Sign in to follow this  
Flamin_Squirrel

Best hardcore (realistic) classic jet liner?

Guest Longyear

The best hardcore classic airliner (but it's not a jet!) is the B377, with Accusim expansion, from www.a2asimulations.comFor a classic jet, then the Captain Sim 727 Pro FSX is pretty good.Davido.

The truth is, there are not a lot of classic jets around, certainly for FSX. I wouldn't call the CS727 hardcore, but it's a beautiful plane to behold - the design is absolutely stunning, and it's probably one of the prettiest planes for FSX. For the rest, I'm afraid there are no really "classic" jets, although Wilco 737 PIC is very good in my opinion. I really like it and the system simulation is very good (the VC not so, but it does have the entire cabin modelled with wing vies, which is nice). Plus, because it's rather old (ex-FS9), I my experience the performance hit isn't so great.But that's basically it, I think. There are not a lot of hardcore classic jets for FSX...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Definitely the CLS 747-200. I like it a lot for FSX and it performs well inside the sim.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Definitely the CLS 747-200. I like it a lot for FSX and it performs well inside the sim.Lee
HelloI would not call the CLS 747-200 a hardcore addon , more like a lite productIf you want hardcore the Leonardo Mad dog 2008 Professionalis probably as hard core as you can buy

Yeah, I thought of recommending the Maddog 2008, but I wasn't sure if it'd classify as a classic jetliner. I mean, it's younger than all the other jetliners mentioned here. The DC-9 would be more classic then, although it's probably about the same compared to the MD-80, but with steam gauges.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I like the CS 727, and it is a handful. Not having flown a 727, but as an experienced simmer for many years, I have to say it scratches my classic jet itch beautifully. It is complex enough I have to retrain if I want to go back to it after a couple or three months of not flying it. It would get my strong vote as the best classic jet out there. Just remember to avoid full flaps and keep your engines spooled up on final -- just like the real 727 drivers had to learn.I also like the CLS 747-200. It isn't hardcore, but I don't know that I would call it lite, either. I do know that it is a graphically beautiful airplane that is a lot of fun to fly, has a well-modeled INS, and one of the best tutorials I've ever seen.The Coolsky Flight 1 MD-80 (the older one without the FMC) is very nice, too, and easy on the frame rates. Plus McPhat has made available a ton of Ultra High Definition paints for it.I loaded up the Wilco 737 a while back, and, sadly, discovered that it just wasn't up to what I was used to, now. It was one of my favorites, too, but the vc came nowhere near to what I expect. If you're willing to put up with an older product that is not exactly state-of-the-art when it comes to graphics and functionality, the 737 would be an excellent choice. You could even treat yourself to the adventure pack and get some training and interesting trouble situations to deal with.

You guys certainly know what's what with addons, so I was wondering if there were any recommendations for a classic jet heavy.Thanks
The CLS 747-200 gets my vote as well. I've got the Justflight boxed product. In my opinion the feel and external model are superior to the PMDG -400 version. If you opt for the INS instead of the 'Lite' FMC, it's not far off the real deal internally either. There's something good about flying a huge jet using traditional VORs, having to work out your own descent point etc etc. I actually have some time in a real 747-200 simulator, so I can vouch for how good they got the VC.And it's cheap as chips at the moment. Buy it. You won't be disappointed.Ian

The CLS 747-200 gets my vote as well. I've got the Justflight boxed product. In my opinion the feel and external model are superior to the PMDG -400 version. If you opt for the INS instead of the 'Lite' FMC, it's not far off the real deal internally either. There's something good about flying a huge jet using traditional VORs, having to work out your own descent point etc etc. I actually have some time in a real 747-200 simulator, so I can vouch for how good they got the VC.And it's cheap as chips at the moment. Buy it. You won't be disappointed.Ian
Interesting. Does it have a fully functional autopilot, and do you get all the charts/graphs etc needed to fly it realistically?

Interesting. Does it have a fully functional autopilot, and do you get all the charts/graphs etc needed to fly it realistically?
https://www.commerciallevel.com/index.php?id=89Here's a link to their download page. There's a fairly hefty manual and tutorial which takes you from KBOS to KSFO using the INS. It'll give you an idea of whether the product offers the degree of realism you want, but for me it's pretty close. I like to do short hops in it, using real charts. What you don't get is a working engineers panel or failures menu, and many of the overhead switches are inoperable. However, fiddling about with fuel tanks and going through elaborate start-up routines does not appeal to me as much as flying and navigating. As far as that's concerned, the product certainly delivers.Hope that helps.Ian

Guest 413X3

the Ready for Pushback 747 for FS9... now that was a true simulation and realistic. The CLS is nice but mostly eye candy. I would say the PMDG MD-11, but its systems are a little more advanced to be called classic jet liner I guess.