Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Something odd in the file library

Just thought I'd point out that something odd is happening - I uploaded a few a/c repaints yesterday, and included thumbnails of each, as well as a jpeg. Today, all but one of the thumbnails has gone (they were there yesterday), although the jpegs still seem to open. I can't imagine that AVSIM deleted them.Well, it's no big deal, but I just wondered if it may be worth pointing this out to those that are trying to get the library up and running again. (I still get more than half the files I try to download reported as missing BTW).Martin :-)

Something odd is the fact the now probably over 90% of my repaints which stretch from 2003 onwards seem to be showing as missing and have no images - this was previously not the case before the NAS drive issue earlier last month! Now from a few corrupt file listings to almost all of them, I doubt that I will be able to re-upload them...Philip.

I think that when the library came back in August (or whenever it was exactly), most of the files if not all were actually there, so I suppose they are still there on the drives. I have about 30 uploads on AVSIM, several of which are now 'missing' apparently, but I'll wait until the library is working properly before I think about re-uploading them. Meanwhile I thought that the thumbnails disappearing overnight might be a clue to something .. but possibly not.Martin

I notice that files I uploaded only three weeks ago are already reported as 'missing'. Something really awry here, as I am sure AVSIM are aware.Martin

I have noticed the same " problem '' with files that I uploaded on the 11th and 12th of October , 12 in total , are now all missing . Of a total of more than 70 files , some 29 are " no longer available " . Luckily for me I had not uploaded all my repaints ( that were backlogged since the " hack " ) .People also mention uploading to other sites but I do not see that as an option . I prefer to limit the sites where my repaints are , if only to keep track of them . Also sites where you have to pay for " Premium " membership does not appeal ( to Me ) as I find this PAYing for FREEware .In another post there was mention of re-uploading these files using the file id . My question is , " Where can this be found ? " . If the answer is in the email I received when I uploaded , then I now also have a problem , as I do not save these emails ( in the last few years I never needed to re-upload anything ) . As far as the thumbnails are concerned , they aren't that important , it just lets people have an idea of what the download looks like in the sim .Is there another solution as I do not relish the thought of spending several hours re-uploading files , text and thumbnails until the library is working 100% ( Re : notice in the forum about shutting down this / nexrt week ) .I know that there was a lot of pressure to get the file library up and running again - it's just a shame that this last breakdown occurred when it did . John Glanville

The library hardware and storage is now working correctly. Yes, we have some missing files we are working on, but the only way we will get "back" to having everything available is to have people start uploading again. We have backups in place now (please don't flame for the past issues, they are corrected now), we have stable hardware, and in the event something did happen to the storage again, we could restore within hours. (hours only because of the sheer volume of data)All I can say is upload. It will "stick" this time.

I have noticed the same " problem '' with files that I uploaded on the 11th and 12th of October , 12 in total , are now all missing . Of a total of more than 70 files , some 29 are " no longer available " . Luckily for me I had not uploaded all my repaints ( that were backlogged since the " hack " ) .People also mention uploading to other sites but I do not see that as an option . I prefer to limit the sites where my repaints are , if only to keep track of them . Also sites where you have to pay for " Premium " membership does not appeal ( to Me ) as I find this PAYing for FREEware .In another post there was mention of re-uploading these files using the file id . My question is , " Where can this be found ? " . If the answer is in the email I received when I uploaded , then I now also have a problem , as I do not save these emails ( in the last few years I never needed to re-upload anything ) . As far as the thumbnails are concerned , they aren't that important , it just lets people have an idea of what the download looks like in the sim .Is there another solution as I do not relish the thought of spending several hours re-uploading files , text and thumbnails until the library is working 100% ( Re : notice in the forum about shutting down this / nexrt week ) .I know that there was a lot of pressure to get the file library up and running again - it's just a shame that this last breakdown occurred when it did . John Glanville

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Thanks for the quick response but my question was not answered ( was hidden in the middle of my post ) .Do I have to go through the whole upload procedure again for all of the " lost " files ? If this is the case , I will wait and see first , before uploading again . As I mentioned before and in another post , the upload procedure took me more than 2 hours for the last batch of repaints , also since the last " breakdown " there are more to upload .In any case I will wait untill after the scheduled " shutdown " mentioned in another post . I am not saying that I will not upload anymore .John

OK, I'll re-upload any missing files (it will take some time, so I hope they do 'stick', as you say!). What will happen to the old, now 'missing' files? Will they be deleted? Maybe I should mention in the upload notes to library staff that the file is a replacement for such and such a file?Martin S... what is the 'scheduled shutdown'?

If you are uploading a replacement PLEASE DO reference the original ID. The team will move over your download counts, etc to the new file and keep the existing ID.The "scheduled shutdown" that Brian has scheduled is to upgrade and make some minor code adjustments to make the system run better.

OK, I'll re-upload any missing files (it will take some time, so I hope they do 'stick', as you say!). What will happen to the old, now 'missing' files? Will they be deleted? Maybe I should mention in the upload notes to library staff that the file is a replacement for such and such a file?Martin S... what is the 'scheduled shutdown'?

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Well now I search for my name in the search box, and whereas up to today it used to show all the files I uploaded, now it says "No more items in category". I searched for a few other people's names ("Author Name", I mean, as on the file upload) too: same result. This is new - and temporary we hope.Martin

Well now I search for my name in the search box, and whereas up to today it used to show all the files I uploaded, now it says "No more items in category". I searched for a few other people's names ("Author Name", I mean, as on the file upload) too: same result. This is new - and temporary we hope.Martin
Yup, you could use the initial search function on: http://library.avsim.net ; to look for authors, I've tested it and it doesn't seem to be the case now. Hopefully the techs will be able to look at this and sort it out soon.In the mean time go to:http://library.avsim.net/extsearch.phpand use the Extended search function to search for files by author - it should work fine, it does for me.

To answer my own question : The download ID ( DLID ) can be found by clicking the ZIPDIVE! button and checking the addressbar at the top of the page .If you click on the DOWNLOAD button , you are directed to a different page .That was all I needed to know .John Glanville

Try now

Brian Sperduto