Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mozart

Using CIVA INS - which settings on autopilot

I`ve installed the CIVA INS fine and all seems to up and running. At least I followed their documentation and all the things that are supposed to happen actually do happen.Only question remaining now is how to get the INS drive the plane's lateral navigation. First: which INS switch must be set to ON? Does the corresponding INS unit be in a particular setting (POS? WAYPT? DIS/TIME? etc)?Second: the NAV/GPS switch on the main panel, do I have to set it to NAV or GPS?Third: on the autpilot, which lateral navigation mode do I have to set? HDG? NAV?ThanksChris

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello,I'm Gianfranco Corrias Civa INS developper.To have the Civa INS driving your plane you have to:1-Switch on the desired INS NAV MODE switch.2-The autopilot NAV MODE SEL must be in HDG mode.The INS DATA SELECTORS can be, during the flight, moved in all positions you like to display the desired data. If you install the Bob Scott Boeing HSI(available at AVSIM Library) it's useful to switch the NAV-INS switch on INS position when the INSs are the only navigation means(crossing oceans or deserts where there are not radio navigation sys) .I suggest you to spend a little time to read the INS Doc available in :FS/CIVA.Cheers Gianfranco

HiIt's been a while I asked the question but in the meantime I had several opportunities to test your advice. Trouble is that it still doesn't work.To start: all INS units are working fine, the MSUs show the green "ready" light. All waypoints are correctly entered (I checked that with the DIS/TIME dial). On the main panel, I switch the Autopilot NAV source to NAV, the lateral navigation to HDG, and I switch on INS unit #1.BUT: for some reason the HDG commands are not right. Suppose the HDG to follow my flightplan should be 070, it would be (example) 103 on the HDG dial in the main cockpit, and the plane would turn to that heading with a very slow curve. About 1-2 degrees of inclination. I also tried make the plane go to the next waypoint with the WYPT CHG button. It did turn, but again towards a wrong heading.ANd then, after some time, the INS units shut off, as if they didn't have any more power.Any help? I would really like to use the INS.ThanksChris

Tried my tutorial? :( Goran
Err, maybe... if I knew which "your" tutorial was? I read the tutorial that comes with the CIVA INS. Not sure that is "yours"?In any case, can you let me know where to find your tutorial, I'd love to go through it and check what I am doing right, what I am doing wrong.ThanksChris

Hi,you can solve the problem of the power loss after TO, transferring the electric power after the engine start to the plane generators.If you have the electric system powered by the plane generators all INS power problems will disappear .After TO follow the ATC instructions and when you are instructed to follow your normal navigation check what is your right TO waypoint.Push WYPTCHG 0-X (X stands for the number of the TO waypoint you already checked) and check on the TO-FROM display that the right leg 0-X appears after that push INSERT. Switch on the INSNAVMODE selector the switch you like being sure that the autopilot is in HDG mode. Anyway I suggest you to have a look to the www.simufly.com/ins forum where all those problems are already discussed and solved.Gianfranco

Have spent many hours flying this acrft since it first came out years ago...to all who are just getting it or trying to fly it, you will have your hands full...this was a three man crew and you will nn to understand all aspects layed out in the manuals to fully be at ease flying the acrft. It is in my opinion still the hardest sim to fly and understand. There are so many steps involved in just getting the engines up and running the T/O, climb etc. This is not the 747-400 in any way.....flying the 400 is easy compared w/ this acrft. It is not a sim for the timmid or those looking for a quick and dirty ride. You will be rewarded if you like the old technology and have the time to set it up and get it in the air. The CIVA add-on provided by Mr. Corrias is a must and he did a wonderful job replicating this instrument. It too however will require alittle reading to understand all it's functions. Vincent

Have spent many hours flying this acrft since it first came out years ago...to all who are just getting it or trying to fly it, you will have your hands full...this was a three man crew and you will nn to understand all aspects layed out in the manuals to fully be at ease flying the acrft. It is in my opinion still the hardest sim to fly and understand. There are so many steps involved in just getting the engines up and running the T/O, climb etc. This is not the 747-400 in any way.....flying the 400 is easy compared w/ this acrft. It is not a sim for the timmid or those looking for a quick and dirty ride. You will be rewarded if you like the old technology and have the time to set it up and get it in the air. The CIVA add-on provided by Mr. Corrias is a must and he did a wonderful job replicating this instrument. It too however will require alittle reading to understand all it's functions. Vincent
Hi,tank you for your post where it's ascertained that it's impossible to operate the CIVA Ins without having a look at the operation manual.After having read the operational manual it's useful to visit the Civa Ins forum site at www.simufly.com/ins where it's possible to have all needed information about all normal operation and problems already discussed and solved.Regards Gianfranco

I have a different problem with my INS and that is, that rarely does the align procedure go below 65. It almost always sits there at 65 thus preventing me from flying. I usually give up after waiting 20 minutes. I fly the VC10. Everything else seems to work ok. The alignment works in about 1 in 10 goes!Any advice would be helpful.vololiberista

I have a different problem with my INS and that is, that rarely does the align procedure go below 65. It almost always sits there at 65 thus preventing me from flying. I usually give up after waiting 20 minutes. I fly the VC10. Everything else seems to work ok. The alignment works in about 1 in 10 goes!Any advice would be helpful.vololiberista
The aligment stops at API 65 when the ramp position has not been accepted by the INS because it hasn't been inserted correctly.As already discussed in the Civa Forum www.simufly.com/ins the most common error is pushing twice the INSERT key after having inserted the LAT during the ramp position insertion.Being the Ramp Position LAT&LON a unique part of the ramp position insertion the INSERT Light goes out only when both data LAT&LON have been inserted.Ramp position insertion it's different from Waypoint insertion where it's possible to insert only the LAT or the LON to edit a wrong waypoint position.To end the Ramp position insertion and to obtain the INSERT Light out it's needed to complete correctly the LAT&LON insertion and if you make an insertion error maybe when you're inserting the LON you have to reinsert both data LAT&LONG.Gianfranco

The aligment stops at API 65 when the ramp position has not been accepted by the INS because it hasn't been inserted correctly.As already discussed in the Civa Forum www.simufly.com/ins the most common error is pushing twice the INSERT key after having inserted the LAT during the ramp position insertion.Being the Ramp Position LAT&LON a unique part of the ramp position insertion the INSERT Light goes out only when both data LAT&LON have been inserted.Ramp position insertion it's different from Waypoint insertion where it's possible to insert only the LAT or the LON to edit a wrong waypoint position.To end the Ramp position insertion and to obtain the INSERT Light out it's needed to complete correctly the LAT&LON insertion and if you make an insertion error maybe when you're inserting the LON you have to reinsert both data LAT&LONG.Gianfranco
So I have to enter both Lat and then Long and only then press the insert?vololiberista

I hope there will be once a lite version of this, without malfunctions, and easier usage.Since I have a love-hate relation with it, the use of it is a must for our old 742's and I have no alternative.But damn, that thing, it never does what I want, gives strange headings.. errors, so most of the time I use VOR's, but pray thatone day it will do as intended!JohanPS: do not think the CIVA is bad.. its.. euh.. too good!!

So I have to enter both Lat and then Long and only then press the insert?vololiberista
You have to enter the LAT and push INSERT just one time.The INSERT light still illuminated.Then insert LON and push INSERT.Now the INSERT light will go out.Gianfranco

You have to enter the LAT and push INSERT just one time.The INSERT light still illuminated.Then insert LON and push INSERT.Now the INSERT light will go out.Gianfranco
Thanks I thought that might be the case. Now I just need to get my head around the position updating procedures!!!vololiberista

I hope there will be once a lite version of this, without malfunctions, and easier usage.Since I have a love-hate relation with it, the use of it is a must for our old 742's and I have no alternative.But damn, that thing, it never does what I want, gives strange headings.. errors, so most of the time I use VOR's, but pray thatone day it will do as intended!JohanPS: do not think the CIVA is bad.. its.. euh.. too good!!

C'mon, what's the point of making this 'light' and less realistic. The CIVA is fine, you just have to use it properly. I like it the way it is. If you want a light version why not just use the semi functional INS that came packaged with the RFP 747?

I flew this afternoon from LIMZ to EGLL using only INS and the greatest track error was 60 feet. This is why INS is still used in preference to GPS. (excluding GA of course!) It is more accurate!vololiberista

I flew this afternoon from LIMZ to EGLL using only INS and the greatest track error was 60 feet. This is why INS is still used in preference to GPS. (excluding GA of course!) It is more accurate!vololiberista
Its a great gauge, but I for example always seem to have problems to intercept my first waypoint.If atc directs you another heading for a while, is just enabling the INS enough to turn to the first waypoint ? or does one need to be on a intercept course ?

Its a great gauge, but I for example always seem to have problems to intercept my first waypoint.If atc directs you another heading for a while, is just enabling the INS enough to turn to the first waypoint ? or does one need to be on a intercept course ?
In that situation you use waypoint change 0-1 or 0-2 etc , where 1 or 2 is the waypoint you want to head to. 0 is always your current position.I use the CIVA INS in Concorde and the 727 as well as the RFP, and I would like to say a big thank you to Gianfranco for what is one of the best freeware addons in the flightsim world.Peter

In that situation you use waypoint change 0-1 or 0-2 etc , where 1 or 2 is the waypoint you want to head to. 0 is always your current position.I use the CIVA INS in Concorde and the 727 as well as the RFP, and I would like to say a big thank you to Gianfranco for what is one of the best freeware addons in the flightsim world.Peter
I mean for example, runway heading 340, first waypoint is for example at 250 and 30nm further away, but ATC tells me to fly 010 for a while and then proceed as filed, so do I then just flip on the INS and the HDG and it turns to 250 or something, or do I need to line it up before myself ?I tried both and everytime the INS commanded heading is way way off to another place. I am still doing 0-1 at that moment..

I mean for example, runway heading 340, first waypoint is for example at 250 and 30nm further away, but ATC tells me to fly 010 for a while and then proceed as filed, so do I then just flip on the INS and the HDG and it turns to 250 or something, or do I need to line it up before myself ?I tried both and everytime the INS commanded heading is way way off to another place. I am still doing 0-1 at that moment..
You have after TO to follow all vectors that the ATC gives you but when the ATC instructs you to resume normal navigation you have two possibilities.1- press WY PT CHG 0-X INSERT to command the plane to go from present position directly to the desired waypoint X.Couple the autopilot with the INS.2- Press WY PT CHG;sequentially press the numbered keys corresponding to desired Leg;check the FROM-TO display showing the desired leg;Position the INS DATA Selector on XTK/TKE and by the Heading selector steer the plane in order to reduce XTK/TKE as far as possible to zero. When the plane is on track press INSERT.At this point you can couple the Autopilot with the INS. Gianfranco

You have after TO to follow all vectors that the ATC gives you but when the ATC instructs you to resume normal navigation you have two possibilities.1- press WY PT CHG 0-X INSERT to command the plane to go from present position directly to the desired waypoint X.Couple the autopilot with the INS.2- Press WY PT CHG;sequentially press the numbered keys corresponding to desired Leg;check the FROM-TO display showing the desired leg;Position the INS DATA Selector on XTK/TKE and by the Heading selector steer the plane in order to reduce XTK/TKE as far as possible to zero. When the plane is on track press INSERT.At this point you can couple the Autopilot with the INS. Gianfranco
Finally an uneventfull flight! This was so good!Did LERS-LEPA, short test hop, and after puzzling start, the shift-z lat-lon didnt gave a zero in between, it went all fine.Off to further flying.

Another great flight!PITFALL: when you see the lat/lon from FS, like 50* 1.23 note that you enter like 50* 01.23!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks Gian, you did indeed a wonderfull job.The reason for my mixed expiriences where due to above.Johan

Another great flight!PITFALL: when you see the lat/lon from FS, like 50* 1.23 note that you enter like 50* 01.23!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks Gian, you did indeed a wonderfull job.The reason for my mixed expiriences where due to above.Johan
I think you mean 50* 01.2 !!!!!vololiberista