Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Anyone see the Ares launch today?

Video's up on Nasa's website (www.nasa.gov)Always amazing to see on TV, although as often as I travel to Florida I have never managed to catch a launch live. I missed one of this year's shuttle launches by just a few days. Now that a launch has put me in the mood, time to fire up the Orbiter Space sim again...Regards,John

Indeed - I spent the morning at work taking care of business with NASA TV streaming in the background.Was it me, or did the rocket seem a biiiiit wobbly on liftoff - I guess due to the height of the rocket itself, and the fact that it is a single motor as opposed to a few like the shuttle, it seemed it went through a bit of course correction before it picked up some steam and inertia as it climbed out. For a brief moment, I thought she was going to pitch over! Something tells me that if that is a normal behavior for the rocket, the astronauts hitching a ride on her will be in for a disconcerting first few moments of flight. -Greg

Saw it from my backyard, not as spectacular as the Space Shuttle launch (Only one solid rocket motor engine) but still cool to see! I found it interesting on the replay on Nasa TV at point of separation the second stage just spun out of control. I know it wasn't powered, but I would have thought they would have the stabilizing Gyros working to keep it on a straight trajectory. Else what did it prove, they already know the solid rocket motors work as they are the same as the Space Shuttle. Looked more like a PR stunt to me, which probably didn't work since it looks like the program may be cut by the administration.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Saw it from my backyard, not as spectacular as the Space Shuttle launch (Only one solid rocket motor engine) but still cool to see! I found it interesting on the replay on Nasa TV at point of separation the second stage just spun out of control. I know it wasn't powered, but I would have thought they would have the stabilizing Gyros working to keep it on a straight trajectory. Else what did it prove, they already know the solid rocket motors work as they are the same as the Space Shuttle. Looked more like a PR stunt to me, which probably didn't work since it looks like the program may be cut by the administration.
Funny you mention that, the video feed I was watching from cnn showed the second stage start its spin, then it cut to black so I assumed something bad had happened. I didn't see the rest until I went to Nasa's site. That aside, the launch proved that the setup was powerful enough to get both stages aloft without some type of structural failure or control issue. I think they gained valuable data from the test and not just PR. I suspect hardly any real PR came from the test with President Obama considering Nasa as his next target for cuts. Also, watching Ares fly I just don't get the same feeling I did as when I saw the shuttle on its first launch back in '81. It will be a sad day, and in many ways the same type of sadness felt when the Concorde flew its final flight, when the shuttle lands for the last time.-John

Funny you mention that, the video feed I was watching from cnn showed the second stage start its spin, then it cut to black so I assumed something bad had happened. I didn't see the rest until I went to Nasa's site. That aside, the launch proved that the setup was powerful enough to get both stages aloft without some type of structural failure or control issue. I think they gained valuable data from the test and not just PR. I suspect hardly any real PR came from the test with President Obama considering Nasa as his next target for cuts. Also, watching Ares fly I just don't get the same feeling I did as when I saw the shuttle on its first launch back in '81. It will be a sad day, and in many ways the same type of sadness felt when the Concorde flew its final flight, when the shuttle lands for the last time.-John
Not really, the second stage, and Orion capsule, were only simulated, the real ones aren't ready yet. so it doesn't really show how the real second stage, or Orion capsule will perform.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d