Sign in to follow this  
Fragmentum

Staying on the center line during take off

When ever I am on my take off roll my plane always seem to vear off the center line of the runway (It happens with almost all the planes I have) And the stronger the wind the more off center the plane gets. Is there a way or trick to keeping a plane on the center line during take off?

If you don't have rudder pedals to correct for left drift in the single engine prop aircraft, then you can select auto-rudder, or turn the realism controls (in settings) down.I don't particually like using twist grips, or rocker switches to keep the plane centered.............just rudder pedals.Left drift is engine torque, P-factor, and slip stream from the prop hitting the left side of the rudder.L.Adamson

Amen to that Larry. I just started my PPL course. I had to stop flying fs2002 because it was giving me negative training with my twist grip, among other things.

>Amen to that Larry. I just started my PPL course. I had to>stop flying fs2002 because it was giving me negative training>with my twist grip, among other things.Then get some rudder pedals!!!!! :)I'm one of those who believe that FS2002 has more positives towards obtaining a license than negatives. As everyone knows, it works wonders for IFR work; but other great things as well, such as sim flying to an un-known airport for topography, runway, and taxi-way layout. And if you're training in an Warrior or Archer, then the DF Archer is a great reminder for items such as "fuel pump" switch, and changing tanks................not to mention the accurate panel layout.I seemed to have had a terrible problem with that fuel pump switch...... even in the checkride. Either wouldn't turn it on, or then off.Once you've built up some time, and developed a "feel" for things, it's surprising just how well the better air.files seem to mimic the real thing------------- if you have pedals!!!!!!!!! :)L.Adamson

When I fly the big jets (767's, 777'2 and 747's) and the wind is blowing lets say 5-10 mph I find the planes drift of the center line, it don't seem to real when a huge 747 drifts off the center line in a 5-10 mph wind.BTW - I have a joystick with the twist grip.

Guest RonB49

Another flight sim anomoly is that planes tend to "weathervane" into a crosswind, although I'd think it would take more than 5 - 10 mph on big planes. If you want to test to see if this is your problem, then go into FSUIPC and select the "Wind" page. You'll find a facility in the lower right corner to turn the wind off (actually reduce it to 1 knot) while you are on the ground. There are checkboxes to turn "Taxi wind" on and off. R-

>Another flight sim anomoly is that planes tend to>"weathervane" into a crosswind, although I'd think it would>take more than 5 - 10 mph on big planes. If you want to test>to see if this is your problem, then go into FSUIPC and select>the "Wind" page. You'll find a facility in the lower right>corner to turn the wind off (actually reduce it to 1 knot)>while you are on the ground. There are checkboxes to turn>"Taxi wind" on and off. R-Why do you call that an anomoly? Thats what happens when wind hits the tail of an aircraft. To counter crosswind you have to use both rudder and ailerons. Use the rudder to keep the nose of the aircraft going straight, and turn the yoke as if your trying to bank in the direction of the wind.

Guest RobA

Thanks for a great explanation. :-) I have a gift certificate to fly a Cessna for 1/2 hr. I better toss this twist joystick and get some rudder pedals soon!Best, Rob

Guest Stamatis

It is an "anomaly" because in FS the amount of rudder correction required for a given crosswind component is grossly exaggerated.MS knows this, but I do not know if this has been corrected in FS2004.Also, ground tarmac friction in FS is grossly exaggerated, requiring much more power to taxi, than what is required in the real world.But I guess we can live with this and still enjoy FS!Stamatis

And decrease your yoke bank into the crosswind as your airspeed increases. Inversely when in the landing roll, increase your roll into the crosswind as airspeed decreases. Do not apply too much bank correction too soon, but some compensation for crosswind bank correction is necessary including during taxi during high surface winds.

I would get some "Rudder Pedals" except all my extra cash is tied up in the cost of lessons presently! :-lol

That's great news that you're commencing real flight training. You've helped me immensely in the past here with computer issues, so I'd like to offer to repay the favor by offering any advice I can give in real flight. I'm still a relatively low time pilot (around 150 hours) currently training for my instrument rating, but always enjoy any mentoring that I can give students based on my own experiences. Flight training is full of plateaus where the gain in expertise becomes totally unproportional to the amount of effort exerted (and $$) in training, until something clicks and you rise to the next plateau. Sometimes this can be frustrating (and expensive), and I think most students have considered quitting at some point from that frustration.Anyway- I'd be real happy to help in any advice that I can provide, at brucek@qwest.netKeep the blue side up! Good luck :)Bruce.

For more realistic roll out during takeoff, reduce the P-factor in preferences under 'realism' to '0' in FS2002. It is not working in the flight sim properly.Don