Sign in to follow this  

XP Professional Opinion/Problems With FS?

Guest sziegler

I am considering loading Windows XP Professional onto my home computer...Should I expect any problems running FS2002? Advice is appreciated!

Guest dpc

Go for it.. Very stable on my systems. Service Pack 1 didn't play nice on my system though, so I uninstalled that. I won't make a recommendation either way on installing the SP1 because systems vary so much but I am quite happy with XP.Primary FS ComputerAMD Athlon 2700+Epox EP-8RDA+512m OCZ PC3200 ramATI Radeon 9700pro VidWinXP (No-SP1!--removed it)

If you haven't purchased WinXP Pro yet, I recommend purchasing WinXP Home. Unless, of course, you are going to use this computer as a systems manager over a bunch of LANed computers.I have 5 computers on my Home LAN, 1 - WinXP Pro, 3 - WinXP Home, and 1 - Win98SE. Two of the WinXP computers also have Win98SE installed in a dual boot installation (When I get around to redoing those two computers, they will only have WinXP).I don't use any of the extra functions on the WinXP Pro edition and this is the reason I recommend the Home edition. Another reason is everytime I have to load software, I have to be in my administrator's account. Some software doesn't want to load properly and a User Account has a problem using the software.Other than those preferences mentioned, my WinXP systems operate FS2002 and other simulations very well.

XP is great and totally stable. As the previous person said, unless you need some special features on the Pro version, just save some money and go with XP Home.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I am running FS on XP Pro and have no compatibility problems at all. I say go for it.KP

None whatsoever. Advantage to the pro version is that it will support hyperthreading or multiple processors which the Home version apparently does not.

Correct. The Home addition does not support HT technology (not sure why but who would ask Microsoft). HT has a small O/S bug that SP1 or a more recent hot fix will cure. I got to have the HT for the new parts if I decide to get them.Otherwise, no problems with XP Pro at all. I had no better performance on ME than I did with XP except XP proved to be a lot more stable and you have better control over your processes....Good Day.Jay BirchCFI,CFII,MEIMobile, ALwww.clearedasfiled.com