Sign in to follow this  
thefsxflyer

My repaint night textures

The last couple of days I have been painting the PMDG 747 and noticed when testing it out when I turn on the lights such as the logo and landing lights the texture is white. I am very new at painting and in fact this is my first paint. I just need help with the night textures.Can some one just give me a brief over view for putting the files together and what files to paint?Here is an image of what I am talking about.Taylor Oldham

Hi Taylor, The problem is, is that you need an Alpha Channel. I can only say how it's done in Adobe Photoshop, but imagine it is close to the same in any other editor.1.) Open an existing PMDG plane (PMDG_747_fuse_Left_T.dds or PMDG_747_fuse_Right_T.dds, either can be copied to both of your left and right)2.) Click the "Channels" tab3.) Drag and drop the "ALPHA" channel from the PMDG plane to your repaint4.) Save and Enjoy your flight *Do for both LEFT and RIGHT Fuse.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thank you so much! As I said, I am a beginner painter so there are some things I am just missing but thanks so much. If you can tell at all, my designs are not that amazing by any standards. By the way, if anyone finds this forum and needs help, flatten the image first because photoshop won't let you save because of too many channels.Taylor Oldham

You're very welcome. Repaints get easier for sure and are quite fun,,, well maybe not entirely haha. It looks good from what I can see of it.I emailed support a couple years ago that perhaps they should include the Alpha channel in their paint kit, but just checked the latest paint kit and I guess they missed that email :( Good advice on the flatten image btw.The biggest problem I had figuring out was exactly how to save it... The directions said DXT5 format, but there are still other options and if left as is you get nasty dull paints.If you download and install the texture tools they suggest (the ones I use), for best results save as follows:* .DDS extension* DXT5 ARGB 8bpp | interpolated alpha* 2D Texture* MIP Map Generation = No MIP mapsThis will give the best readability and nice gloss finish look.Here's a pic of the settings as well.dds.jpghttp://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae298/Turbine777/dds.jpg

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I am actually doing that :) Except I don't think I did "no mip maps" I might have to wait until next paint. I need to organize my work more lolTaylor Oldham