Sign in to follow this  
Guest H_Kev55

Big FS04 screenie flood posted in PAI

Guest Paul_W

Thanks for posting those shots. The sim has come a long way.One thing I'd really like to see improved via an add-on, or in the next version, is the depiction of country areas: the fields of south-east England really need to be upgraded to a much brighter shade of green. In reality that landscape appears much more verdant from the air.

Guest Paul_W

I know what you mean, but in the same interview referred to above the manager frankly admitted they can't get to all the suggested improvements in the next version, and I appreciate his candor. As I read it he was basically saying that FS is an ongoing development, and eventually they'll get to all of it, which sounds perfectly natural to me. Still, when something could probably be fixed without too much trouble, and it isn't, then I guess that's where the frustration comes in. On the other hand just about every thread about the improvements users would you like to see in FS 2004 included requests for a new weather system, and clearly MS listened and responded, so that worked out quite well. Personally I'm a real optimist when it comes to the subject of positive or constructive negative feedback, but it just seems that there are lots of people who are really uncomfortable with that and don't want to hear it.

You speak with a very level headed approach. I too got the same feeling after reading that article. Personally I feel there are 2 big differences between 02 and 04 which are weather(includes lighting) and the GPS having a few minnor differences like taxiway signs, Clickable VC's and the learning center. Dont get me wrong there are many new or improved features to rave about and I welcome the new sim with great intentions but when looked at quickly having the two running on computers side by side I think those are going to be the things most remembered about the next version. So I wonder what we as a community will speaks as a voice on and what will be heard for the next version as the new main changes and the notable minnors. In the same article it was also said that the FS team starts work on the next sim only weeks after the release. I feel that for me its going to Ground Lighting effects and ATC as the main features and regional auto-gen, flight and a/c characteristics improved. Looking at what 04 will offer with its auto gen, taxiway signs, AI, ATC, VC's and new weather-with the exceptiong of better eye candy its going to be very interesting what will make the sim to follow a must buy unless its a whole new collection of new detailed features and huge improvements in what we have to create a more realistic sim. Thats where I feel ATC will be to involve holds, STAR's, DP,s and main otheraspects of real controllers like FSS and Unicom for ordering gas etc. And as far as lighting MS did a great job in the way the runway lights get more and brighter as you close in on the field in 02 but they need to create more realistic night lighting like on clear nights not wasting tax payers dollars on having the field lights so bright (i.e. two sets of fields lights dim and bright) and not having the rabbit lights on. Create pilot controlled lighting and actually making the green and white beacon the first thing to look for when approaching the field because its is like a strobe once you turn up the city lights so that they are twice as bright as the filed lights. Having those few light effects would create a whole new night enviroment. Below is my top ten request that I sent to MS for the sim to follow CoF.10) Wake turbulence.9) When a VFR flight Plan is filed (using the flight planner) allow for the ability to open and close your flight plan on a FSS freq. 8) The rotating beacon (white and green) to be more of a strobe look. Does not really need to be a moving part as long as it is more of a strobe.7) ADF and VOR needles to be more realistic and free spin and bounce at times when not receiving a strong signal.6) VASI and Rabbit lights to be way dimmer in the VC cockpit and only on when vis is low. Not always on at night time.5) City light to be much brighter and varied in brightness. 4) Allow for separate volume controls for comm. 1 and 2 radios.3) Have a marshaller at the spot where the Ground controller instructs you to taxi to park providing hand signals.2) Bring back the static when at the fringes of receiving a transmission signal like how we had ATIS in FS2000.1) Pilot controlled lighting. At fields where this is offered have an option on the ATC prompt to

Guest H_Kev55

"They listen to the feedback they want to listen to" was the statement.I'm going to take issue with this because in my experience in this beta that is simply not true.ProjectAI was asked to participate to give feedback regarding AI. The MS team looked into every single question and comment that we made. and we made a lot of them.Yes, there were many that did not make it into the sim, but they told us immediately why. But,conversely, they did implement many ideas that we gave them.So, to say that the MS team has selective hearing is an absurd statement made by someone who apparently has never worked with these guys.KJhttp://fsgateway.com/frank/fs9paibeta.jpg

Not sure what it is about those picts....but now I don't seem so eager to buy this software. The new planner and maps are nice, but the graphics look same old, same old. Some of those aircraft in the background look awful. I hope that they are not default AI aircraft. Hmmmm, I wonder now...I guess I will have to see it before I buy it.

The buildings in those screen shots look very British and are a definite improvement over past ones.

"It's not going to run that well on my system"Gavin...When I installed FS2002, I was afraid the it wouldn't run as well as FS2000. After all, even then my system was a bit dated. But I made up my mind to compare my settings, and match FS2002 to those settings. Try to approach FS2004 in the same way. For starters, start with clear skies, and make it "like" FS2002. I am sure this approach will work for FS2004--why wouldn't it?Also, when you see some of the cloud shots showing lowly fps on 3+ Gig machines, don't fret too much. My performance in FS2002 really suffers if I add thick cloud layers, and some of the press shots really go to town on the cloud layers. In FS2002 I can get beautiful sky and performance if I keep the layers thin--so I never set up a layer in FS2002 that is more than 1000 ft. thick. So many of the FS2004 press shots I've seen show cloud layers that would choke FS2002 on my system if I set up such layers using 2002's 2-d clouds. I'm going into FS2004 with an open mind..... In the meantime, I'm flying the heck out of FS2002 on my once proud, now slow P3/800.... -John

I'm buying it strickly for the fact of these features in this order:1) Taxiway signs at airfields.2) Uncontrolled airfields now have traffic.3) New weather and lighting effects.4) Clickable VC's.5) ATC is slightly more improved.I enjoy flying VFR in small singles (172 and now probably with the Mooney having a VC it as well). I will consider CoF still a VFR sim even with its new weather engine due to reviews on the ATC being slightly improved but yet fall short of what ATC could be. I can not stand how the ATC calls traffic during IMC, when traffic is completely not a factor or when its almost to late like when the AI a/c is coming right at you. Until ATC will provide seperation, holds to provide seperation, speed restrictions to provide seperation, STAR's and DP's, not allow all a/c to recieve flight following during controller over loads, not make so many traffic calls of a/c thats not a factor, not having traffic calls during IMC or not as much for a/c flying IFR, Now that all a/c will pick up IFR in flight once its no longer V-ATC will need to be reworked to handle all the traffic or implement ground stops or AI just programed that if its IFR and they are labeled as a VFR flight that the flight is scratched, then there is no way that I could enjoy an IFR flight knowing that I have to aviod AI that I cant see and do my own ATC to aviod collision. I am very happy with the fact that there have been improvements to the ATC like steep up climbs, ability to change cruise alt, can request all published approaches, can request alternate runways but when I'm cleared to land as #3 then I want to know that I'm not going to get mowed over by the plane thats #4 to land and that planes #1 and #2 will have enough time and distance to land and clear the active before I need to start a go around. All ATC is good for now is to keep planes from hitting each other during take off but once your in the air your on your own.I've come to feeling that I will trade eye candy for frame rates even though I have a fairly fast computer. What I am mosty looking for now is flying from A to B and having the feeling that AI planes are there to not make me feel alone like it was in FS2000 and prior, Auto-gen lets me know that in the event of an egine failure (using FSFailure) that I need to keep in mind of where I could land once airbourne, the a/c handles very close to the real plane and weather and other outside conditions effect the plane, weather is there to both give a visual awe and make me think of how it will effect my flight, the artifical world looks like what my charts do, ATC helps in keeping me from hitting both AI and auto gen objects with realistic controlling and once on the ground taxiway signs are marked to get me around. Thats all I'm really loking for. No high tech FMC, GPS or details to the last bagage cart airports. So as you can see its just ATC for the most part shy of a/c handling that MS has made where it is close to as real as it gets.Kilstorm

>But,conversely, they did>implement many ideas that we gave them.>So, to say that the MS team has selective hearing But how about fixing the rolling friction and poorly working glideslope in FS2002 ? Surely these were the two most outstanding, most talked about *bugs* that were known for years. If MS chose to ignore them - I am not sure about the selective hearing accustation - but incompetence would be a better word perhaps.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest GiZBUG

By looking at those pics, is it safe to assume PAI and their planes work in the new FS2004?Where did those planes (British Airways, etc) come from?

Guest GiZBUG

Ultimate Traffic uses FSUIPC, and from what I've heard, that version wont run on the new sim. And Peter hasnt released a new FS2004 version yet (probably in about a month or two)