Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

ATTN: Windows XP Users....

Guest WorkingStiff

Have any of you installed the Windows Update titled "NVIDIA display software update released on May 02 2003."If so what has been your experience? How does this differ from the WHQL drivers released by nVidia?

Hi Stiff,I saw a similar update for my nForce soundchip. After installing it, I wanted to roll back to my previous driver, but ended up having to re-download it from the nVidia website. And there I found the information (buried deep down somewhere), that the driver on the Windows update site is in fact a lot older than the date suggests, and the more recent one was the one I previously had - but for some reason Windows update wouldn't detect that.It might be worth having a look through the nVidia website before installing that driver.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest TerryT

I have download from Windows update site in the past and had no problems. Of course drivers come out through Nvidia and or 3DGuru sites a whole lot faster than through Microsoft.One thing I did notice is that the file size at Microsoft Windows site is 11.3 Mb and the file from Nvidia is 18.8 Mb. Sounds like Microsoft's version is missing something, doesn't it?I would have expected Microsoft to have the larger file as they are known for adding extras to updates which usually foul up your computers operation.Terry

Guest WorkingStiff

Thanks for the reply Gosta.My curiousity got the better of me and I selected that option in the Windows Update. It turns out that it installs the nVidia 44.03 drivers. I had been using the 29.42 drivers since I only have a Geforce 3 card, but these new drivers are a huge improvement. I noticed the difference in clarity and crispness as soon as I rebooted...then I checked the driver properties and noticed it had changed from 29.42 to 44.03.Now, what is puzzling is that the 44.03 WHQL driver set on the nVidia website is about 18.8 MB in size while the Microsoft download was only 11 MB.The only minor irritant I've noticed so far is that now the nVidia Media Center applet is installed although i suppose I can turn it off even though its not in my Startup folder.

Guest WorkingStiff

Terry, we posted the same observation about the file size at the same time. I'm guessing that Windows Update scans the computer and only installs what is necessary rather than the entire driver package which covers a wide range of display cards.

Hi Stiff,>Now, what is puzzling is that the 44.03 WHQL driver set on the nVidia website is about 18.8 MB in size while the Microsoft download was only 11 MB.:).Glad the driver is working fine for you. Just one thing - was there also a discrepancy in the date between the nVidia driver and the Windows update version, like there was for the nForce one?Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest WorkingStiff

The Windows Update version of the 44.03 drivers was created on Friday, May 02, 2003, 3:19:00 PM.By comparison, the nVidia version was RELEASED on May 14, 2003. Since I had never installed this version I don't know when it was created.

Gents ... I think what you're talking about is a display software update, not a driver update. That is also there, separately, on the Windows Update page. Depending on your setup, of course. No time to explain more at this moment ... check the page ... I'm rebuilding my hard drive just now!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Hi Mark,how is your computer doing? Did you finally get the Compaq CD? As to the display software, it seems that on Stiff's computer it did actually install the driver, as his driver properties changed - but the MS terminology can be somewhat confusing sometimes...Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest WorkingStiff

Isn't a driver for nVidia based video displays a "display software update?"

Guest WorkingStiff

Nope...this download installed both the 44.03 driver and the nVidia Media Center (Control Panel).