Sign in to follow this  

Frame Rates question for FS2002....

When I toggle the sound on and off in FS2002 my frame rates change significantly. I lose about 5-10 fps with the sound on. Is this normal or do I have a glitch? Also, what are considered to be good frame rates? On average in a heavily detailed area I get around 18-24fps, with the sliders up and 65% AI. Thanks in advance, Rich.Pentium 4 2.53512mb ramGeforce4 Ti-4200

Hi Rich,if you're using onboard sound, the sound will be processed by the CPU, taking up valuable resources. The only way to solve this, is to spend some money and buy a sound card :). Frame rates depend on a lot of factors, most of which are unique to the individual computer setup. It's not only the CPU speed, graphics card and RAM, but also the motherboard, hard drive and available space on it, installed software, running processes, FS, graphics and sound card settings - even the power supply can have a slight impact.But as a rule of thumb, I'd say the fps you are getting are about what I would expect from your computer, but with a sound card and a bit of tweaking you could probably go a bit higher.Cheers,Gosta. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I did pretty extensive testing on my system and finally concluded the addition of an Audigy II at $69 was worth the improvement in the consistency of FPS. If you are getting that kind of an fps hit with sound you might try a couple of things first before paying for a soundcard:1. If you have an onboard (or add on) audio chip, make sure you have the latest drivers installed.2. Try lowering the level of hardware acceleration in DirectX (you can get there by selecting Run, then entering dxdiag. Try lowering the slider to Basic (that is if it is sitting higher at Standard or Advanced). I found that by doing the above I had some def improvement, but in the end paid for an Audigy II which again provided some more consistency in fps. But truthfully the effect is barely significant. For example, with onboard audio I would see my fps-locked counter bouce around between 25 and 21, with occasional dips to 18. With the Audigy II I noticed overall improvement in smoothness plus the fps counter would stay more on 25, with much less boucing down to the high teens or low twenties. The Audigy II has a very low CPU impact when tested with Audio Winbench99 (~0.3-0.6% cpu utiliztion) compared to my onboard Realtek AC97 sound (3-8% cpu utiliz)Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Thanks a ton for the advice gents. Thats exactly what I needed to know. Really appreciate it. Rich.