Sign in to follow this  
cniedzi

No FMS data after loading saved flight

Hi Guys,Sometimes, after loading a saved flights, there is no FMS data, i.e. flight plan (747X, MD11), even after loading corresponding panel state. Do you have such issues and how to resolve it?R.czarek niedzinski

I always enter or create a flight plan after loading a saved flight. Didn't know the panel state include the FMS state.

Dan Downs KCRP

I always enter or create a flight plan after loading a saved flight. Didn't know the panel state include the FMS state.
Thx Dan for reply,Do you do this even in the cruise phase? In the most cases, the FMS keeps data after loading a saved flight, but sometimes there is a problem...r.czarek niedzinski

Oh, in cruise there is a trick to get the FMS restored. It's been mentioned in several threads here but I don't recall since I don't try to save flights in progress. Sorry. Try advanced search for the info.

Dan Downs KCRP

Oh, in cruise there is a trick to get the FMS restored. It's been mentioned in several threads here but I don't recall since I don't try to save flights in progress. Sorry. Try advanced search for the info.
I will try to do a search :) thx Dan

The 744 and MD-11 should save the FMS data with the panel state... Can you give a specific example of what state the FMC is in when you see this happen?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I have the exact same problem. I just bought a pretty powerful gaming PC with Win10/64 (i7-7700, 32G RAM, NVidia GTX1080). I am using FSX-SE.

My PC came with Win10 Anniversary Edition, but I immediately upgraded it to Creators Edition. I installed all programs from scratch. I also have ORBX Global Base, Vector and N.America.

I am just developing a procedure how to save flights etc.

My approach is to start from Cold and Dark state, start up the electrical system, switch to ground power and program the FMC, than save the flight.

I am saving every flight before pushback, taxi, takeoff, top-of-climb, top-of-descent, arrival and approach (so far I have created only a couple of flights, because of this problem). 

When I was trying to reload the saved flights, the FMC was in its default state: the same one you get when you long press the MENU button in the Cold and Dark state with the FMC backlight / panel light illuminated (so the display appears bright, rather than black). So far I dealt with the issue by re-loading the rte file (that I also save for each route) and then redoing the entire initialization.

I can do that for flight segments where the airplane is on the ground (not moving), but it does not work in the air (ToC, ToD, Arrival, Appch).

I saw some similar issues, where simConnect was misbehaving, so I reinstalled simConnect, but that did not help. I believe I did not have this problem early on (can't quite remember, since I am new to flight simming). Perhaps coincidentally the problem started to happen after I installed ORBX, but can't say for sure.

If you have any idea please help.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Aviator2020X said:

I have the exact same problem. I just bought a pretty powerful gaming PC with Win10/64 (i7-7700, 32G RAM, NVidia GTX1080). I am using FSX-SE.

My PC came with Win10 Anniversary Edition, but I immediately upgraded it to Creators Edition. I installed all programs from scratch. I also have ORBX Global Base, Vector and N.America.

I am just developing a procedure how to save flights etc.

My approach is to start from Cold and Dark state, start up the electrical system, switch to ground power and program the FMC, than save the flight.

I am saving every flight before pushback, taxi, takeoff, top-of-climb, top-of-descent, arrival and approach (so far I have created only a couple of flights, because of this problem). 

When I was trying to reload the saved flights, the FMC was in its default state: the same one you get when you long press the MENU button in the Cold and Dark state with the FMC backlight / panel light illuminated (so the display appears bright, rather than black). So far I dealt with the issue by re-loading the rte file (that I also save for each route) and then redoing the entire initialization.

I can do that for flight segments where the airplane is on the ground (not moving), but it does not work in the air (ToC, ToD, Arrival, Appch).

I saw some similar issues, where simConnect was misbehaving, so I reinstalled simConnect, but that did not help. I believe I did not have this problem early on (can't quite remember, since I am new to flight simming). Perhaps coincidentally the problem started to happen after I installed ORBX, but can't say for sure.

If you have any idea please help.

Thanks.

Hi Aviator2020X,

Do you have FSX:SE installed in a Programs folder?  If so, try running it as administrator.   If it is in a Programs folder the panel states may not be saved due to security restrictions.

If that doesn't work, please state which aircraft you are using and whether you ever had a dual install of FSX Box and FSX Steam on this computer, and the installation folder for FSX.

PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

It is in the programs folder. I always run it from Steam. I also have a shortcut on my desktop, but it does not have the feature to run it as administrator. How do I do that for a shortcut?

I also thought this was due to security restrictions, but I don't know how to change it, or how to exempt particular programs/folders or files from such restrictions.

No dual install. I am using FSX-SE from the beginning.

Regards,

-Csaba

1 minute ago, Aviator2020X said:

I also thought this was due to security restrictions, but I don't know how to change it, or how to exempt particular programs/folders or files from such restrictions.

You need to go to the actual program icon at the top level folder of FSX,  Right click on fsx.exe, then choose "Compatibility," then at the bottom check "Run as Administrator."

It is possible to install FSX Steam outside of the Programs folder but you would have to reinstall FSX.

Which aircraft are you using?

Again, PMDG wants you to sign your full, real name in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Mike, my real name is Csaba Moldvai. I was not aware that it was required to write first and last name.

Thanks for the info. So I set it up as "Run as Administrator" and started the FSX.

I fly the PMDG B737NG.

I started from a state where the FMC was not programmed. I configured the airplane for just before I can request a pushback, which included programming the FMC. My flight was from KOAK to KONT, CNDEL3 departure, ... ZIGGY5 arrival

I also set up the jetway, opened the front left door and saved the flight.

Closed FSX and then restarted it. Before that I checked the this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\PanelState

There were three new files relating to my saved flight: 

1. IFR KOAK - KONT B738 APU.FLT.0.rte
  2. IFR KOAK - KONT B738 APU.FLT.fmc
  3. IFR KOAK - KONT B738 APU.FLT.sav

I opened the .rte file and it corresponded to the route that was initially programmed into the FMC. So the data was saved. Both of these files have this weird multiple extensions .FLT.0.rt and .FLT.fmc and I don't know if this is expected or not.

In the FSX Files folder: C:\Users\csaba\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files I have the following three files:

1. IFR KOAK - KONT B738 APU.FLT
  2. IFR KOAK - KONT B738 APU.FSSAVE
  3. IFR KOAK - KONT B738 APU.WX

I started FSX and opened this flight: "IFR KOAK - KONT B738 APU".

The airplane loaded, but the FMC came up in the state that I described before (the page where you can select FMC, FS Actions and Load state panel (or similar). The backlight was still turned up, so I had to press the upper right button to make the display again black. 
Once I entered the FMC, the route was not in there and of course no performance initialization was (and could not have been) executed.

By the way, the jetway was not attached to the plane, the door was open, though, which would be quite dangerous if this was not a sim :biggrin:

Here are the first few waypoints in: "IFR KOAK - KONT B738 APU.FLT.0.rte", which looks about right.

PMDG737NGFMC *2.1* and PMDGFMC *3.0* and PMDGFMC *4.0* and PMDGFMC *4.1* and PMDGFMC *5.0*

KOAK
KOAK
-
DIRECT
1 N 37.7204 W 122.242 0
1 N 37.7017 W 122.215 9

- 9 -1000000 -1000000
0 0 0 0
X
0 0 0
0 -1000000 0 0

(520)
(520FT)
-
CNDEL3
1 N 37.7243 W 122.248 0

Here are the first few lines and some excerpts from the from the middle of the .sav file:

[Failures]
Service Based Failures=0
[Failure Groups]
Random Failures.0=0
Random Per 10hr.0=0
Limit Random Failures.0=0
Randoms To Fire.0=1
Randoms Fired.0=0
Random Timer.0=643.721839 643.721839 -1.000000 0 0
Random Failures.1=0
Random Per 10hr.1=0
Limit Random Failures.1=0

APU Gen Active=0
IDG L Available=1
IDG R Available=1
IDG L Active=0
IDG R Active=0
IDG L Disconnected=0
IDG R Disconnected=0
APU/IDG Power Save Arm=0
APU/IDG Power Save Cancel=0
Ground Power Available=1
Ground Power Active=1
Ground Power Requested=1
Main Battery Voltage=28.000075
Aux Battery Voltage=28.000000
[FuelSystem.0]
Pump Switch 1 Fwd=1
Pump Switch 2 Fwd=0
Pump Switch 1 Aft=0
Pump Switch 2 Aft=0
Pump Switch Left Center=0
Pump Switch Right Center=0
Pump Switch Crossfeed=1
Fuel Type=0
Fuel Temp=10015
Fuel Used 1=163.453988
Fuel Used 2=163.453988
Left Main Tank FRMN=7400.899355
Center Wing Tank FRMN=0.000000
Right Main Tank FRMN=7435.960087
Left Engine Fuel Valve=1
Right Engine Fuel Valve=1
Left Spar Fuel Valve=1
Right Spar Fuel Valve=1
Crossfeed Fuel Valve=0
Left Forward Fuel Pump=1
Right Forward Fuel Pump=0
Left Aft Fuel Pump=0
Right Aft Fuel Pump=0
Center Left Fuel Pump=0
Center Right Fuel Pump=0
[Payload.0]
FirstClassGuests=7
[FlightControls]
Flight Control A Switch=2
Flight Control A Switch  Guard=0
Flight Control B Switch=2
Flight Control B Switch  Guard=0
Alt Flaps Master Switch=0
Alt Flaps Master Switch  Guard=0
Alt Flaps Position Switch=1
Spoiler A Switch=1
Spoiler A Switch  Guard=0
Spoiler B Switch=1
Spoiler B Switch  Guard=0

Looks like the positions of the switches, dials, radio settings are stored in this file. The file date code also corresponds to the time when I saved the flight.

So, it seems to me:

1. that this is not the admin rights, since the files are written and the date code matches the time when I saved the flight.
  2. The files are there and their content looks about right (to the best of my knowledge)
  3. Looks like somehow the files are not loaded correctly (or at all) 

Can I send these file over to you? I zipped them up.

What else could be wrong?

Regards, Csaba Moldvai

Instead of loading individual files why don't you just load the saved flight from the Free Flight Screen Load button. Click on the load button, highlight the flight you want, and click Fly Now. And leave the CDU/FMC alone. Don't touch it. Don't touch anything during initialization. I have done this several hundred times and all FMC data is saved with the exception of the FIX page.

3 hours ago, Aviator2020X said:

What else could be wrong?

The files and their locations look correct.  Sending them to me won't be necessary or useful.  The position of the jetway is not part of the NGX but is part of FSX so the jetway position won't be saved.  So either save the flight with closed cabin doors or instruct your virtual flight attendant to warn the passengers:cool:!

A couple of questions:

1) What flight shows in the initial startup screen of FSX, before you select the NGX or load a saved flight?  It should be the default Trike.

2) Do you shut  down FSX in between saving your flight and reloading it?  If you don't do this the results will be unpredictable.

3) Are you loading the saved flight as Michael C. described (works for me too)?

2 hours ago, pcubine said:

Instead of loading individual files why don't you just load the saved flight from the Free Flight Screen Load button. Click on the load button, highlight the flight you want, and click Fly Now. And leave the CDU/FMC alone. Don't touch it. Don't touch anything during initialization. I have done this several hundred times and all FMC data is saved with the exception of the FIX page.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

To answer your questions:

1. It is the default Trike. I did not use any flights with PMDG as default flight. I read in the forum that was not recommended.

2. I do shut it down and restart FSX

3. Yes. I am following Michael C. description

I have a test-ground install at my work where I test things before I mess with my own PC. This problem initially showed up on my home PC (the good one). I re-installed everything from scratch and so far I don't have the issue.

I am testing on the work PC. On that one I did a fresh reinstall, but that did not resolve the problem. Since my home PC got fixed with the re-install I don't mess with it too much.

I guess at one point, when I have some free time, I will do a fresh re-install of Steam, FSX and PMDG on the work PC and let you know the outcome.

I vaguely remember that at one point I accidentally turned off the APU power before I connected the engine power on the bus and of course I lost my electrical power in the airplane. After that the PC froze and I had to restart FSX. I am not sure if that caused the issue, but somehow I vaguely remember that from that point on I was having issues. Can you please try the above steps and try to reproduce the issue. Perhaps I came across a special case that is not handled correctly in the software... or not. Anyway worth a try.

SINCE I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION ONE MORE QUESTION:

The physical throttle indication is not present on my PMDG installation, with the Auto Throttle ON (on my 'good', home PC with fresh reinstall).

This way I can't synchronize my physical (Saitek throttle) with the throttle in the sim. So after disconnecting the Auto-throttle when I move my physical throttle, the arc appears and I can sync the throttles, but the price I have to pay is that until the two throttles are synchronized, for a brief period of time there is a huge power surge or loss, depending on the relative position between the two throttles.

a) If the Saitek throttle was set higher than the sim's I get a surge

b) if the Saitek throttle was set lower than the sim's I get a decrease in engine power (which is usually NOT the case).

Anyway, this is happening at the worst possible  time, since the Auto-throttle is typically disconnected on short final and artificially instability is introduced at a time when the approach is supposed to be very stable. Of course this causes instability and gyrations on the approach.

Is this a setting in one of the config files someplace where you can turn this feature on and off or is this (yet another) problem with my installation?

I can state that the Saitek throttle works normal, except the magenta(?) arc is missing on the gauge.

Thanks for your support.

-Csaba Moldvai