Sign in to follow this  
Guest Victor Libardi

PMDG 737 - Takeoff flap schedulle

Guest Victor Libardi

Hello guys,There is a standard procedure for takeoff flaps when talking about the runway size? When searching into the PMDG manuals I've found only a table with the takeoff weight and speeds for each flap level, anything about the runway size. I didn't find a topic talking about it, I'm sorry if already exists. Thanks all, best regards.

Flaps 5 seems to work all the time, I'm not sure when you would want more flap, especially since it degrades your initial acceleration and climb. I am sure Jose will have the answer to this.Please sign your name to posts in this forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

With the tables provided in the PMDG manuals I haven't been able to make a calculation putting into relation flaps position and runway length.As Dan has already said, flaps 5 is the number for the NG ( I always use that setting).TOPCAT http://www.topcatsim.com/ is the perfect (quasi-professional) tool for that calculation. Payware, with a limited free version for the 744.Anyway, a takeoff with a medium loaded NG from a runway shorter than 1800 m would be a very unsafe operation.

Guest Victor Libardi

Thanks Dan,I normally use the flap 5 when the runway is bigger than 2000m. When it`s smaller, flap 10 or 15. The problem is exactly this, where i don't know the parameters to use each one. Maybe don't exist an exactly parameter, where the companies uses a standard procedure by itself. If somebody knows these procedures my problem would be solved!Ok Jose, I'll use it! Thanks!

I fly the 737-800 for American Airlines. We almost always use flaps 1 for take off. 5 and 15 are also normal takeoff flaps but we rarely use 15. Usually only out of Orange County KSNA when we are heavy. Flaps 10 is not a normal flap setting for takeoff. The flaps and takeoff thrust settings are all calculated by our load controllers based on weight, weather, runway length and obstacle clearance. One day you might use flaps 1 and the next on the same runway use flaps 5. My brother flys them for Continental and he says they pretty much always use flaps 5 for takeoff and never flaps 1.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

I fly the 737-800 for American Airlines. We almost always use flaps 1 for take off. 5 and 15 are also normal takeoff flaps but we rarely use 15. Usually only out of Orange County KSNA when we are heavy. Flaps 10 is not a normal flap setting for takeoff. The flaps and takeoff thrust settings are all calculated by our load controllers based on weight, weather, runway length and obstacle clearance. One day you might use flaps 1 and the next on the same runway use flaps 5. My brother flys them for Continental and he says they pretty much always use flaps 5 for takeoff and never flaps 1.
I will tend to agree with Ralgh. At Westjet 90-95% of our take offs are flaps 1. Once in a while we will need flaps 5. I have never seen our trim report ever tell us we need flaps 10 or 15. Very rarely we need flaps 25. A more common airport we use flaps 25 would be our Maui - Vancouver. Lots of fuel and lots of pax.

Standard procedure at SWA is to always use flaps 5, unless flaps 15 is required due to runway length.

Joe Sherrill

I will tend to agree with Ralgh. At Westjet 90-95% of our take offs are flaps 1. Once in a while we will need flaps 5. I have never seen our trim report ever tell us we need flaps 10 or 15. Very rarely we need flaps 25. A more common airport we use flaps 25 would be our Maui - Vancouver. Lots of fuel and lots of pax.
Hi, I've never heard of a flap 25 TAKE OFF. Are you sure? Rgds,Bruno

Flaps 25 is a valid T/O selection on the NG's only. Used only when it is really required, as the climbout performance really suffers.

Joe Sherrill

Flaps 25 is a valid T/O selection on the NG's only. Used only when it is really required, as the climbout performance really suffers.
Thanks,Indeed, the manual mentions it. I should have checked first !Interestingly, starting at FLAP 10, there is a decrease in max TO weight allowed. Which seems to be in contradiction with some of Jack's comments (lots of fuel, lots of passengers). So, my understanding is FLAP 25 will be used on a VERY short runway, with SOME restrictions on payload (and of course with no obstacles in the path, since climb angle will be shallow). Looking at the tables, on a dry runway, for a given weight, going from FLAP 1 to FLAP 25 allows to lower Vr by 9 to 15 kts, depending on model. Anyone disagrees with that?Bruno

Guest fredgreen

I use topcat for flight simulator, its payware but really worth it I think. I will give you a couple things to think about on takeoffs. 1. Lower flap settings = Heavier Performance weight limit, but a longer takeoff run. 2. Higher flap settings = Lower Performance weight limit, but a shorter takeoff run.One of the performance considerations of multi-engine aircraft is what is called accelerate / stop distance. If you loose an engine before reaching V1 you should have enough runway left over to stop before running off the end. Here is an example I ran on Topcat.Conditions: Standard temp and pressure. Nashville runway 2 center. 737-700NG at a Take off weight of 125,000 lbs using Max takeoff power of 91.9% N1Flaps 1 = Takeoff run, 4900 ft, remaining runway 3100 ft, V2 of 134 kts, performance weight limit, 153,500 lbsFlaps 5 = Takeoff run, 4735 ft, remaining runway 3265 ft, V2 of 131 kts, performance weight limit, 148,956 lbsFlaps 15 = Takeoff run, 4500 ft, remaining runway 3500 ft, V2 of 123 kts, performance weight limit, 137,294 lbs Hope this helpsFred Payne

Hey Bruno, thanks for pointing me to this thread. Flaps 25 takeoffs are regularly used in Rio de Janeiro

Lihue, HI is the only place I've used F25, but it is valid. I think only planes with a Short Field Performance Package use F25. Clean up is 25-15-5-1-Up.It's interesting: Westjet is almost always F1, Continental is never F1. KAL and Alaska are usually F5.

Matt Cee

Lihue, HI is the only place I've used F25, but it is valid. I think only planes with a Short Field Performance Package use F25. Clean up is 25-15-5-1-Up.It's interesting: Westjet is almost always F1, Continental is never F1. KAL and Alaska are usually F5.
Thanks Matt,And Ralgh mentioned that American almost always use F1I googled "Short Field improvement package" and found - among others :http://www.b737.org.uk/flightcontrols.htmApparently, according to this site at least, this was first developped for use by GOL in ...Rio de Janeiro, as Victor mentioned.Bruno