Sign in to follow this  
1FLIGHTSIMFANATIC

Dear PMDG, please seriously consider this.

The United States Military is still the United States Military. Their response to "please share with us your performance figures" back in 2009 is the same response here in 2014.

...this is the same United States Military who politely informed me that I should only take pictures only in a single direction with my 100% manual (read as too old to time stamp images) so as to avoid being able to discern alert reaction times, if they were to go on alert while I was taking pictures.

I recall this issue being mentioned by the team in another thread. Military is out because there's no data to get.

Yeah, i'm Air Force Security Forces (MP). We don't like pictures of our alert aircraft.

However, these are cargo aircraft.

Please forgive my ignorance on the next question, but what exactly do they need from Boeing performance figure wise that is not available anywhere else on the internet?

There's really nothing classified on the C17 or the C5 any more except maybe the countermeasure system, and that can be completely simulated or ignored as there is no threat in FSX.

It would be cool if they programmed in the occasional lock or laser point while on final, but for the most part a C-17 is just an extremely capable, agile, and powerful cargo jet.

Please forgive my ignorance on the next question, but what exactly do they need from Boeing performance figure wise that is not available anywhere else on the internet?

The data you need to accurately model an aircraft isn't the trash (harsh word, but true) that you find online.  You need more than all of those very basic max range, max speed and all of those values.

We're talking performance tables (cruise, takeoff, landing) and other items.  I guarantee you won't find any of that online.

There's really nothing classified on the C17 or the C5 any more

It not being classified doesn't mean that Boeing and the military will share it (more Boeing than the mil, because the mil might give in to a FOIA request, but even then, I highly doubt it).  For reference, Boeing is extremely protective of its old MD data.  The MD-11 from PMDG met some difficulty with the sim crowd because it was tough for anyone to make fuel planners and takeoff calculators without data, and Boeing wasn't going to hand it over.  Add the fact that the C-17's customer is the US Mil, and I can nearly guarantee they won't budge on giving anyone data outside the mil realm.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want it.  I'm saying it's not going to happen in my opinion.

Kyle Rodgers

Don't forget, other nations use the C-17, such as the RAF, India, Qatar, Canada, UAE, so I don't think the United States DoD is too wary of performance figures getting out, since they're already out. That being said, PMDG aren't going to do it, but if you wanted to assemble a group of programmers and had some free evenings...

Inactive

The data you need to accurately model an aircraft isn't the trash (harsh word, but true) that you find online. You need more than all of those very basic max range, max speed and all of those values.

We're talking performance tables (cruise, takeoff, landing) and other items. I guarantee you won't find any of that online.

It not being classified doesn't mean that Boeing and the military will share it (more Boeing than the mil, because the mil might give in to a FOIA request, but even then, I highly doubt it). For reference, Boeing is extremely protective of its old MD data. The MD-11 from PMDG met some difficulty with the sim crowd because it was tough for anyone to make fuel planners and takeoff calculators without data, and Boeing wasn't going to hand it over. Add the fact that the C-17's customer is the US Mil, and I can nearly guarantee they won't budge on giving anyone data outside the mil realm.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want it. I'm saying it's not going to happen in my opinion.

Good answers on both.

Still, i'm just hoping that someone, preferably the masters at PMDG, make a big heavy cargo aircraft.

If the DOD is still being stingy, I could always go for an An-225/124.

Don't forget, other nations use the C-17, such as the RAF, India, Qatar, Canada, UAE, so I don't think the United States DoD is too wary of performance figures getting out, since they're already out.

Not entirely true.  Other countries using the aircraft does not mean the data is "out there."  The DoD has sent our aircraft abroad for decades.  The F-15 and F-16 are used by foreign operators as well.  Good luck getting the actual data...

If the DOD is still being stingy, I could always go for an An-225/124.

Even less of a chance.  Russia isn't known for being very forthcoming, either.  Additionally, to keep the authenticity, I think it would have to have a Cyrillic panel.  I know some Russian, but only based on repeating words from my old friends.  I have no idea how to read it.

Sure, they could include an option for an English panel, but I don't think it's worth the investment of time for only a handfull of sales.

Kyle Rodgers

Not entirely true. Other countries using the aircraft does not mean the data is "out there." The DoD has sent our aircraft abroad for decades. The F-15 and F-16 are used by foreign operators as well. Good luck getting the actual data...

Even less of a chance. Russia isn't known for being very forthcoming, either. Additionally, to keep the authenticity, I think it would have to have a Cyrillic panel. I know some Russian, but only based on repeating words from my old friends. I have no idea how to read it.

Sure, they could include an option for an English panel, but I don't think it's worth the investment of time for only a handfull of sales.

Again, that's what the hope is for. For the tiny sliver of a chance that it does happen. Because I would be the happiest person ever and buy it day one.

I'm also realistic though, and know it probably won't. But, it's better to try and let my wishes be known than sit silent and have them never fulfilled.

Guys - enough. We are not making a C-(insert number here). Kyle and others have provided plenty of reasons above. You all vastly overestimate the market for this stuff too - just because there's a few posts on our forum asking for it doesn't mean we'd ever recoup our costs in developing one. This would be every bit as complex as one of our airliner products and I'll guarantee you there are less people out there who will buy this than there are people who will buy a simulation of the 737 or 777 they can go fly on all the time as a real world passenger - just a fact. This isn't a fighter jet ala DCS A-10C or something - it hauls cargo - that's boring to most people, regardless of how cool the airplane's capabilities are.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan, the 777F hauls cargo too! B)

Yes, but PMDG are not relying solely on 777F sales as they would be with something like a C-17 Globemaster.

Actually I am pretty sure I could get hold of Qatar's C-17 data including sim access.  It's a shame that the sim market is so small that most high end devs focus on the same old tubeliners.  

I would quite happily spend the rest of my simming day's flying a C5 Galaxy :)

Rob Prest

Actually I am pretty sure I could get hold of Qatar's C-17 data including sim access.  It's a shame that the sim market is so small that most high end devs focus on the same old tubeliners.  

Don't quote me on this, but I think that in the end, it all comes down to the original license holder.  I'm sure you could get the data from Qatar, but they cannot authorize the use of the data for commercial use by themselves.  That would have to come from Boeing.

I do agree, though, that the developer effort overlap in the community is rather disappointing.

Kyle Rodgers

Michael-I'm sorry to have to tell you that PMDG has no plans for anything such as a C-17. Military aircraft are a bit out of our realm...Thanks for asking, however!

Okay Robert, but how about a beautiful classic 747 or even better, an SP?   Wouldn't that be awesome :ph34r: .

Just kidding!

Kind regards

Ryan, the 777F hauls cargo too! B)

As does the Boeing 747-400F. Only difference being in the case of the 777 and the 747-400, there exists both a passenger and a freighter variant.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.