Sign in to follow this  
Carabou

A2A and FSADDON Piper Cub

Hi Folks - looks like we have another interesting Cub to add to the payware stable. I'd like to get one but I'm concerned about performance on my older computer. Specs as follows: AMD 4200 2X64, Nvidia 6800gt 256 mb, WinXp, 2 gig ram, loads of hd. My system works very well with the Orbx FTX scenery of Australia and fairly well with default FSX. The only FSX payware aircraft I have is the Caribou and it works well. I was wonder if anyone could give me a clue as to how either the A2A or FSADDION cub might perform on my system.Thanks Howard

Guest Mesa
Hi Folks - looks like we have another interesting Cub to add to the payware stable. I'd like to get one but I'm concerned about performance on my older computer. Specs as follows: AMD 4200 2X64, Nvidia 6800gt 256 mb, WinXp, 2 gig ram, loads of hd. My system works very well with the Orbx FTX scenery of Australia and fairly well with default FSX. The only FSX payware aircraft I have is the Caribou and it works well. I was wonder if anyone could give me a clue as to how either the A2A or FSADDION cub might perform on my system.Thanks Howard
Howard I would implore you to get the A2A Cub. I honestly believe that in years to come payware addon aircraft will be viewed in terms of Pre-Cub and Post-Cub - it's that revolutionary - the closest you will get to feeling what it is like to fly the real thing. The flight characteristics are mind blowing - and you will open the door and almost swear you can feel the cold breeze on your face. Spend a little more and get the Cub and Accusim and you will love every second I promise. Between that and the L-39 I have flown nothing else and even uninstalled some of the junk I should never have bought and will now never fly again. As for the FSAddon Supercub - I can't say you would regret it because someone will doubtless disagree immediately and accuse me of being negative but if you do buy it then don't ever get the A2A Cub as you will kick yourself so hard you'll break both your own legs. If you really want to get a Supercub then maybe you should wait for the Flight Replicas version which must be coming soon I beleive and will probably be better. And yes, I can see no reason why either wouldn't run well enough on your system. For god's sake though get this one - http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index....;products_id=36 (and don't forget to get Accusim as well) and then report back in a month or two when you take a break from flying it all day every day. Do a search on YouTube for videos of it first if you don't believe me!

Guest DeskPilot

A2A at this point has not ruled out releasing enhancements that could include bigger displacement engines than what was found in the J-3. I have no idea what possessed me to buy a seventy five mile an hour payware plane with no avionics, but now that I have it I absolutely love it.Donald

Howard I would implore you to get the A2A Cub. I honestly believe that in years to come payware addon aircraft will be viewed in terms of Pre-Cub and Post-Cub - it's that revolutionary - the closest you will get to feeling what it is like to fly the real thing. The flight characteristics are mind blowing - and you will open the door and almost swear you can feel the cold breeze on your face. Spend a little more and get the Cub and Accusim and you will love every second I promise. Between that and the L-39 I have flown nothing else and even uninstalled some of the junk I should never have bought and will now never fly again. As for the FSAddon Supercub - I can't say you would regret it because someone will doubtless disagree immediately and accuse me of being negative but if you do buy it then don't ever get the A2A Cub as you will kick yourself so hard you'll break both your own legs. If you really want to get a Supercub then maybe you should wait for the Flight Replicas version which must be coming soon I beleive and will probably be better. And yes, I can see no reason why either wouldn't run well enough on your system. For god's sake though get this one - http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index....;products_id=36 (and don't forget to get Accusim as well) and then report back in a month or two when you take a break from flying it all day every day. Do a search on YouTube for videos of it first if you don't believe me!

Guest Zorg_DK

Fun with hills: Find a hill and land there. Cut the engine and turn back on the magnetos. Push the plane (with the new cool push feature in 1.1) down the hillside and take off gliding and do an air-restart. Fun as hell :D (inspired by a great video review, forgot the author's name).

Guest Mesa
Fun with hills: Find a hill and land there. Cut the engine and turn back on the magnetos. Push the plane (with the new cool push feature in 1.1) down the hillside and take off gliding and do an air-restart. Fun as hell :D (inspired by a great video review, forgot the author's name).

Many thanks folks for the enthusiastic and helpful replies - I may be joining you soon with my own A2A cub. HAve a good one. Howard

I bought the A2A cub nearly a month ago now, and probably have about 20 hours (real time) in it. It truly is an amazing simulation of a small yellow aircraft.Does anyone have the FSADDON Super Cub and the A2A Cub? I would be very interested to hear what you think about the Super Cub by FSAddon.

Guest Zorg_DK

You asked about performance, Howard. Here's my opinion. The performance is fine. I used to resize all the Cub textures to 1024, which gives a big performance increase (for me - as we know, every system is different). But I eventually I thought the textures were too blurry, so instead now I only resize the exterior texture from 4096 to 2048, that helps while the visual difference is minimal.

Zorg, Can you explain how you you did this, ie what programs you used and what you back-up. I would like to try this to improve my cubs performance.Thanks

Guest Zorg_DK
Zorg, Can you explain how you you did this, ie what programs you used and what you back-up. I would like to try this to improve my cubs performance.Thanks
Sure. I use DXTbmp to open the .dds file. Then press image -> send to editor. Then Paint.net automaticly opens (that's my current image editor). In there I resize it and close and save. Back in DXT I press image -> reload after edit.

Guest Zorg_DK

I just made a video of an air start from a hill:

I purchased FSAddons super cub X today,and as of right now i prefer it to the A2A Piper Cub,as i have it also.I like the added hp,plus it has landing lights and flaps,and a amphib model.Adam

HP Omen Obelisk Gaming Computer, Intel Core i7-9700, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 System Memory 4.7GHz 8 cores, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Graphics with 8GB GDDR6 memory, PSU 750 watts, 1TB hard drive, Samsung T7 2TB SSD, 512 GB SSD, WD 5TB HDD,  Logitech HOTAS X52 Pro Joystick, AOC 27" monitor,

Guest Mesa
I just made a video of an air start from a hill:
That's a terrific video! I haven't managed to be able to hold myself on the side of a hill with just the brakes yet. Either I'm too level and would need to get out and push to get started down the hill or the hill is too steep and I just keep rolling! This is going to take some practice. Where is that scenery?

Guest Zorg_DK
That's a terrific video! I haven't managed to be able to hold myself on the side of a hill with just the brakes yet. Either I'm too level and would need to get out and push to get started down the hill or the hill is too steep and I just keep rolling! This is going to take some practice. Where is that scenery?
Thanks!