Sign in to follow this  
Guest kilo_sierra17

What is FS2002 trying to tell Microsoft?

Hi all,Having reinstalled FS2002 on my new PC a few days ago and at the same time re-installing McAfee Viruscan and Firewall, I was surprised to notice MSFS trying to contact a resource on the Internet when first started just after the Splash screen starts up.Anyone have any ideas what it is trying to do? Is is the real weather or multiplayer servers that are being hailed?Edit: I have disallowed the attempt each time and MSFS starts OK each time after that.Interested in your comments,Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Pentium IV 3.0GHz (800FSB) Socket 478 pins CPU w/Hyper-Thread Technology MSI 875P NEO FIS2R, AGP 8X, i875P ICH5R Chipset with Gigiabit LanKingmax 512MB PC3200 Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM CAS-2.5- 400MHz Rated x 2BUILT By ATI (Original) Radeon 9800PRO w/TV Out & DVI 128Meg DDRTEAC DV-W50E, 4x DVD-R/ 2x RW, 16xCD-R, 8xCD-RW, 16xDVD, 32x CD-ROM Internal Drive Only Western Digital Raptor 36.0GB HDD IDE, 8MB Cache, 5.2ms, 10,000rpm , S-ATA, w/DataLifeguard WD 40Gig HD for dataATX 470W Pentium IV Power Supply CESkyhawk Jupiter Aluminum CaseHyundai -ImageQuest P910 , 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby

I loaded up a packet sniffer, then started FS2002. I don't see any traffic when I it starts.

Same here (with Zonealarm)Could it be that it tries to detect/download a new version of FS ??Lets see what happens if FS2004 is released :-) :-)Rob

Online registration? Just a guess.Wolfgang

Guest matsberg

It might be a module or a gauge.

I get this when I try to open a multiplayer, but no more since I got NPFW2003

"Same here (with Zonealarm)Could it be that it tries to detect/download a new version ofFS ??Lets see what happens if FS2004 is released :-) :-)Rob"Guess they gave FSD FS automatic update rights!;-) LOLRegards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Philip Olson

Normally the only time that it should try to contact anyone is when you try to download the weather or connect to multiplayer. As someone else mentioned it could be trying to register if you just re-installed. There was a time though that a plane that I downloaded had a gauge that tried to connect while loading, I deleted that plane from my hard drive immediately as I did not see any reason that any gauge from that panel had need to connect to anything. I wish that I could be of more help but unless it is trying to register I do not think that it should be trying to connect to the internet.Philip

The only thing I can think of is you have some addon installed that's doing it. The packet sniffer will show all packets going through my network. Perhaps FS is just trying to determine the presence of a network connection and your firewall is thinking it is trying to access the internet.Download it and see for yourself what it's trying to contact.http://www.networkactiv.com/PIAFCTM.html

Guest kilo_sierra17

That happened to me, it says that because if you download real world weather, it has to go on the internet and access it so it's nothing to be worried about.