Sign in to follow this  

Changing Texture Formats to Improve Framerates

There was a post on this forum a few months back in regards to changing the format of textures on AI Aircraft (PAI , FSP, etc.) to improve framerates. The suggestion was to open the textures using imagetool and save the DXT3 textures as DXT1. It cuts the size of the bitmap in half and you will eliminate reflections but to me, that does not matter as I like a lot of AI and I have a lower end machine so I can live with that. The problem is, when I try this, the textures get all messed up. Some turn black, some other colors. Don't know is there is something else in Imagetool that I need to do to the texture to correct this. Just trying to figure out what step I am missing here. Could not find any more info in the other post.Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Flying,Mark

Guest Van

Hi,What you want to do is download a program called DXTBmp (freeware). This program is an absolute must when editing textures. A good practice is to save your edits without mipmaps as mipmaps can cause blurred texturing.See the link below.http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htmRegards,Van LatendresseYeoDesigns/AFG GroupPanel/FDE Designer

Hi Van, Thanks for the info. I will download the program and play around with it.Happy Flying!Mark