Sign in to follow this  
Guest CharlesH

What's all the fuss about FS2004?

If you look upon FS2000 as a somewhat ill-fated alpha release of FS2002 then the leap from FS98 to FS2002 was ENORMOUS in every respect.The jump from FS2002 to FS2004, on the other hand, is not all that much compared with what went before. It seems to me that it's going to be more of an upgrade/enhancement.Good ol' Bear's review of FS2002 seems a bit like an obituary to me - bye, bye 2002, it's been nice knowing ya, RIP :-waveAm I really, really missing something here as I can't get excited about FS2004 at all.David

Guest estevesm

I'll have to partially agree with you. I too think that FS2k4 will be a $50 patch to FS2k2. And, unlike a lot of simmers, I'm more interested in some of the ac in FS2k2, and very interested in correct flight dynamics. I don't really care about "volumetric clouds", although it's a nice to have.My thing is: flight dynamics and panels close to reality.My approach to FS2k4 will be a wait and see. I'll wait for the comments who will rush to the stores on July 25th...

Guest tascaso

I agree it is a $50 patch and quite late to boot...(no pun intended). From what the Beta folks have released it will have better behaving weather, a real nice map that may replace FSNav...we shall see. Tighter code..sure...but the graphics still require CPU horsepower if you are going push the sliders all the way to the right. I have already pre-ordered my sample. Ritual I guess, new hard drive on the way also, Western Digital Caviar 120gig 7200RPM ATA/100. New AMD XP2600 and another stick of CORSAIR DDR 333 2700 512meg.I do not even spend that much time flying FS2002, so I may just load it up take it for a spin and give it to my nephew!My current faves are!GT Racing 2002 mod for EA F12002360 Modena Challenge Cup Mod for GT Racing 2002/EA F12002Ubisoft IL-2 Forgotten BattlesUbisoft IL-2EA Games Medal of Honor Online only!Tony

Guest paulri

>Am I really, really missing something here as I can't get>excited about FS2004 at all.Well, then, don't buy it. If the vastly improved ATC and weather (not to mention the new VCs) are not something you really care about, then stay with FS2002. For fair weather, VFR only types, who just enjoy looking at scenery, it should be a great sim. I have no idea where your interests lie, BTW, since you did not say. But if you are REALLY into IFR/IMC flying, and like a lot of accurate activity from AI aircraft, then to me getting FS2004 is a no-brainer. The cost of FS2004 is about what I pay for a single evening out to dinner and a movie with my wife. And NO, I am not comparing the enjoyment of flight simming to my enjoyment of living with my wife of 47 years. :-lol Is it an upgrade--well, sure it is, at least I hope so. Just like a 2003 automobile is an upgrade to a 2000 or 2001 or 2002 automobile. Do you ever trade cars even though your current one is running just fine just to get some of the newer optional equipment? As far as the classic aircraft, I might just be tempted to try them out. Some of them were even developed during the early years of my generation--but that does not include the Wright Flyer. :-)Bottom line, if FS2004 has something that appeals to you, then get it. If it doesn't, then don't. Real simple. Regards,PaulPS I am NOT flaming you--you appear to have asked a sincere question. And I am trying to answer in the same vein.

Guest Bigshot

You mean FS2004 is payware. What a bunch of #@@###@#@#@! }(}(

>If you look upon FS2000 as a somewhat ill-fated alpha release>of FS2002 then the leap from FS98 to FS2002 was ENORMOUS in>every respect.>>The jump from FS2002 to FS2004, on the other hand, FS98 to FS2002 is 3 releases, FS2002 to FS2004 are 2 releases then what kind of silly comparison it is ?No, don't get excited about FS2004. Wait for the next ENORMOUS leap till FS2010. Oh, by the way, I suggest you do the same for cars, airplanes and toothpastes.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

**FS98 to FS2002 is 3 releases, FS2002 to FS2004 are 2 releases then what kind of silly comparison it is ?**Sorry, pal, but I just don't understand you. Sure, I understand the mathematics - 3 releases and 2 releases - but innovation and entirely new features aren't based on figures. Well, not in my book anyway. I was trying to compare features not maths :-lolDavid

>I'll have to partially agree with you. I too think that FS2k4 will be a $50 patch to FS2k2. And, unlike a lot of simmers, I'm more interested in some of the ac in FS2k2, and very interested in correct flight dynamics. I don't really care about "volumetric clouds", although it's a nice to have.My thing is: flight dynamics and panels close to reality.My approach to FS2k4 will be a wait and see. I'll wait for the comments who will rush to the stores on July 25th...

Is anyone keeping a list of all the people saying FS2004 is a patch, or nothing to get excited about? We need to enforce some sort of rule that none of the nay-sayers are allowed to obtain FS2004. Then we can watch them all squirm after we get it and they aren't allowed to upgrade. :)

Ok, I'm seriously getting sick of these threads - there's one every couple days now. People seem to have a hard time understanding the difference between a PATCH and an UPGRADE. A PATCH is a release designed to fix BUGS in the initial release; an UPGRADE adds new features to the program. If all FS2004 did was fix things like the glidslope capture bug, the ground coeffiecient of friction, and the turboprop model, then I'd say yes, it's is a patch. Where, however, do you get that massively overhauling the weather engine, improving ATC and autogen, adding new planes, makign VC's fully interactive, updating the interface, adding a full blown Garmin 500 series GPS, and making overall graphical improvments consitutes a PATCH rather than an upgrade? FS2002's weather system is not bugged, the GPS is not bugged, and the VCs aren't bugged.I'm gonna laugh so hard when all of you naysayers upgrade anyway and then start raving about what you can do in the new sim...Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>Ok, I'm seriously getting sick of these threads - there's one>every couple days now. Yes, they think they are very original but are in fact bo..oooring. I consider them "attention grabbing" threads - nothing more. And most of these folks will be first in line to buy the new release. Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest edrutl

and the sad part is we have another 5 weeks of these threads being posted. Then they'll be replaced with the following threads.* "XXX store has it in stock" * "I've loaded it, played it for 5 seconds and here is my review"* "This program sucks and has X,X, and X bugs" thread* "X, X, and X feature don't work" (usually RTFM issues)* "My house is missing from the scenery, it needs a patch"* "MicroSoft is a bunch of ($#)#I$"We've seen it with every release since FS98. It'll be hard to separate the wheat from the chaff for the next 2 months.ed

Ryan, don't forget the massive redoing of who knows how many airports worldwide....it seems as if the default airport scenery has been updated quite a bit as well. Not to mention the photoreal textures.....I'd get it just for the AI updates, the weather and scenery clinches it. -Corey

Guest Markyboy

"Am I really, really missing something here as I can't get excited about FS2004 at all."Excited enough to post it would seem.In addition to 2k2 I still have my copies of FS98 & 2000 and will buy 2004 for sure. There has been great improvements in every version and in any case, lets not knock it till we've tried it and if you really don't fancy it, its not compulsary to buy it.Happy Flying Whatever Version,Markyboy.

>Am I really, really missing something here as I can't get>excited about FS2004 at all.Yeah, you're missing something...On the NG this kind of post is called a "troll."Drop the baited hook in the water and watch all the fish jump towards the bait... :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg