Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobertizkewl

MD-11 Autopilot/Autothrottle

Guest bobertizkewl

Hi, I have the MD-11 and love it. I just had a quick question. Is there a way to engage JUST the autopilot with out the autothrottle and a way to JUST engage autothrottle without the autopilot? Instead of pressing AUTOFLIGHT? And if there is a way to do this, please tell me where the engage switches are.Thanks,Jeff Smiith

Guest Seria17hri11er
Hi, I have the MD-11 and love it. I just had a quick question. Is there a way to engage JUST the autopilot with out the autothrottle and a way to JUST engage autothrottle without the autopilot? Instead of pressing AUTOFLIGHT? And if there is a way to do this, please tell me where the engage switches are.Thanks,Jeff Smiith
Unfortunately, no. There are not seperate switches to engage just the autopilot or autothrottle. However, there is an autopilot disconnect button (on the yoke) and an autothrottle disconnect button. Both of these can be assigned a keystroke in the PMDG menu. So engage both via autoflight, then disengage whichever you do not wish to use.

Err, that is not an accurate description and may be misleading...When setting up the plane for take off, you can press autoflight to activate the autothrust system. It is however true that you cannot activate the autopilot without having the autothrust active. The first press of autoflight activates the autothrust system with speed managed by FMS or set via the FCP, the second press activates the autopilot in HDG or NAV (LNAV) mode, depending on whether NAV has been armed. Vertical navigation is controlled via the PROFile button or via the FCP...Once airborne and above 400ft AGL you may engage autoflight, the MD equivalent of autopilot with autothrust. When you wish to disconnect the autopilot, you need to depress the button on the yoke twice so that the aural warning is silenced. Autothrust disconnect is via a button on the top of the centre thrust lever (No 2 engine).I am not writing that the previous poster is wrong, just expanding on what he/she (without your name, hard to tell, sorry...) wrote and explaining a little more...Hope this helps you...Andrew

Autothrust disconnect is via a button on the top of the centre thrust lever (No 2 engine).I am not writing that the previous poster is wrong, just expanding on what he/she (without your name, hard to tell, sorry...) wrote and explaining a little more...Hope this helps you...Andrew
Just expanding some more:Autothrust disconnect buttons are found on the outside of thrustlevers 1 and 3.The above reference is the TOGA button on lever # 2.Regards,Harry

Aargh!You're right...Thanks Harry... I wasn't at home at the time, and didn't have the reference in front of me. thanks for putting me straight on that!Yes, the autothrust disconnects are positioned for the thumb of the PF...If we keep on expanding at this rate, there'll be no space in the Universe left... :(Andrew

As mentioned they're linked but just assign a Autothrottle disconnect to a button and anytime you want to control the throttles manually press it.btw Overboost will also give you manual throttle control. :(