Sign in to follow this  

Attn: Beta Testers - FS2004 ATC questions

Guest ssurjap

Man, oh man, I can't WAIT to get this now. All of these ATC improvements will definitely make it more fun and realistic.

The autopilot is much better. The heavies intercept the glide slope and fly the approach without ducking below the glide slope like in FS2002. They also tend not to fish back and forth as much on the localizer as they did in 2002. Of course they respond smoother to the intercept proportionally much better when ATC is stacking them further and further out for spacing so they have more time to make the turn to final. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Wow !!!I have to admit that I'm impressed - and I'm not that easily impressed! Many thanks to Geof A, Kevin, and Kyle for sharing. The diverse approaches and the initial attempt at sequencing arrivals (along with all the other enhancements) shows that the MS team is really trying to make this version "as Real as it gets!". I know that catch-phrase has been highly criticized in the past - but it seems the developers are finally willing to put their money where their mouth is.... I won't comment on the other features; but I have 'a little' experience with creating ATC code for flightsims - and it appears that the team has put a lot of thought into this version. I can't wait to try it out! I really hope MS eventually provides an ATC SDK - 'cause I'd love to do some "piddling".Thanks again for the input,Marc

Oh man are we in for a treat!!! After reading the some of the previews and the lack of ALL the new ATC improvements i felt that the ATC was only touched by allowing higher/lower cruise and approaches requests but the fact that you have more than one tower freq, ATC reconizes what size of plane, and does more controlling like your lear and cessna example...man oh man!!! I mean there is so much that ATC can offer but just to hear that the out of the box ATC takes care of so many aspects of ATC. Do have a question about that Lear over taking...It sounds like the faster plane will pass you (being in the slower plane) so how do you deal with not getting hit? Just stay higher than the glidescope and let the faster plane pas then it will get the go around I'm guessing. I've really only noticed the go arounds like that at bigger airports but the fact that ATC will try and put small a/c on smaller runways and ATC tries to open as many runways as possible it sounds like a go around is going to be a thing that happens once in a blue moon even with UT installed. Of course once the planes land there still is the problem of having the planes clear the active and cross another active in order to make space for other landing planes but neverless this new ATC is going to open up a whole new area of fun and enjoyment.Kil~

NOt such a problem!On approach to landing, say you are landing at an airport with parallel runways, like KBFI again. You are in the Cessna 172 and landing on 31 R, and a B747 is landing on runway 31L. When tower clears you to land, you will hear

Here's my .02$ on the lear and cessna example. I've had this happen to me in real life flying a Piper Arrow with a King Air in trail in IMC on in ILS and atc just gave me instructions to make a left 360 which allowed the King Air to slip in front of me. I don't know if fs2004 will allow this but that would be cool.Don BowlerDell 8259 2.53 gig512 mg rdramati 9700 proPrivate, Instrument, Commercial400 hours Airplane Single Engine Land

Don,Let me get this straight...You were in IMC on the ILS and ATC instructed you to make a left 360 turn to allow the following a/c to land? That doesnt sound all that safe or normal to me or am I missing something?Kilstorm

I just wanted to says thanks as well to everyone for answering these questions. I've been waiting to hear about the ATC for a while. I just have one little question on something thats been touched on...It was mentioned that airports like KLAX now have all 4 runways operating simultaneously which is great! I was just wondering if they have it where 2 runways are for landing and two are for takeoff or is it a free-for-all on all four runways? I would think they would be able to close runways for takeoff or landing as you can do using AFCAD, but you know what they say about assuming... Thanks in advance...

Guest DNelson

Nope. Doesn't sound at all right to me. No controller in his/her right mind would ever do this in IMC.DanEdit: Thinking about this, I suppose it could be done if you're still well outside the OM. Inside the marker, absolutely no way. Seems like there'd still be significant separation issues to contend with.

I read in another post that two were being used for landings the outer one and the two inner ones were for take offs. Once again from another post not from first hand knowledge but it makes sense.Kil~

KLAX has 4 parallel runways running roughly east-west. From north to south 6L, 6R

Yes, it was outside the outer marker and when I say a 360 I should probably clarify that it was more of a 180 degree turn followed briefly by another so maybe you could call it kind of a brief hold but that's what the controller did. I've been given a 360 turn on more than one occasion for spacing but this was in IMC prior to the outer marker. I don't think its so unusual for slower approach traffic.Don Bowler

Guest firmo

Hi Marc,Nice questions. I too would rather have more advanced ATC features.I have two questions:1)I know the ATC will allow altitude chage to avoid weather. Will it allow heading change for the same purpose?2) When vectoring you, will ATC also give speed instructions?Thanks,Firmo

I heard this regarding #1 from a friend, but haven't seen it myself to confirm it... but if the runway only has a few exits off of it, and the plane misses the taxiway, there are going to be alot of go arounds while the aircraft clears the taxiway... I was told a dash 8 landed which forced 2 go arounds due to the taxi exit being at the end of an 11,000 foot runway and the slow taxi speed...Can't confirm, only what I heard.Chris