 2 options on this thread.Performance wise which do you think is best. Adding a second card on a PCI format or changing my video card to one with a VGA and DVI socket.Incidentally i have noticed on EBAY that there are some maxtron card with dual VGA soceket. How would they rate against your suggestions I am ready to purchase so your prompt advice is greatly appreciated!Daren:-jumpy :-zhelp :-zhelp :-zhelp AMD 2800XP 333FSBWindows XP ProMIS Motherboard512 DDR RAM80GB HDDG-Force 4 MX

Guest goon

As I say, just about any old PCI card will do. You'll have to check that you can set your BIOS to boot to a PCI VGA device for most of the older ones. With this set up you can't have 3D accelerated graphics on more than one monitor (not sure how the dual head cards will work in this respect), but you still get all the advantages (a huge desktop for a start). Unfortunately under XP you can only run one legacy PCI card. I ran 4 monitors off my old Win98 machine!If you haven'y already, do a search on the forum here. It's where I got almost all the information I needed.So, if you have an old PCI VGA card lying around (or can lay your hands on a 'scrapped' one) you can try it for free. Before you lash out on a new card, check whether you can get 3D Accelerated on two screens, and hunt around for an old card.I take it you are not in the UK? Regards,Gareth Evans

Hi Gareth, Yes i'm in the UK Why?

Guest goon

Got a couple of cards in my cupboard that I know work under XP, I could send you one if you like, they're only taking up space in my already cluttered drawers.

That would be superb mate!If you don't mind!I will mail you.CheersDaren

Guest jmarcure

Yes, nView is not the way to go. I was playing around with it the other night and it is more of a desktop expander than a multi-monitor setup. I was not able to get a seperate view that allowed me to mover windows between displays. It also didn't wouk in full screen mode.Jon

Yes, NView is the best way. Set it for horizontal spanning, open a new window, undock it then drag to your second monitor.I have a TI4600 with two DVI outputs running two digital flat panels. I can have the cockpit view on the main monitor and a spot view plus GPS on the other. Also, FSScreen captures both screens in one bmp file.George

I'm currently running Windows XP with one NVidia GeForce 4 TI 4200 and an older ATI Mach64 PCI card. FS2004 complains that I don't have enough video memory and refuses to run FS with hardware acceleration, even on the monitor driven by the AGP card with 128 MB on board. Some sites I've researched suggest that this problem may be because of the need for the older card to be set up as the primary video display in the BIOS (to give it access to the Video BIOS). Any thoughts on what might be wrong and how to fix it? Please e-mail me at moxner@nbnet.nb.ca if you can think of anything to help.

Guest ScottPilot

I also feel the NView is the way to go.I am using Nview 3, which is installed with the Nvidia 44.03 drivers.I have two 17" Monitors connected to a GeForce MX 440 card and I have been running both FS2002 and FS2004 with the main cockpit view on monitor 1 and all my radio stacks, and other control windows, on monitor 2. Just undock he windows and drag them over to monitor 2.Be sure that you have "window spanning" enabeled for your second monitor.The whole reason I originally bought the MX 440 card was to get the multi-monitor support. For me it has worked well.I use the feature for more than just flight simulator!Happy Simming!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real aviation world.

I would like to agree with George and Scott.I use NView with my Ti4200 and love the results. Allen