Sign in to follow this  
gwillmot

Trying to Upgrade FS9 to FS9.1

Everyone,I have been running FS9.0 ever since I loaded it onto my computer. I am also running the no-CD patch.I have recently become tired of seasonal CTDs. In addition, I would love to add some payware scenery which requires the FS9.1 version. I remember trying to upgrade a couple of times in the past with no success. I decided to give it another attempt. I am determined to overcome the difficulties that I previously experience.I downloaded the 9.1 patch this morning. I removed the FS9.exe (no-cd) from my FS9 main directory. I saved it to the desktop.I inserted the FS9.exe as found on Disk 1 of my original CDs into the main FS9 directory. I then inserted the fs91upd.exe into the main FS9 directory and executed it. Upon beginning execution, I received the following message: "UPDATE ERROR TYPE: 34".Needless to say, nothing went beyond that. Can anyone give me some insight into what Error #34 is and what I can possible do to update to FS9.1?In the past, I have live by: "If it's not broke, don't fix it", but upgrading would allow me to add new scenery which requires it.Hope you can help, and thanks in advance for any assistance you can render.gwillmot

Update Error Type: 34Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.You may receive the "Update Error Type: 34" error message if there is a registry value that is not valid for the location of the Fs9.exe file. To resolve this error message, correct the EXE Path string value in the registry. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.2. Locate and then select the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.03. Right-click the EXE Path string value, and then click Modify.4. In the Value data box, use one of the following procedures, and then click OK:* Type the correct path of the Fs9.exe file. For example, type C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 in the Value data box.* Delete the path in the Value data box.5. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.6. Double-click the Fs91upd.exe file to install the update.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894732

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi.Just curious, but wouldent the Flight1 registry repair tool do this for the guy instead of having to mess with the registry himself.The regedit utility can of course be your friend, but it can also be your worst nightmare too.Have a look here http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library it's the fith one up from the bottom.Also, if this does not work, then try the file suggested in this thread which works when others don't. http://www.flightsimlabs.com/Forums/tabid/...ic/Default.aspxLet us know how you get on gwillmot :(

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.I used the Flight1 FS Registry repair utility. I then verified that the FS9.exe path was correct using the regedit method (double sure).Unfortunately, running the FS9.1 update produced the same results and error type.I'm really sort of at a loss here. I do remember modifying something years ago to remove the fast food signs, etc. to improve performance since my processor wasn't too great at the time.The only other thing is that I'm running Ultimate Terrain USA, Canada/Alaska, and Europe within which I've checked to remove misplaced FS2004 landmarks and buildings. Other than that, I've just got a ton of addons.What do you think?gwillmot

I inserted the FS9.exe as found on Disk 1 of my original CDs into the main FS9 directory.
Could that be the problem?When I used the no-CD patch I renamed FS9.exe but left it in the same folder. When I updated I deleted the no_CD version (it won't work with the update- you need another) then changed the name of the original file back to FS9exe. That worked.This may be to late for you, but may help others.I also understand that because of the way the update process works it may fail if certain key Microsoft files have been modified - possibly be 3rd party add-ons. I don't know what error message this gives.

There is also at least one .dll file (AI-Playr.dll or something like that) that needs to be the original version as well. This particular .dll gets modifed when the AI taxi speed is changed.Somewhere in here is a thread that talks about this but can't locate it right now.

Also, as I remember the FS9.1 installation leaves a folder in your FS9 folder that is not removed upon uninstallation. This folder must be deleted before it will install again.Hope this helps,Tom

Also, as I remember the FS9.1 installation leaves a folder in your FS9 folder that is not removed upon uninstallation. This folder must be deleted before it will install again.Hope this helps,Tom
Tom,You're right, but that folder has been long gone. That doesn't appear to be the source of the problem. I seem to have faint recollections that other files must be "original".....terrain.cfg?gwillmot

Guest belga1

HelloThat's all the files in my backup directory created by the patch installation (so it's the files modified after patching) and no terrain.cfg in ablscpt.A213.dll acontain.A213.dll ai_playr.A213.dll atc.A213.dll controls.A213.dll demo.A213.dll display.A213.cfg dynamic.A213.dll facilities.A213.dll fe.A213.dll flight.A213.dll fs9.A213.exe fsui.A213.dll g2d.A213.dll g3d.A213.dll Generic.A213.bgl global.A213.dll gps.A213.dll gps_export.A213.dll instructor.A213.dll main.A213.dll mpchat.A213.dll multiplayer.A213.dll panels.A213.dll reality.A213.dll sim1.A213.dll simscheduler.A213.dll sound.A213.dll symmap.A213.dll terrain.A213.dll traffic.A213.dll unpatch.bak util.A213.dll visualfx.A213.dll weather.A213.dll window.A213.dllRegards.bye.gifGus.

HelloThat's all the files in my backup directory created by the patch installation (so it's the files modified after patching) and no terrain.cfg in ablscpt.A213.dll acontain.A213.dll ai_playr.A213.dll atc.A213.dll controls.A213.dll demo.A213.dll display.A213.cfg dynamic.A213.dll facilities.A213.dll fe.A213.dll flight.A213.dll fs9.A213.exe fsui.A213.dll g2d.A213.dll g3d.A213.dll Generic.A213.bgl global.A213.dll gps.A213.dll gps_export.A213.dll instructor.A213.dll main.A213.dll mpchat.A213.dll multiplayer.A213.dll panels.A213.dll reality.A213.dll sim1.A213.dll simscheduler.A213.dll sound.A213.dll symmap.A213.dll terrain.A213.dll traffic.A213.dll unpatch.bak util.A213.dll visualfx.A213.dll weather.A213.dll window.A213.dllRegards.bye.gifGus.
Thanks for the list. Since I really don't know what the problem could be, I'll probably have to leave well enough alone and stick without the 9.1 patch.I guess my philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" will have to remain in effect.gwillmot

Hi GwillmotDid you try the Tweek FS item as well as the F1 item in my earlier reply.I was sure that at least the tweek one might help even if the F1 didn't work.

Hi GwillmotDid you try the Tweek FS item as well as the F1 item in my earlier reply.I was sure that at least the tweek one might help even if the F1 didn't work.
Yep, sure did. Used both and both then verified that my registry value was perfectly OK.gwillmot

HelloThat's all the files in my backup directory created by the patch installation (so it's the files modified after patching) and no terrain.cfg in ablscpt.A213.dll......... .
Mine are all ablscptA274.dll etc. I wonder why?

Guest belga1

Hello,

Mine are all ablscptA274.dll etc. I wonder why?
The code added (A274) is just a thing generated by the backup system .. the file is the same as mine:ablscpt.dllRegards.bye.gifGus.

Tom,You're right, but that folder has been long gone. That doesn't appear to be the source of the problem. I seem to have faint recollections that other files must be "original".....terrain.cfg?gwillmot
Not just terrain.cfg, but the other cfg files on disk 1 (scenery.cfg, display.cfg and another one I think, maybe device.cfg) should be original. KJ