Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Ifr pilots rejoice about fs2004!

I now file an ifr flight plan in fs2004 from FNT to FNT (my home airport). I takeoff-ask for the ils 27-then depending on my whim ask for a vor 18-then maybe a published hold-followed by a ndb niner.You get the picture-add some real weather and you have heaven-not to mention valuable cost saving training practice.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Are you saying that FS will include published holds as part of the approach (missed approach not hold prior to approach) for us simmers to request? Kilstorm

Guest JonP01

Geof,Do you have FS2004 already?

Guest JonP01

I don't know where you found the time to test it, but I'm glad you did :) That makes three testers who have come out of the woodwork thus far that I'm happy to hear about - you, John and Chris.

Guest The Ancient Brit

S

I can't help but think how much money I spent on my instrument rating in REAL life that I could have saved if this software had been available ten years ago(if you add in the required total time and cross country time, I think I spent about $10,000 getting an instrument ticket). So take heed all you instrument students out there, you don't know how good you got it!Don BowlerPrivate, Instrument, Commercial400 hours TT Airplane Single Engine LandHigh Performance endorsementDell 8250512 megs rdramati 9700 pro

Guest JonP01

>I can't help but think how much money I spent on my>instrument rating in REAL life that I could have saved if this>software had been available ten years ago(if you add in the>required total time and cross country time, I think I spent>about $10,000 getting an instrument ticket). So take heed all>you instrument students out there, you don't know how good you>got it!>>Don Bowler>Private, Instrument, Commercial>400 hours TT Airplane Single Engine Land>High Performance endorsement>>Dell 8250>512 megs rdram>ati 9700 proNot only that. I have a life-long friend who is now, for the very first time, going to buy a Microsoft Flight Sim (FS2004 naturally). He ran a 486DX computer for the last 10 years, and only got a current generation gaming machine 2 months ago. He has *never* had a flight sim before. He nearly died when I told him there were going to be 23,000 airports, and that he could land his virtual aircraft at his local airport, or just about any airport anywhere he cares to think of. I think this is going to blow his mind, especially on account of the 486 to 3ghz computer upgrade and the "upgrade from version "nothing" of the flight sim to version 9!!!! I need to warn him he has a long learning curve ahead of him if he is going to use the sim in a realistic manner.

And I'll tell you something else. I have about 50-60 hours of ast-300 simulator time that I paid $39/hr for back in the early 90s. I don't know if ya'll are familiar with the ast-300 but i remember clamping a magic marker to the "map desk" so that my ground track could be plotted as I flew the approach on the sim while monitoring a black and white 12 inch t.v. that was supposed to "simulate" the outside view. IN fairness though, all the instruments were real life facsimiles of those found in any multi-engine piston prop. But come on...$39/hr!Don Bowler

Guest RSmith

Don,I was required to have several hours in a "Frasca" simulator, at Aerospace Technical Institute, Melbourne, Florida - basic private training back in the summer of 1969. Although I had little problem in the air, in the school's C-150's, I found the simulator tough in certain conditions - so I asked for more time.Why all that - well - in comparison, FS2k2, and now (with what I've read) FSCOF, is going to present any prospective or student in training a simulator that is 800% more complex and realistic than those old clunkers...... and, as you said, for less than $100 !If I had a flight school, I'd make FS a pre-condition to training ! Save the student's $$, and give them a tool for basic operational training - without burning any AVGAS.Ron

>It will clear you for the published hold.Thanks for the info Geof, can I be really picky and just try and get some more info on the above statement.You say "the published hold", does it "know" what the published hold is i.e. (excuse me jumping 3200nm away) if I'm approaching Biggin Hill (UK) will I :1) Have the option to hold at "the published hold"2) Be *sent* to "the published hold" for a period of time3) Have the option to hold at ALKIN (the published hold)4) Be *sent* to ALKIN for a period of timeI hope you see the distinction I'm trying to make.Oh, and how's AI spacing now?Many thanks,Ian