Sign in to follow this  

My new computer is less than a year old, and as big an improvement as my expensive "impulse buy" from Best Buy was, I still have to face its limitations. Are we to to the point where you can place an order with Dell and get a $2000-ish computer that will run FSX with everything maxed out? With high FPS at large airports with complex airliners? If not, how long can I expect to wait? Sorry, but building my own system is out of the question.

Even people that build their own with top of the line stuff and overclock to the extreme still have problem running maxed out in large add-on areas (some may claim its perfect right now, but I don't take 20fps as 'high frame rate'). I'm personally waiting probably another year to upgrade.

Hmmm... okay. The hassle and expense of upgrading only to still be tinkering with sliders and making compromises doesn't sound appealing. I'd rather wait until something better comes along, or at least today's top-of-the-line has dropped in price.

Even people that build their own with top of the line stuff and overclock to the extreme still have problem running maxed out in large add-on areas (some may claim its perfect right now, but I don't take 20fps as 'high frame rate'). I'm personally waiting probably another year to upgrade.
It really has less to do with FPS counter and more to do with how smooth the environment is. I can say that at busy airports with add on scenery and 100% ai, things seem pretty smooth. I was shocked to find that the FPS were around 18-20; I could have sworn I was getting 30+ by the way things looked before I hit shift Z.Honestly, I can't remeber getting great FPS at a fully tricked out EGLL in FS9 either. The hardware is there now if you want to build your own system. FSX is running better than FS9 ever did on my old system.Back to the original question, I doubt any pre assembled system will every be suffecient for a FS enthusiast. With just the bloatware alone, you can tell that Dell (and similar) do not wish cater to our needs. If they really wanted to, they wouldn't add all of that junk to begin with - having a clean system is a requirement for FSX. IMHO, buying a pre assembled system (Dell, HP...) for a flightsim enthusiast is like flushing you money down the toilet. I had one experience with a Gateway 10 years ago and that was enough for me. Open the case and you void your warranty. Add a new video card, you void you warranty. Upgrade RAM, you void your warranty. I guess in the end the warranty was pretty useless because the tech support people were morons anyway

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

My new computer is less than a year old, and as big an improvement as my expensive "impulse buy" from Best Buy was, I still have to face its limitations. Are we to to the point where you can place an order with Dell and get a $2000-ish computer that will run FSX with everything maxed out? With high FPS at large airports with complex airliners? If not, how long can I expect to wait? Sorry, but building my own system is out of the question.
Hello TimWhy is building your own out of the question?, there are plenty of us here to help youAnd you would get a better system with some cost savings as well.

Guest AVN8tr

You do realize that if you were to follow the advice and specs given here, that A: assembly would be absolutely free so long as you bought everything from the same store, B: worst case you pay an extra 50 bux.... Normally the guy with the best prices in your area will be able to supply any part within 5% of his competition, and most of the time can match it if you simply ask. DELL is NEVER going to give you what you need, only what they have on hand. Outside of that.. you might want to wait till the i9's which will have higher ram speeds.. but if you get an i7 now all you have to do is replace the CPU.. and the guy who sells you the CPU will be willing to swap it out for you, or heck find a teenager that knows what they're doing :)

Hello TimWhy is building your own out of the question?, there are plenty of us here to help youAnd you would get a better system with some cost savings as well.
Three months ago I had no idea what I wanted in hardware. I had been out of the upgrade loop for so long I had no idea what was available or if anything was available worth upgrading to.After some searching here and other places, I found out that a nice FSX system was completly doable (+/- $2,000 depending on what you already have that you can transfer over - DVD drive, monitors, power supply...) . I had a shop build it for me here in town and I bought everything from Microcenter (great place if you have one near you).I'm not playing with my sliders - just followed Nicks FSX set up guide and everything is dandy. Once you buy off the rack, you'll never go back.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest AVN8tr

Wait a minute... I though off the rack meant buying a Dell.. wouldn't you want custom/tailor made stuff instead :)

Ahh, I seem to have bungled my words of wisdom :(