Sign in to follow this  
Guest n930jd

Adding FMC info for fictional airports or new runways

Guest n930jd

So with NEW runway additions such as 34L/16R at KSEA the existing Navdata in FS9 (FMCWP) and PMDG Sid/Star info isn't accurate. The data out there is for a two runway Seattle. Easy enough to change the L and R to Center to get the two runways to act correctly in the FMC but this does nothing for the new runway. Essentially this is because the game itself doesn't know anything about the new runway. This would be the same with custom built fictional airports and runways. Ultimate question is how do we add these airports and runways? Is there a tutorial or anywhere in these forums where this topic has been addressed? Searches yield nothing thus far. I have the Planepath tutorial on "how to write your own approaches." That is definitely part of the puzzle but in speaking with Terry at Planepath about the subject we both agree that such is for writing only for existing runways - not new ones or fictionals. His procedures will be great once the game and the PMDG FMC recognize the new runway - but not until. Thanks y'all. Jim - KABQ

Wow, how ironic. I was just thinking about this. I fixed KSEA and wanted to know how to add the info to PMDG data. Going to give this a shot.Taylor Oldham

I just went through this yesterday with fs2004; except instead of changing the navdata I found some good AFCADS for the airports. I just got sick of trying to fly into KMIA/EHAM and trying to guess what runway is what in the FMS/FMC.

I just went through this yesterday with fs2004; except instead of changing the navdata I found some good AFCADS for the airports. I just got sick of trying to fly into KMIA/EHAM and trying to guess what runway is what in the FMS/FMC.
Funny you should mention those airports. I fly into MIA quite regularly. It's funny how most vatsim pilots are afraid of doing the LOC only approach for 08L. It's a pretty simple approach, made even easier by the amazing autoflifght system. In the real world, probably about 40% of all arrivals land on 08L.I also once tried to land on the Polderbaan when it wasn't in my scenery. Talk about embarassing!Paul

I remember my first flight into KMIA with a PMDG aircraft (747 in FS9). Radar contact told me to land at 9L and I remember looking in the DEP/APP page and seeing 9, 8R, and 8L. Sometimes it's easy to figure out the changes in RWYs like 6L and 6R in FS9=7L and 7R in the FMC at PANC, but some airports have had some major construction and RWY renaming since FS9 came out.

Well it was originally 9L,9R and 12 at Miami, then they built the runway to the north and called it runway 08. Somewhere along the line, they renamed the northern runways 08L and 08R, and the south runway became plane old 09.Now If you really want to have a headache, fly into KORD with old scenery and a current AIRAC. Then wonder why the ILS is showing full deflection and you're right on the pink line.Paul

I believe the new runways at KSEA KORD and renumbers runways elsewhere were all captured by navigraph at about cycle 0810, and have been in the data since. I also have current runways in my US collection (flightsim.com filename pmdg0911.zip) if you'd like customized routing between STARS and approaches for use in a non-ATC environment.No reason why you can't add fictional airports and procedures. Terry's tutorial got me started, and there's a pmdg wiki article that decodes the data in the navdata (or fmcwp) folder.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest n930jd
I believe the new runways at KSEA KORD and renumbers runways elsewhere were all captured by navigraph at about cycle 0810, and have been in the data since. I also have current runways in my US collection (flightsim.com filename pmdg0911.zip) if you'd like customized routing between STARS and approaches for use in a non-ATC environment.No reason why you can't add fictional airports and procedures. Terry's tutorial got me started, and there's a pmdg wiki article that decodes the data in the navdata (or fmcwp) folder.
YES! Exactly what I am looking for. Something that explains what is going on in the FMCWP data. I have some of it figured out but not all of it. I cannot find the wiki on it. Ideas? Jim

Dan's the man when it comes to FMS stuff. Another good place to look might be the forums on the Navigraph website - I used them when trying to fix the Nav Data for Kai Tak for FS9.

OK:Let's use the example of Runway 26 at KPHX:wpNavAPT.txt is the runways file:

PHOENIX SKY HARBOUR INTLKPHX26 11489258 33.440822-111.992136111.7525801135

PHOENIX SKY HARBOUR INTL: The name for the airport as written in the source data. (in this case whatever Navigraph is using, probably European given the spelling of harbor)KPHX26:The runway name. Can have a L R or C after the two digit number.11489258:This is the runway length (11,489) followed by the runway heading. (258)33.440822-111.992136111.7525801135Lat/Lon of the runway start point followed by the ILS frequency (111.75), the course (258), and the elevation. (01135)wpNavAID.txt has the info for the ILSes that you will need if you want to be able to actually enter in the ICAO for the transmitter as a waypoint or FIX page entry etc:

PHOENIX				 ICWJ ILSD 33.440050-112.033125111.75T

PHOENIX:Name from the source data, same as in the APT file.ICWJ:ICAO for the ILS station.ILSD:Type of station. (ILS with DME in this case)33.440050-112.033125111.75T:Lat/Lon for the transmitter followed by the frequency and type (T = terminal, the others are H and L for high and low altitude VORs/DMEs and N for NDBs)Get the right numbers for whatever airport (fictional or otherwise) you're trying to add, format them like this and it'll show up in the FMC.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest n930jd

OMG!!!!!!! Wow. This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thank you SO much. Guys I cannot tell you how many hours I stared at that code. I had figured out the runway length and heading and the Lat Lon in decimal conversion but was stuck beyond that. On obtaining the lat lon for the approach end I seem to lose something in the conversion from N and W to decimals for some reason. When I do an approach the position seems off just a little example being I tend to land just right of the runway etc. But, one battle at a time. Getting the code down is perfect. Thank you!