Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Alienware?

Guest Bigshot

I have an Alienware too. Pricey? No, absolutely not. The components are the best around. Go on over to newegg and price out the same components. Then add shipping for each component. Go on over to Alienware and price out a complete system. Shipping is usually free. Not much difference. Mine was less than $400 difference. Well worth it just to know that when I opened the box and hooked everything up that it was gonna work great. It did. No headaches. No hardware conflicts. System was optimized for gaming. One year warranty on parts and labor onsite. Hard to beat that!

Hi. Thanks. Sounds like a winner. I don't mind the $$$ if it is as good as all say. Best regards, Bob.

A buddy and I built an Area 51 (same exact specs as the Area 51 model) for a buddy and spent $1500 less then what Alienware was charging.They make great computers, that's for sure...but man are they over-priced!!!

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

>I have an Alienware too. Pricey? No, absolutely not. The>components are the best around. Go on over to newegg and>price out the same components. Then add shipping for each>component. Go on over to Alienware and price out a complete>system. Shipping is usually free. Not much difference. Mine>was less than $400 difference. Well worth it just to know>that when I opened the box and hooked everything up that it>was gonna work great. It did. No headaches. No hardware>conflicts. System was optimized for gaming. One year warranty>on parts and labor onsite. Hard to beat that!I purchased everything except my case from Newegg. I priced comparable Dell, and Ailenware systems, and what I built was $1200 less than the Dell (the Ailenware was more). Total shipping cost from Newegg was $38 for next day air.I bought all retail boxed hardware too, none of that brown box OEM stuff. Everything except the CD-RW and DVD-ROM have three year warranties.

Guest ba747heavy

>All,>>I have an Area 51, P4 3.06. Great machine. >>I would disagree with people's comments on priceness->expensive yes, but if you add up the street prices of all the>name brand bits and pieces, plus even a small allowance for>your own time gathering them up and puttin them together, the>price is actually cheaper than doing it yourself. >>Aside from poor customer service, I'd highly recommend buying>from them unless you get some personal value / satisfaction>from the do-it-yourself process.>>Best,>>JoelI disgree with you Joel. It would be more expensive going the way of Alienware. I priced one of there high end systems yesterday. It would cost me almost $3000 for a box I am 99% sure that I could put together for less. And I do get satisfaction from the do-it-yourself sytle of business =)

Guest Bigshot

Just priced a great Area 51 gaming machine. You don't need to spend $3000 either. Shipping is free! About the same price that I paid for my PIV2.53 9700 Pro system that I bought a year ago from Alienware.[1] Area-51

Guest Bigshot

Same system from Newegg:Item price Quantity Total Price ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply ATX12V Retail Specifications: Case type: SOHO File Server Case Color: Antec Metalic Gray Case Dimensions: 20.6" x 8.1" x 18.6" (H/W/D) Drive bays: 10 Front accesible 4x 5.25, 2x 3.5" Internal 4x 3.5" Expansion Slots: 3 Short 4 Full Length 2 Rear Standard Fans 1 Side fan Washable Air Filter in front $119.99 1 $119.99 Intel Pentium 4 (800 FSB) Motherboard Model D875PBZLK Retail Specifications: CPU:Supports Intel Pentium 4 processor with a 533/800MHz (mPGA478-pin)Supports Hyper-threading Chipset: Intel 875P IDE:2x IDE with Ultra DMA 33 and ATA-66/100 support RAM:2x 184-pin DIMM connect, Double Data Rate DDR266/DDR333/DDR400 support Slots:1 x AGP 8X, and 5 x PCI Ports:2xPS2, 4x USB, (see pics) Onboard SATA:2 Onboard LAN: Gigabit 10/100/1000 Intregrated $157.00 1 $157.00 ATI SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP RETAIL Chipset:ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Memory:128MB DDR RAM Bus:AGP 8X 256-bit memory interface 8-pipeline architecture doubles the rendering power of other graphics processors Supports the latest Microsoft

Hi Bob,I agree with the people here who say the Alienware systems are rather expensive, and I would also recommending building your own (if you know what a screwdriver is and how it works, you're already halfway there :)).However, if you don't mind paying the premium for the convenience of having it delivered ready to go, there is a huge advantage for going with Alienware, rather than any of the other manufacturers, such as Dell - Alienware does not use proprietary parts, i.e. their systems are fully upgradeable. So you could use the Alienware rig as the basis for a future home-built machine - for example in two years time, the only parts of the original computer you're still using may be the case and floppy drive... Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I fully agree. I would pick Alienware 10 times over Dell.But the first choice is to have Alienware-like machine built locally or by a small reputable vendor. You won't get the futuristic looking case but everything else (including performance, warranty) will be identical and for less.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest edrutl

Bob,If you're not crazy about building a system from scratch, but still want a good deal on a system, look at getting a barebones system. You can get a case, mobo, cpu, memory mounted for a good price, then install your hd, graphics card, etc.One outfit I've had good luck with in the past is www.accessmicro.com. You can build a system with as many or as few components as you'd like. You can pick the exact specs you want.Ed

Guest DanWalloch

You can build a pc that is just as good for $1500-2000 less than what they'll charge you.

>I fully agree. I would pick Alienware 10 times over Dell.>>But the first choice is to have Alienware-like machine built>locally or by a small reputable vendor. You won't get the>futuristic looking case but everything else (including>performance, warranty) will be identical and for less.I saw a Medion with exactly the same specs as one of the Alienware 'puters at Best Buy last week.Medion - $749Alienware - $1850Which one do you suppose I bought? :)I really don't think the name and 'fancy case' are worth $1000+, IMHO.BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg