Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

Much more realistic clouds for FS2K2...

Hey all,Have you noticed that you can get cloud density that rivals FS2004 in FS2K2? Maybe I'm the last weener to figure this out, but by by default, the FS2002.cfg entry for "cloud sprite density" is set to 1.00000 even with the slider all the way up. I got curious and set the value to 5.00000, and went flying. Holy cow! There's a whole lot more clouds out there! Now I always figured that 0.00000 is the minimum, and 1.00000 is the max. Apparently this is not true...I set the value as high as 50, and on my 3.06GHz, my frames dropped to about 7. Setting 20 yielded an incredible amount of clouds, but frames hovered around 15. Finally I set the value to 12, and I can get really detailed clouds, with a very minimal frame rate hit.With several layers of cumulus clouds at varying coverages, I get some really good looking skies.Unfortunately, the clouds still turn into a paper thin sheet as you climb away from them, but while the sprites are visible, it looks great. Try it out. Even a setting of 5.0000 increases realism dramatically.Best Regards,Nick

Hi, The value you are talking in the fs2002.cfg is the clouds density slider in the fs2k2 graphics option, it control the amount of the sprite (clouds), for cumulus and thunderstorm only. there is too much wrong implemented weather feature in fs2002, fs2k2 weather an`t compete with fs2004 at all, line in the horizons, clouds disappears to flat, streched clouds, clouds can`t reach high altitude, no far clouds, very limited clouds formation, 2d clouds, no dynamic weather etc etc.You don`t need to edit manually for the clouds and most of the fs2002.cfg values are almost all controled by the slider in fs2002 graphics option.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Chris,Of course you're right. It's obviously not the same as FS2004 clouds, but for the month we still have to wait for it, I think this is a good solution. I'll be the first one in line for FS2004, for no reason other than the new weather. But like I said, without any modification to FS2002, we CAN have a bit better representation.For instance, with the new setting of 12, I actually get blankets of puffy cumulus to fly over, instead of just one or two individual sprites. Again, not FS2004 material, but its better.Just wanted to share that...Later,Nick

Chris,When you refer to the percent setting, I assume you're refering to the actual slider in the FS2002 menu's. I have always had this at 100%. However, if I leave the slider at 100%, AND edit the FS2002.cfg line for cloud detail to read "=12.0000", then I get the better clouds.It seems like you're talking about only the setting withing FS, whereas I'm editing the .cfg file. Am I misunderstanding you?Later,Nick

Nick, The clouds slider density in fs2002 control the number value in the fs2002.cfg CLOUD_SPRITE_PERCENTAGE=, the number value at the CLOUD_SPRITE_PERCENTAGE can`t exceed 1.000000. Shut down fs2k2 and see again your CLOUD_SPRITE_PERCENTAGE value in the fs2002.cfg, it will be set at 1.000000 = (clouds density slider at 100% in fs2k2)Example:CLOUD_SPRITE_PERCENTAGE=1.000000 = clouds density in fs2k2 at 100%CLOUD_SPRITE_PERCENTAGE=0.650000 = clouds density in fs2k2 at 65%CLOUD_SPRITE_PERCENTAGE=0.550000 = clouds density in fs2k2 at 55%The only way to see difference in the clouds visual is to change in fs2002 weather option, the clouds formation, like cumulus scattered 3/8, 4/8 and the height etc.Ps: Most of the slider in fs2k2 control all value in fs2002.cfgThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Chris,"The clouds slider density in fs2002 control the number in the fs2002.cfg CLOUD_SPRITE_PERCENTAGE=, there is no way to exceed the number 1.000000."Yes, this is what I thought too. However, I invite you to try it out. Incease the value to say, 7 or 10. Go back into FS2002 (don't move the slider in the Display settings), and set a layer of clouds at 6/8ths coverage. I observe a HUGE difference in the number of cloud sprites.Does this not work for you? I have taken several screenshots of my results, since it was such a huge change. I'm at work now, but I'll try to post them tomorrow if you cannot reproduce my results.Also, in case it makes a difference, I'm using the stock FS2002 clouds. No texture packs or anythink like that.Curious,Nick

Hi Nick, Lol you are correct, it does change more in the fs2k2.cfg, but we should never touch the clouds slider density in fs2k2 graphics option. But I found a problem with this, the cloud formation are all false now if you exceed the number of 3.000000, the clouds formation 1/8 to 8/8 appears almost all the same now. I have set to 7.000000, I add cumulus few 1/2 and they appears like scattered 4/8 or broken, there is too much clouds now according to the formation, maybe this is why Ms leave this to (1.000000) (%100) for more accurate formation setting depend on the formation.I have set this to 50.000000 and my frame rate drop to 7 fps with my p4 2.5 GHZ, 533 fsb, 512 ram,gforce4 128mb.Thanks for your hint! ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I get your point Nick. I think that this is a great find. I have tried the setting you shared with us and WOW! what a difference. I could never get those kind of clouds with the sliders maxed. Thanks to this great find I will enjoy the few remaining weeks of FS2k2. Everyone should really give this a shot. It's amazing as Nick states.Regards,Ken

Hey Ken,Glad its working for you. Cool, huh? It's too bad I didn't find this out until a few weeks before FS2004 comes out. Then again, I'm sure someone else has stumbled upon this before, and I just didn't know about it.For Chris,Yeah, it does change the coverages a bit. But I find that now, when I specify 6/8ths, by goodness, about 6/8ths of the sky is obsured now. Before, setting 6/8ths resulted in mostly clear skies after I flew through the initial lines of clouds in front of me. Not anymore! ;)Perhaps experimenting with lower numbers (between 2 and 10) may yield better results. I haven't played with it too much. You'd probably much more adept to tweak it than I would. Best Regards,Nick

Hi Nick, I found lower then 3.000000 is acceptable for all situation, but more the value higher, is good for the broken formation..but still the far clouds is missing..Here shots cumulus few 1/8 , with 7.000000 in the fs2002.cfg, they appears like scattered 4/8 and in dense circle formation.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18621.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/18622.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Chris,Yeah, the rings are a bit wierd, but once you fly through (or past) the rings, things seem to settle down a bit, right? By that I mean, the clouds no longer encircle your position, and as you fly, you'll run into true scattered (or broken) clouds.One thing I notice that helps make it a bit more realistic, is to set the visibility to 20 mi or less. That way, the clouds seem to disappear into the haze. Do you concur?Also, results vary based on cloud thickness too. I set a base of cumulus clouds from 4000 to 7000ft at 5/8ths, then a layer of stratus from 7500 to 9000 at 3/8ths. The result was very convincing, especially when in between layers.Fun stuff,Nick

Hi, "That way, the clouds seem to disappear into the haze. Do you concur?"Yes it appears better, less cercle effect.But in other situation, the rendered clouds is created in circle, the effect is more noticable if you increase the value in the fs2k2.cfg because they are more dense."""Also, results vary based on cloud thickness too. I set a base of cumulus clouds from 4000 to 7000ft at 5/8ths, then a layer of stratus from 7500 to 9000 at 3/8ths. The result was very convincing, especially when in between layers"""You get most of the great clouds visual in msfs by setting two layer and you fly between them, even with the default setting is great, increasing the value more in the fs2002,cfg, will be even better (more sprite clouds). ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest hma

Bump: much too fast dissapeared in the FS2004 hype.Try it ! I did it with Chris Willis "light" clouds designs with amazing results ! (value on 5.000000)hm