Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Memory error and shutdown in FS2002

Some days ago, I noticed that just about the time I am beginning to turn on final for landing, that FS2002 goes into the pause mode by itself. I have been simply pressing "P" and continuing my approach.Today, as I turned on final, Runway 19R at SimFlyers KIAD, I get an error window which tells me: "Your computer has run out of memory." I check ok and FS2002 shuts down.On startup, I am reading "524288K OK". In the Windows Task Manager, I always have available memory.Upon futher examination, I am finding out that my problem seems to appear at some of the places I am approaching which have intense scenery, and not at others. Examples of such locations are SimFlyers airports like KIAD and KJFK. I tried the default KJFK, and the same thing happened. However, at SimFlyers KATL which certainly is more intense than any default airport, I got no error. I get the impression that it is getting worse, but really have not given it enough time to tell for sure.Specs:1.2G AMD512MB DDR SDRAM PC2100 MemoryASUS 8460 4600ti Graphics44.03 Detonator DriverDirectX9.0XPProI have flown FS with everything loaded for a long time and never seen this problem. Now, with everything diseabled at startup in msconfig, I get this error, so I don't think that it is too much stuff running in the background. The case has not been opened so no new hardware. The only thing I have recently added is the mbm5330 Motherboard Monitor, but everything ran fine for a while after that. It still happens with it disabled anyway.This is a dandy opportunity for an upgrade, but a pretty sick excuse too.Any ideas?Thanks:RTH

More likely you have a mismatched dll--perhaps in your modules or your FS2002 root folder. I am certain FS2002 thinks you're out of memory for this reason--I had this error once when I was playing with FS2000 several years ago, swapping out dll's among the various bug fixes. All of a sudden, I couldn't even load it up.Check your modules folder for any dll's with dates that aren't in the same general range (6/01-10/01) as those that shipped with FS2002. You may need to rename them, fire up FS2002, and see if one is introducing the error. It's time consuming, but perhaps the only way. Also, make sure the Simflyers scenery doesn't require a dll to load. Since it's shareware (I believe), they may enforce this through a dll, which may have undergone an update. Good luck to ya! You'll get it worked out...-John

Guest Tim W

HiI have always recieved those "out of memory" messages in the Simflyers KIAD, KLAX and KDFW sceneriesI was at the time running Win 98SE with 512 mb RAM. I have just installed Win XP and now have 1gb of ram but havent re-installed them yet. I will soon to see if the problem has been resolved.RegardsTim

Guest A321

Just a hunch, but have you got "pause on task swith" on in the settings. I know your not Task changing, but something could be causing the FS window to be losing focus, even if it happens for a second, you will get the pause, Maybe a key your pressing, that caues fs to lose focus. If "pause on task swith" is switched on try turning it off, and see if it happens, Try it even if you think its not the cause, you could be suprised.Hope this helpsJason

Guest freequest

I know this sounds pretty simple but... have you tred a defrag of your drive?..Its been a while since i have used any of the older versions of windows but one of the most commen problems causeing memory errors is a lack of defraging... i know with win98 its best to do it once a week.

A wee update:John: I tried removing all dll's in both the module and main folders which did not have the same modification dates. No luck, the problem remained.Tim: KIAD and KJFK are the only ones which have given me trouble so far. KATL and even KLAS still loaded without any problem. Everything except KJFK which is relatively recent have worked fine for weeks. Since it came out a few days ago, KJFK worked fine until yesterday. For what it is worth, these airports (only KIAD and KJFK) leave the default selections as a selection option. All the other SimFlight airports apparantly overwrite them.Jasen: I am not getting the pause problem at the moment, but sure will try your suggestion.Ben: I automatically by time schedule defrag and check for viruses every week. Irony of Irony, this occured in the wee hours of yesterday, the day in question.Now, results:Last night I restored to an earlier time. Uninstalled SimFlyers KIAD and KJFK. The problem went away. I reversed my restoration to an earlier time, and the problem was back. Installed KIAD and KJFK again, problem still there. Gave up and went to bed.One question on XP restoration to earlier times. I have never figured out the criteria for what will work and what will not. My experience is that after it goes through the routine, and reboots, some restoration points (including the automatic checkpoints) are not accepted and some are. This morning, I again uninstalled SF KIAD and KJFK. Problem gone. Reinstalled both, and the problem is still gone (so far at least). The pause I mentioned in my original post approaching final also seems gone. I have repeatedly been able to repeat my approach where this problem first raised its head thanks to Peter D's Autosave program. I left FS2002 on line as I reinstalled.Well so much for that idea. Just cranked up FS2002 again, and the problem is back. Seems that it will tease me by working ok if you remove the airports in question, and replace them while FS is alive in the background. AFter shutting down FS and restarting, the problem returns.One other odd thing: My fuel status gauge in all birds now reads: "--INOP--".I was hopeing to hang on by my fingernails until FS2004 came out, and then go through more extensive updateing and reinstallation. I may have to be an early bird with some of this before it arrives.Thanks for the help.RTH