Sign in to follow this  
wombat778

Easier method of J41 cold/dark startup

Guys, I'm having problem downloading from this Megaupload place - perhaps they expect me to become platinum member for 50kb file.Anyway, can somebody help me to lay my hands on the Cold/Dark thing?
Hi Martin,You shouldn't need to be a member to download it...after typing the security code you just have to wait about 40 seconds for the "Regular Download" button to show up. However, if you are still having problems, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the file as an attachment.

Guest Skuld

Working perfect now, thank you so much.This defiantly is worth to be put up at the PDMG homepage.

Guest abulaafia

well, when the developers let us down, there is always someone to help out. fantastic work! thank you so much

I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with my program. Can you try loading the tutorial flight that comes with the J41 without my program and see if you get the same issue? Basically all my program does is save the current flight, modify it to look like the tutorial flight in terms of settings, and then reload it (e.g., it does not do anything fancy with FSX under the hood), so it seems unlikely that it would be the culprit.
Ok, did some more testing and found the 'solution'. It's a bit complicated, but I give it a try. Maybe it gives PMDG some clue how to solve the artefacts problem. To get a cold & dark Js41 I had created a cold & dark cessna as a default flight. My way of getting a C&D Js41 was to simply select the Js41, the airport and the time in the startscreen and fly. Now, if I do this (load a Js41 with engines off) and use your program, I get artefacts. Now, I changed my default flight to a Cessna with the engines running. I load the Js41 in the same way (via the startscreen) and again press tab+q and guess what.... It works perfect! So pressing tab+q with engines shut off causes artefacts, with engines running, no artefacts. Strange but fortunately it solves the problem! Thanks for this cold&dark switch!!

Well done Wombat. I think this should be a sticky, and is a must for the Ops wiki page.

Justin Paull

I am very glad that the program seems to be working for everyone and is helpful. Since I currently do not have any reports of outstanding problems or other suggestions, I don't plan on doing any more updates (e.g. version 0.6 is probably the "final" version) Please let me know if you do run into any trouble and I will fix it asap. I am also happy to look into any suggestions for improvements. Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback!

Now, I changed my default flight to a Cessna with the engines running. I load the Js41 in the same way (via the startscreen) and again press tab+q and guess what.... It works perfect! So pressing tab+q with engines shut off causes artefacts, with engines running, no artefacts. Strange but fortunately it solves the problem! Thanks for this cold&dark switch!!
Interesting. I am glad it is working ok for you now. I would be interested to know if loading the tutorial flight with the engines off causes the same artifacts (since that is very similar to what my program is doing).

I would be interested to know if loading the tutorial flight with the engines off causes the same artifacts (since that is very similar to what my program is doing).
No, that's not the case. Loading the tutorial never causes artefacts (but it causes my FMS not to work, so I do not use this method).

No, that's not the case. Loading the tutorial never causes artefacts (but it causes my FMS not to work, so I do not use this method).
Weird. It sounds like there is something strange going on with your FSX/J41 installation.

Guest abulaafia

bump, because it is such a great little program and deserves a sticky

A clever and simple idea... well done and thank you for posting it for us!:( Andrew

Very cool program, just one issue.When I press Tab+Q, my girlfriend walks into the room and throws whatever drink she has in her hand in my face... How did you program this? SDK, C++ or PMS?Hehe kidding of course, thanks for sharing this with us, works great!

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Very cool program, just one issue.When I press Tab+Q, my girlfriend walks into the room and throws whatever drink she has in her hand in my face... How did you program this? SDK, C++ or PMS?Hehe kidding of course, thanks for sharing this with us, works great!
LOL, it definitly sounds like bug-filled PMS code.... :(

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE