Sign in to follow this  
Peter Clemenko

A very interesting take on piracy...

I was on digg.com and I found this: http://contentsutra.com/article/419-how-co...it-from-piracy/Apparently, according to at least one game developer, piracy is actually a positive thing. This is actually interesting to me, because this is instead of just bashing piracy, figuring out ways to benefit FROM piracy as a developer. I am anti-piracy myself, as I do develop software, however I gotta say this, this is something that appears to be a pretty good take on an alternative solution and an alternative view point. Perhaps flight simulation add-on developers may be able to find a way to benefit from piracy rather than just feeling ripped off. This guy actually brings up some good concepts, because let's face it, piracy at this point is impossible to stop. It would be best to exploit the piracy rather than just trying to counter it in an effort ending in failure.

In wide-market situations, I can see some of his points ringing true.In smaller market scenarios, like specialty software (flightsim?), it's far tougher to generate such a scalable economy. Interesting discussion, but the social impact (free advertising) and economic impact (a smaller fraction of sales lost) are much different between large market and small market products... In my non-economically educated opinion, of course. :) -Greg

That was an interesting article, but not really relevant as mentioned for the highly specialized, very narrow, very small market for FS addons.But the advertising idea is interesting. I could have my virtual first officer extolling the virtues of XYZ Life Insurance or Brand X while you're in cruise. :( I'm sure that would go over real well :(

Guest AVN8tr

Really so you would rather fight piracy and not get the word out about your product.. and actually pretend the current means of distribution are working for you, even though you are BLOCKED from major market access. interesting... Personally I feel I would have never heard of any of the products I've purchased if it weren't for the kids ripping it off and drooling over how good it is.

It is always refreshing to read a more progressive point of view with regards to software piracy and file sharing (I still think that the two are not distinguished anywhere near enough). The "Die you filthy pirate ######s!!!" attitude around these forums is old and stagnant and it gets no one nowhere. Furthermore, comments like "Piracy and/or file sharing is killing the FS addon industry" are total bs. What IS killing the industry is an overload of sub-par products, lazy fs9 to fsx ports, and developers who generally just do not care. You know who you are...

Konrad

It is always refreshing to read a more progressive point of view with regards to software piracy and file sharing (I still think that the two are not distinguished anywhere near enough). The "Die you filthy pirate ######s!!!" attitude around these forums is old and stagnant and it gets no one nowhere. Furthermore, comments like "Piracy and/or file sharing is killing the FS addon industry" are total bs. What IS killing the industry is an overload of sub-par products, lazy fs9 to fsx ports, and developers who generally just do not care. You know who you are...
I agree with this, the fact is that if the industry doesn't innovate, it will die. If the industry doesn't decide to stop recycling old stuff, it will die. If the industry doesn't make quality products, no one will want to buy them, because they are not worth the money. People will always pirate, the best solution is to cut down the number of people who pirate by killing their reasons to pirate.

Apparently a few of you actually support piracy, at least vocally.

Personally I feel I would have never heard of any of the products I've purchased if it weren't for the kids ripping it off and drooling over how good it is.
Must frequent pirate web sites and such. :(I have to wonder... what kind of moral values can accept the taking of something that isn't theirs for the taking? The bottom line: it's wrong. Period.Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing can justify doing something wrong. That's a horribly slippery slope.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

So Peter, what are these reasons that people steal?

Because it's free?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Personally I feel I would have never heard of any of the products I've purchased if it weren't for the kids ripping it off and drooling over how good it is.
Really? You are here at AVSIM not at a pirate site, have a look at the front page and tell me what you see. I have purchased all my addons because of what I have read at AVSIM or have been told about by fellow simmers. I have probably been to a torrent site 2 or 3 times since I have had an internet connection as a result of a mis-click while at google and would never think about using that type if site as a means to decide on or rate a product. I really don't understand your logic.

\Robert Hamlich/

Guest AVN8tr

Uhmm AVSIM is not immune to pirates... If you look at the PMDG forums they make you give your full name before support is offered for obvious reasons. Heck anyone posting to the LDS forum asking for help is definitely a pirate... :) Heck that could apply to the HIFI sim section too. I just assume if they sound like they`re 16 years old chances are they didn`t use mommy or daddies credit card and just ripped it. I`m not accusing the adults here of anything I`m sure most understand the consequences that development would stop if they didn`t support the good products that are out there.

stupidity knows no bounds.. if the software isn't worth the price , because it's so bad and junkieWHy Download it?Or if it's really good, but the excuse to take it is. "because the scumbags developers are highway robbers".........boycott them,......instead you rob them but hey ...it's all good in your mind.? Who do you think your fooling?? It's called thievery!!... yeah ... it's called stealing...you types mess up everything ....... wait till the great bank of what goes around comes around..comes collecting. :( She aLways gets hers..

AVN,I've read some pretty bad stuff in all my years at forums, but I think yours just topped them all. I am sure some of the visitors to this thread will have some interesting comments too!I see you guys peaking in!!Geofa, did you block him? He tried posting twice.

Guest Longyear
Apparently a few of you actually support piracy, at least vocally.Must frequent pirate web sites and such. :( I have to wonder... what kind of moral values can accept the taking of something that isn't theirs for the taking? The bottom line: it's wrong. Period.Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing can justify doing something wrong. That's a horribly slippery slope.
With respect Ed, I didn't see any of the above posts supporting or validating piracy. I just saw an open and pragmatic discussion on trying to express something positive, from something intrinsically negative in nature.You have to be open minded, as much as I hate piracy, I also hate the fascist approach that some people have (I am not referring to you here, Ed, just expanding on my point) that anyone who even mentions piracy or acknowledges that it exists is blasted for it. Censoring the fact that this destructive thing exists will not make it go away.I was accused of using a pirated copy of the J41, over on the PMDG forum, purely on the basis that I made this comment; "I recently tried out the J41 on a friend's PC". I am 62 and have never used pirated software in my life and would not even know where or how to get it. Yet some fascists will jump on an innocent comment like that I made above (I do have friends in this hobby, and I did fly the J41 on a friend's legitimately purchased version of the add-on). People are too happy to accuse fellow simmers without basis, and fire there tirade of hate at a potentially innocent person.Piracy exists and the reasons it exists are complex. But at least trying to extract some benefit or positive aspect from it may help to reduce it's harm.Davido.

So Peter, what are these reasons that people steal?
The point I'm trying to make is this, the fact is that people need to take advantage of the issues out there. It's impossible to stop piracy, however if flight sim developers decide to act as this article suggests, it may be beneficial in the end. Most people who steal these (yes it is stealing, and theft is wrong), don't have ether the money, or can't validate this kind of stuff at the price. I personally don't agree with piracy, on moral grounds, and on karma grounds, however I also have a tendency to analyze why people do this in order to make my software better so people don't feel as inclined to steal it. I know that people will steal my stuff, it's a matter of convincing those who do steal it that it is worth the money so the end up buying it in the end. I would rather someone stole my product, and decided it was worth the money, and bought it, than someone just stealing it, because they can't justify the price, and then not bothering to buy it when they do have the money.Personally I think a lot of piracy can be avoided by having demos, even time limited ones. I know a lot of people a lot more willing to buy stuff when there is a demo, rather than just plopping down 50 on a product they don't know if it's good or not. Even reviews can't fully illustrate if someone will like a product, only a demo can.Personally I feel that I should boycott products I don't like, and can't validate the price for. I'm going to be doing that for Left 4 Dead 2 as to me it's just glorified DLC. I also am boycotting Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising because from what I've been told, and from what I've heard from my friends who bought it, it's a Piece of Crap.I have a policy, that I don't pirate anything, however I try to analyze why people pirate and try to counter the reasons. Piracy will always be around, it's a matter of minimizing it, not just blasting them, but finding out why they do it and making your product to the point at which someone will not do it. There will always be bad apples, however there are some people out there who will buy stuff if they can justify it. Just because I'm standing up and saying that maybe people should approach this from a different angle, does not mean I support the people who do this kind of crap, however it does mean that I tend to agree that sometimes the best solution is to think outside the box to find a way to counter the problem.